Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opinions on "On-One Pompetamine Alfine 11 Speed" please.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Hmmm Im ready to make the change to drops, but most of my commute is in the city, and I constantly hover over the brakes, so it might be a step too far...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,135 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

droidus wrote: »
    Hmmm Im ready to make the change to drops, but most of my commute is in the city, and I constantly hover over the brakes, so it might be a step too far...

You can "hover" over the brakes on the hoods. I normally use the hoods in heavy traffic and switch to the drops when it clears.

OK. In for a penny. I guess Ill have to try it out before I cross to the dark side. Shame they havent built a dynamo into their front wheel.

Shame they haven't built a dynamo into their front wheel.

The On One site says "Shimano Alfine dynamo front wheels are now available on request."

FWIW I'm currently experiencing major problems with slipping gears after my crash a week ago. It's probably a cable issue, but in my research I found this:

http://hubstripping.wordpress.com/2010/02/03/11-speed-alfine-hub-from-shimano/

Check out the comments.

Some might raise objections to any system of gearing which requires using vernier calipers to set cable length and multi-hundred-euro equipment to do an oil change.

However, please buy an Alfine 11 bike like me so that Holyboy has a business case to buy all this kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Lumen wrote: »
    FWIW I'm currently experiencing major problems with slipping gears after my crash a week ago.

That was you had a fall out of the fast group on the Swords Sportive?

RT66 wrote: »
    That was you had a fall out of the fast group on the Swords Sportive?

Yes. No major damage, just pride and skin.

The On One site says "Shimano Alfine dynamo front wheels are now available on request."

FWIW I'm currently experiencing major problems with slipping gears after my crash a week ago. It's probably a cable issue, but in my research I found this:

http://hubstripping.wordpress.com/2010/02/03/11-speed-alfine-hub-from-shimano/

Check out the comments.

Some might raise objections to any system of gearing which requires using vernier calipers to set cable length and multi-hundred-euro equipment to do an oil change.

However, please buy an Alfine 11 bike like me so that Holyboy has a business case to buy all this kit.

Some scary stuff there. How was it running before the crash? Any skipping?

How was it running before the crash? Any skipping?

The only skipping I remember before the crash was when I changed down without moving the lever to it's full extent. The lever travels quite far on the down change, although the lever action is very light so it's not really a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Myself and another guy passed by shortly afterwards. You didn't look comfy in that ditch. Glad to hear you're OK.
    I got to admire your bike when you were chatting with Lusk Doyle and cdaly_ at the start. It's a thing of beauty, and I hope you get it back 100%.
    Yes. No major damage, just pride and skin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

From Shimano techdocs...

"Failure to use the SG-S700 Oil may cause problems such as oil leakage,
    derailleur malfunctions, etc"

I'm not sure I understand the derailleur thing, maybe I'm missing something!

Suppose I shouldn't take the chance, better bite the bullet and buy a liter of their yellow gold. It'll probably last me ten years or so, unless I spill it on the ground:rolleyes:

Advertisement