Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

An Post Series Yeats Tour of Sligo Sunday 3 May

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i'll be there on the 100km in my donegal bay cc gear (there may be a few of us)!

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭heartofwhite

I will also be there on the 100k! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭heartofwhite

I will also be there on the 100k! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Was really hoping to do the 100k this year but have a family wedding that I can't get out of unfortunately. Was injured last year so maybe next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Yip I'll chance the 100k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kevincavan83

Just doing the 60k one myself.
    First long distance anything ive done, only back in a saddle since 1999.
    What kind of pace does it be at?
    Staying up for the weekend, is their any social events afterwards?

Just doing the 60k one myself.
    First long distance anything ive done, only back in a saddle since 1999.
    What kind of pace does it be at?
    Staying up for the weekend, is their any social events afterwards?

All kinds of paces the 60 is a nice spin not much climbing . Not sure re entertainment after it but bank hol weekend town should be busy . Sligo Races are also on sunday afternoon

cavan4sam wrote: »
    All kinds of paces the 60 is a nice spin not much climbing . Not sure re entertainment after it but bank hol weekend town should be busy . Sligo Races are also on sunday afternoon

Cheers cavan4sam,

Sure looks like we'll be able to replenish our liquids somewhere so
    😂😂😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Well the car is packed. I can't see the weather being any better over in the West so the wet gear will be needed by the looks of it. Still looking forward to it though.

3 bikes inside a citroen on route to sligo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭gambeta_fc

3 bikes inside a citroen on route to sligo

Impressive bit of packing!

Good to see bikes get priority over passengers too ... as it should be :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

Just picked up the jersey there, big crowd at the IT. Giving the 100k a lash and vowed not to walk the last 50m of the Hungry Rock like last time- had a few momentum issues :p

• Registered Users Posts: 29 shaycl

would it be possible to enter in the morning of the event.Just checked the forecast and it's going to be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭darkvalley

As far as I am aware the closing date was wednesday 29th and you cant enter now.

Just back from reg now. Right big crowd buzzing around the IT. Loads of people in the bike shops stocking up on bars and gels, waterproof gloves in short supply too! Really hope the weather holds up for the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

I'm doing the 100k, didn't get any gels though, a few nutri grain bars and a couple of banana's with two bottles of water should see me through I hope?
    Weather not looking too good for tomorrow, better pack the rain jackets!

Weather does not look too bad for tomorrow. Less wind than today and warmer. Heavy rain forecast but for the afternoon. Good motivation to go faster and get finished early!!

darkvalley wrote: »
    Weather does not look too bad for tomorrow. Less wind than today and warmer. Heavy rain forecast but for the afternoon. Good motivation to go faster and get finished early!!

In that case, can I suck your wheel for the 100k?

rizzodun wrote: »
    In that case, can I suck your wheel for the 100k?

That's all of us on his wheel then ! Running round filling the car with various combinations of gear for tommorrow.

Ah sure ye are all welcome to suck my wheel. But if i'm truly honest, I talk a much better spin that I pedal it!

• Advertisement

One word of advise to anyone travelling 2moro ........wetgear ..freezing in sligo at the minute ......have any of ye a child of prague to leave out tonight :)

i

cavan4sam wrote: »
    One word of advise to anyone travelling 2moro ........wet gear ..freezing in sligo at the minute ......have any of ye a child of prague to leave out tonight :)

Wet Gear is 2 words :p

I'm planning to cycle in to town from home, does it start usually on time? Don't fancy hanging around being miserable waiting for the start, the rain doesn't usually bother me if we keep moving.

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Wet Gear is 2 words :p

not now it isnt........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭seven stars

Doing the 100 meself.

shaycl wrote: »
    would it be possible to enter in the morning of the event.Just checked the forecast and it's going to be ok.

I was chatting to one of the organisers today, and they allow a very small number of entries on the Saturday, and again on the Sunday from what she was saying. I only registered today myself.

I'd advise getting down there early enough if you're interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

Registration available in the morning according to this fb post...

libelula wrote: »
    Registration available in the morning according to this fb post...

I think they mean event sign in, where you get your number, food band, jersey etc, it was on this evening but also in the morning. Still turn up and see how you get on.

great day out managed to miss most of the showers

big shout out to damien at eire og who kept me company (ie dragged me round) for the second half of the route

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/764105883#

158bpm average :eek:

Met a school mate I hadn't seen in a while at the start, stayed with him for the first 20k so it was nice to catch up, he was on for a faster time so dropped me and headed on, plodded round most of the way on my own, didn't do any of the food stops, a group passed me a few k after the first stop and told me to jump on the back if I wanted, which I duly obliged, ended up letting them after 10k more go as I developed a pain in my back and needed to stop to get off the bike and stretch it out, and did the rest of the route more or less on my own, passed more people than passed me I think so happy with the result.

100k in just over 4hrs, then a further 30k from the cycle to the event and home after.

• Advertisement

stopped second time through at the food stop looked at the queue the full length of the football pitch and thought f**k that. stopped at ballintogher got sandwich bar tea cake etc with no queue - right decision.

also got to say o'hehirs doing the food at the end worked well forgot they were running that canteen now even got a hot veggie meal a first for me at the tour of sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Quickpip

After the rain on Saturday night I feared the worst, but apart from one almighty downpour around 5km from the finish line wasn't too bad. Completed the 100km in a total time 3hrs 50 mins with about a 15 min break in Coolaney. Arrived fairly early at Coolaney so wasn't much of a queue and the food was great. Nearly got wiped out in Dromahair when a little old dear pulled out without looking. The hill out of Dromahair seemed to go on for ever and must have been tough for the 160km. All in all a brilliantly run event. Some photos on Sean Carleton Photography page on facebook. I would post the link but site rules prevent me as I haven't posted enough times.

The weather turned out to be not too bad at all. Queue for food was long alright but it moved reasonably fast. Marshaling was great, I don't think I had to stop at any junction throughout the day. Gardai seem to have all the car traffic stopped for the cyclists. Very enjoyable spin and well done to all concerned.

I had a car ignore the Garda on our first pass through Ballisodare and come onto the roundabout forcing me to stop sharpish, was in the wrong gear because of it and had trouble clipping in so ended up crawling through trying to get up speed when setting off again, the marshal apologised and the Garda was giving the driver a right ear bashing when I was leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭seven stars

Great event alright, really enjoyed it.

Any idea where all the pics go? I mean there are hundreds of them on the Facebook page, but none of me or the other half. Must be that we're not very photogenic. :pac:

Great event alright, really enjoyed it.

Any idea where all the pics go? I mean there are hundreds of them on the Facebook page, but none of me or the other half. Must be that we're not very photogenic. :pac:

Check the latest post on sligo recreation facebook page their is a link to slogo outdoor sports (or something like that)
    I got my ugly mug in twice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Very well organised event as usual. Only did the 60k - glad the rain kept away for most of it.

Saw one crash in front of me - didn't look too serious, took 5 or 6 cyclists down, not sure what caused it, as it was on a straight stretch of road. First time seeing a crash on any of the An Post cycles I've done.

Also, saw some dope descending down a hill and overtaking on the wrong side of the road. Car comes agaisnt him so he has to jam on the brakes and veer into a group of cyclists - very lucky not to cause a crash.
    Very annoying seeing this, especially for beginners, it must be very unsettling for them.

Advertisement