Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paid Apps on Android Market with a UK Sim Card

Options
  • 31-08-2010 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

I heard that there are a few ways of getting paid apps in Ireland. The two most common seem to be to "root" your phone or insert a UK sim card.

On other threads here people say "I've heard that inserting a uk sim works" or "it's easy, just insert a uk sim and it will work once you set up a Google Checkout account with a uk post code and do it over wifi".

I like to hear from somebody who has actually done this and got it to work and maybe explain what I'm doing wrong because I can't get it to work. I can't see paid apps!

I have an unlocked non-rooted HTC Desire running Froyo (2.2).
    I have inserted a UK 02 sim card I purchased in the North. I've phoned it from another phone so it is working ok.
    I've set up a Google Checkout account using my standard gmail account, selected the uk as my home, irish billing address for my credit card and a uk post code. The google checkout account seemed to set up ok and returned no errors.
    However, when entering the market on my phone with the uk sim installed I still see the standard apps available in Ireland i.e. Top Free and Just In - NO PAID APPS.

Does anybody have any clues as to why this is happening. It shouldn't relate to my google checkout account as I can't even get to see a paid app let alone buy one.

Cheers for your help on this ....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 yekrallum

Please post proven alternatives or 'easier' ways to get paid apps here if any exist!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

i usually use a vodafone ireland prepay sim in my o2 branded unlocked htc desire.

i put a vodafone uk prepay sim into my desire. i connected to wifi. i bought a paid app (the paid version of advanced task manager in this case). i purchased using my gmail account and google checkout. i let the download / install finish.

i put my vodafone ireland sim back in and the paid app is on my phone.

i need to put the uk sim in each time i want to buy a new paid app.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Not sure if this has any bearing but are you using the SIM card for data or Wifi?

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Nekro Man

would using an irish number in the north or the UK still work? or does it have to be a UK sim?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

it's based on the sim card in the phone and not the network you're connected to from what i understand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Ample Free ...?

As far as I know the google checkout details shouldn't matter. All that matters is the SIM card. I use a '3' uk sim card which is switched with my meteor SIM when buying apps.

When I did it in the past, there would be 3 tabs in the market app: Top Free, Top Paid and Just In. Now though there's just two: Top Free and Just In. The paid apps are still there though. Are you sure that you definitely don't have access to the paid apps. If not do a quick search and see if there's any apps with a price tag beside them??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

OP, that's the same with me. I just search the names of the paid apps and they then come up. It's the only way ive found to work.
    EDIT: Didn't see the above post.

Google checkout details don't affect it, mine are all Irish with a makey-upey postcode (IIRC).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

I use a US sim card but the idea is the same. You put in the SIM, go to the market using wi-fi and search for the apps you want. The market itself will only display the "top free" and "just in" but you can search for the paid apps and find them and purchase them.

I'm guessing the restriction on the "top free and just in" option is down to there not being a legitmate market here.....

As an aside my SIM is no longer a valid one for making calls but still works perfectly for buying apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

With a bit of luck this method won't be necessary from some time soon.

http://androidandme.com/2010/09/news/android-market-adding-paid-apps-support-for-aditional-countries/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Follow the other posts about how to purchase paid apps, go to the market now however and download AppBrain app market, this will give you all different categories and filters and it will then redirect you to the App in the Market, can't recommend it enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Dave147 wrote: »
    Follow the other posts about how to purchase paid apps, go to the market now however and download AppBrain app market, this will give you all different categories and filters and it will then redirect you to the App in the Market, can't recommend it enough.

Not only that but using it with fast web installer you can browse appbrain.com on your pc and set apps to download and install automagically

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭madarekrap

Hi Guys,

i am running an unlocked Desire with Froyo, the phone was originally T-Mobile from Germany I have concluded. (It was only updated to 2.2 a few weeks ago) Anyway U hear that we can now buy apps, but they don't appear when I go to the market.... I recently visited Italy where I bought a Wind sim card and had no problems buying apps with that, can anybody think of anything that might sort this out????

Not quite available yet, any day now though, sit tight.

JustinOval wrote: »
    Not quite available yet, any day now though, sit tight.

Thanks man, I thought there was something up with my phone!

I see there are paid apps showing up now, nice!

Advertisement