Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016 Toyota Avensis

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

CoDy1 wrote: »
    Toyota=Hotpoint
    :pac:

If they're using BMW internals and selling them for less then that makes BMW zanussi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Looks class, a bit like a fat GT86. The interior looks really nice too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    Cause Toyota diesels were crap. And it costs too much to develop, so did a deal with BMW for their teechnology. I'd say the Toyota-ised diesels will be grand.

Crap how exactly????

Im not saying the 2.0 d4d is the nicest engine ever made - but I can't see how its so bad it would cost too much to develop.

One would ASSUME that Toyota would factor in the need to develop new engines over time - into their long term planning.

Your probably right in that for Toyota it costs too much - but my argument would be - that - its not because the 2.0 d4d is a crap engine.

Its because Toyota don't have the proper respect and time for the European market to actually engage in diesel engine development.

Anyway - re timing chains - from what what I recall reading possibly here - it costs about a grand to do an Almera timing chain at a Nissan dealer - im very much open to correction on that though.

But the Almera is a front wheel drive installation - just like the Avensis will be - if the job costs a grand - its an issue - but for an owner they can get it done as a precaution during the cars service life (just iike a timing belt)

A major issue with BMWs timing chain issues - is the difficulty in doing the job. Hopefully the Toyota installation will allow for easier timing chain swops IF needed.

Is it literally just the timing chain or a part of it that's the issue on the BMW - I thought it was just a small part that's the issue - causing all the hassle. if so Tloyota MIGHT be able to remedy the issue with a BETTER part.

One can only hope - meanwhile - I still think Toyotas attitude to the European market is pretty poor.

The Mk 3 Yaris is another big disappointment - after the 1st 2 generations of Yaris did a decent job

I reckon the 2.0 D-4D was great 15 years ago, and has been updated a few times since then. There must be a reason they also had the 2.2 engine on their books, logically you'd say they could have offered a 180bhp version of the 2.0, but they didn't. They only went to 125ps, they even did 135 and 150ps versions of the 2.2 rather than developing the 2.0.
    My guess is that the 2.0 wouldn't meet future emissions regulations without a complete rework, Toyota don't see diesels in their long term plans, their hybrid range is expanding, and given that BMW are using toyotas hybrid tech it makes sense fir Toyota to use bmws diesel tech.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

ANY CHANCE OF A REPLY FROM:-

TOYOTAFANBOI.

What year was ur post 2011 BMW Model u had the timing chain prob with ???

I never had or never said i had a 2011 BMW with a chain problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

that version will never appear on Irish roads, show us the cloth seat version with a tape deck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,412 ✭✭✭ofcork

cullow123 wrote: »
    This is meant to be the final version of the Toyota Avensis as most car manufactures only release one facelift model during a models life cycle, I would have thought Toyota would have done a complete overhaul of the exterior as well as interior. The cheap plastic wood on the interior does not suit it at all.

They should have done a new model though as this shape is around since 09 with a facelift in 2012 so over 6 years old now.

You could say the same about the hiace though. Ran from 1995 till 2013. They didn't invest in it because it wouldn't have given them enough of a return. They replaced it with a badge engineered Peugeot instead.
    Toyota are a lot of things, but stupid isn't one of them.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    You could say the same about the hiace though. Ran from 1995 till 2013. They didn't invest in it because it wouldn't have given them enough of a return. They replaced it with a badge engineered Peugeot instead.
    Toyota are a lot of things, but stupid isn't one of them.

a family saloon and a utilitarian work vehicle are completely different though. Sure the land cruiser 70 is still for sale in some parts of the world because it gets the job it needs to do done. Irish people are all about the number on the reg but it only goes so far in terms of model age.

• Advertisement

Aye, but ireland is only a minnow in the car buying market.
    They axed the Camry and they could just as easily axe the avensis. Corolla and avensis are too close size wise anyway.
    Point about the hiace is thst it's a model that you'd imagine would be worth replacing with a new model, but the figures obviously didn't add up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Old diesel wrote: »
    Crap how exactly????

A major issue with BMWs timing chain issues - is the difficulty in doing the job. Hopefully the Toyota installation will allow for easier timing chain swops IF needed.

Is it literally just the timing chain or a part of it that's the issue on the BMW - I thought it was just a small part that's the issue - causing all the hassle. if so Tloyota MIGHT be able to remedy the issue with a BETTER part.
    The crankshaft needs to be replaced as the sprocket is made onto it, on the BMW anyway. A big job, as you might appreciate.

166man wrote: »
    Looks pretty "nothingy" to me tbh. I'm sure BMW's diesels with their timing chain problems will only add to Toyotas ever famous reliability as well!

the challenger rocket exploded, so it'll add to the propellor planes legendary reliability.

no matter how far toyota want to go its still old tech thats been proven for a decade or more, introduced in a cheap plastic package and sold at a lower price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Alot of Avensis hate on here :p

Im sure my auld lad will love it

Alot of Avensis hate on here :p

Im sure my auld lad will love it

I have one. You can't remap them, so the boy racers leave them alone, meaning cheap insurance. Cheap to run too and practical if you have a hatchback like mine. I put a single bed in the back of mine last week. Obviously with the seats down and the ends off the bed, but it fit in.

I wouldn't have the new one though, as they don't come in a hatchback, and I'm not old enough for an estate yet!:pac:

pablo128 wrote: »
    I have one. You can't remap them, so the boy racers leave them alone, meaning cheap insurance. Cheap to run too and practical if you have a hatchback like mine. I put a single bed in the back of mine last week. Obviously with the seats down and the ends off the bed, but it fit in.

I wouldn't have the new one though, as they don't come in a hatchback, and I'm not old enough for an estate yet!:pac:

See this is the bugbear I have with the Avensis

The Mk 2 is actually a decent car - and quite a decent jump from the Mk 1 - and for Toyota at the time - it was a definite move forward. The big issue with the Mk 2 in Ireland was the insistence on having 1.6s for tax reasons - and the irish tendency to spec low/basic. Both not the cars fault really.

Been a passenger in a then new 03 Mk 2 D4D 2.0 Avensis was a bit of a revelation at the time - quiet (by diesel standards of the era) - surprisingly comfy. Black interior a bit annoying - but that's an issue I have with ANYTHING with a black interior with no leather - not just Toyotas.

I was in love with the idea that here was this yoke that wasn't that far off Merc and big old Renault standards of ride comfort - but could do 50 mpg - and it was a TOYOTA. Good times :D

The Mk 3 was just a depressing disappointment.

The Corolla was the same - 02 to 07 model - nice car - very nice - but the 2007 model - dear god - what were they thinking.

So to sum up - Toyota - 2005 - going places - making progress.

Toyota 2010 - giving up the battle for the European market.

In saying that however - for balance - the new Auris tourer does look nice

• Advertisement

pablo128 wrote: »
    The crankshaft needs to be replaced as the sprocket is made onto it, on the BMW anyway. A big job, as you might appreciate.

:( no worries - surely its time for BMW to actually change that engine completely. Its a mess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They are, the B47 engine is currently phasing out the old N47 engine across the BMW range. Don't think Toyota cars are getting this engine though.

bazz26 wrote: »
    They are, the B47 engine is currently phasing out the old N47 engine across the BMW range. Don't think Toyota cars are getting this engine though.

So BMW are using B47 for their own range - but Avensis and Toyota are getting N47???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

How is the B47 different from the N47?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

So BMW are using B47 for their own range - but Avensis and Toyota are getting N47???

Afaik they will be reworked 1.6 and 2.0 N47 engines.

• Advertisement

a family saloon and a utilitarian work vehicle are completely different though. Sure the land cruiser 70 is still for sale in some parts of the world because it gets the job it needs to do done. Irish people are all about the number on the reg but it only goes so far in terms of model age.

i would have thought a family saloon is a "utilitarian work vehicle" in its own regard. children and child seats being moved in and out, school runs, lots of eating/ drinking/ mess in the car, prams and **** going in and out of the boot, moving the occasional chest of drawers etc and all in between the daily commute. to a lot of people a car that can take a good dose of punishment means a lot more than one that is marginally more comfortable etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

I look forward to many roundel lickers having awkward moments along the lines of this:

ConservativeSchoolTeacher111: Oh no my Avensis needs a 1k repair job. Something about the timing belt?

RoundelLickerN47: HurHur you should have bought a German car with German engineering and reliability not that cloth spec car with tape deck because a boggo 3 series never came with a tape deck years after Japanese cars had CD player defintely not.

ObjectiveBoardsie: Well actually it's the German fail-gineering is responsible for this mess, the good news is that the Japanese didn't make the problem as inaccessible. And lets face it, the Mazda 626 had better spec as standard than the base model 3 series of the time.

RoundelLickerN47: lalalalalalalalalalala

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

I look forward to many roundel lickers having awkward moments along the lines of this:

ConservativeSchoolTeacher111: Oh no my Avensis needs a 1k repair job. Something about the timing belt?

RoundelLickerN47: HurHur you should have bought a German car with German engineering and reliability not that cloth spec car with tape deck because a boggo 3 series never came with a tape deck years after Japanese cars had CD player defintely not.

ObjectiveBoardsie: Well actually it's the German fail-gineering is responsible for this mess, the good news is that the Japanese didn't make the problem as inaccessible. And lets face it, the Mazda 626 had better spec as standard than the base model 3 series of the time.

RoundelLickerN47: lalalalalalalalalalala

:D

Are ya well at all there??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Are ya well at all there??
    F**k no. hahaha

The Mk 2 is actually a decent car - and quite a decent jump from the Mk 1 - and for Toyota at the time - it was a definite move forward. The big issue with the Mk 2 in Ireland was the insistence on having 1.6s for tax reasons - and the irish tendency to spec low/basic. Both not the cars fault really.

I agree. My one is a 05 UK spec T4 2.0 D4D. Plenty of toys, auto wipers, auto dim rear view, 17's etc.

My bro got an Irish 1.8 one recently. Leather, all the usual extras, and an electric sunroof. Someone went ballistic with the options list! Probably a lotto winner!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Yep, the Mk 2 is fine to be fair. A little dull, interior could be a bit better, but it does everything reasonably well and just gets on with the job. The Mk3 is a pile of dung though. It's so far off the mark, that they should be selling it for about 5 grand cheaper than they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭James Delaney

So theres no mix up - Can the MK 3 or 2 admires post a photo disolaying ... whichever model.

Thks.

So theres no mix up - Can the MK 3 or 2 admires post a photo disolaying ... whichever model.

Thks.

mk3:
    Avensis_2190694k.jpg

mk2:
    5_Toyota%20Avensis%20-%202003-2008.jpg

The reality is they're both a bit sh1t though.. Especially the Mk3, had the displeasure of having one for a weekend from work, 2.0 D something something. Honestly nothing redeemable about the car. And I'm being serious here, having driven both. Did 1500km in that Mk3 for the weekend I had it.

The reality is they're both a bit sh1t though.. Especially the Mk3, had the displeasure of having one for a weekend from work, 2.0 D something something. Honestly nothing redeemable about the car. And I'm being serious here, having driven both. Did 1500km in that Mk3 for the weekend I had it.

The mk 2 is a 12 year old design now to be fair (launched 2003)

They clearly aren't drivers cars - and obviously don't have the spark/character of an Alfa. But in 2003/04 a Mk 2 Avensis WAS a decent car.

The Mk 3 was a massive mess up though - really I don't get the mindset behind it.

Think Tea 1000s (I think) comment that the Mk 3 should be 5 grand cheaper then it is - is probably on the money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

The mk2 is far from a "sh1t" car. It's actually a very good car. It might be a bit bland but tbh It does most things very well. It ticks a lot of boxes for most peoples needs and that's why they are so popular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    The mk2 is far from a "sh1t" car. It's actually a very good car. It might be a bit bland but tbh It does most things very well. It ticks a lot of boxes for most peoples needs and that's why they are so popular.

Which is why they're running for window regulators/boot switches/injectors/driveshafts/gear cables/wheels/splashguards/bulb holders/turbos/heat shields all the time...?

The local yard can't keep hold of good 1.8vvti engines to put into avensis. Whilst the d4d doesn't give much bother there are about 3 different types of the 2.0 fitted

Would you like me to refer you to a toyota breakers yard and you can ask whats the best breaker they have....? I see a lot more corollas on the roads in the north too

I await a response

dgt wrote: »
    Which is why they're running for window regulators/boot switches/injectors/driveshafts/gear cables/wheels/splashguards/bulb holders/turbos/heat shields all the time...?

The local yard can't keep hold of good 1.8vvti engines to put into avensis. Whilst the d4d doesn't give much bother there are about 3 different types of the 2.0 fitted

Would you like me to refer you to a toyota breakers yard and you can ask whats the best breaker they have....? I see a lot more corollas on the roads in the north too

I await a response
    Lol :pac:

Just what i was expecting. No proper answer, just the usual sh*te :D

Get the facts right eh ;)

dgt wrote: »
    Just what i was expecting. No proper answer, just the usual sh*te :D

Get the facts right eh ;)
    You have to ask a proper question to get a "proper answer". Outside of that The usual sh*te in response to "the usual sh*te" :D :pac:

You have to ask a proper question to get a "proper answer". Outside of that The usual sh*te in response to "the usual sh*te" :D :pac:

You are correct. The red paint does fade very well actually. But as always, they're built extremely well. Something being popular doesn't mean it's any good. Take a look at the Mk5 Golf 1.4 for example...;)

You haven't much to say about the Mk3 either so I'm going to go on my own personal experience and say it's a "bit sh1t" too.

WHATS WRONG WITH THE GOLF MK 5 - IS that the current New version ?

I find this tread amusing but Uninformative.

All I hear is, the MK3 & 2 are Sh*t Cars.

But the Mk3 is worst Sh*t than the Mark 2.

Can some1 please list Why the Mk 3 is Utter Sh*t & Why the Mk 2 is less Sh*t.

Thank You.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 driver123

Avensis owners perspective:
    I used to have a 120 mile round trip for work 5 days a week (35,000 miles approx p/a).
    During that time I drove/owned:
    04 Avensis mk2
    06 Avensis mk2
    08 Avensis mk2
    09 Avensis mk3

All were UK imported with plenty of spec about them,
    I would buy the cars with about 70,000 miles on them and about 3 years old.
    The cars would be serviced every 10,000 miles.
    I did not miss one day due to the car having any issues in the 9 or so years working there.
    Beyond regular servicing, fuel and tyres I didnt have to spend a penny on them.

On a number of occasions we traveled with the family to london and took the car via rosslare/pembrook and every time on arrival, everyone felt relatively fresh, with no aches and pains, after 4/5 hour journey times.

If you want a comfortable car to pass the miles away in and still feel fresh on arrival, and you want reasonable fuel economy and reliability for a reasonable price (usually paid around 15/16k for them), then in my experience I would rate them highly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

In black it has a Darth Vader look.

@Driver 123 - Thank U.

So the reason for UK Imports was a much better spec than IRL cars.

Where the engines Petrol r Disel?
    1.6 r 2.0L.

U say you owned both a Mk2 & a Mk 3.
    Which was the best & Why?

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SBPhoto

I have had 5 Toyota Avensis, Mk.1 MK.2 X2 all i.6 petrol MK.3 X2 2.0L Deisel. Apart from servicing cost, tyres ect never had a problem with any of the 5 cars. I found the Mk.3 Deisel the nicest to drive but just a little underpowered. very economical Have changed to an Audi A3 Deisel
    2.0L now and love it. But would not knock the Toyota Avensis, the are far from a "****e" car.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 driver123

All my cars were 2.0 diesel. Was getting 55mpg on the motorway runs which was good enough for me.
    Found the UK cars to be better speced and in better condition that the irish counterparts. Price wise there wasn't a massive difference, although at 15k UK car would be a much higher spec than its irish equivalent at the same price.
    Found the mk3 a step up from the mk2 comfort wise, and in my opinion better looking, but both we very easy to live with.

In the past I had citroens, VW, mitsubishi, nissan, but the avensis was the only car I went back to again and again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,412 ✭✭✭ofcork

I had a mk 2 avensis 1.6 for over 7 years and never an issue with it,changed to a mk 3 diesel 2l in November last year and so far so good,plenty of poke and very good cruiser.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,511 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Future member of the Garda fleet, presumably.

This could be epic actually. Picture some knob bragging about his new BMW. Then ask him, 'is that the one with the Avensis engine?' Cue outraged BMW guy!:pac:

Same as someone years ago asking a BMW driver if their car has the rover 75 engine in it. Just makes the person asking the question look silly more than anything :)

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Same as someone years ago asking a BMW driver if their car has the rover 75 engine in it. Just makes the person asking the question look silly more than anything :)

I know a few lads it would wind up. Including a work mate who used to give me stick about driving a Toyota, until his 320d timing chain had to be changed! Oh how I LOL'ed into his sour face!:D

driver123 wrote: »
    Avensis owners perspective:
    I used to have a 120 mile round trip for work 5 days a week (35,000 miles approx p/a).
    During that time I drove/owned:
    04 Avensis mk2
    06 Avensis mk2
    08 Avensis mk2
    09 Avensis mk3

All were UK imported with plenty of spec about them,
    I would buy the cars with about 70,000 miles on them and about 3 years old.
    The cars would be serviced every 10,000 miles.
    I did not miss one day due to the car having any issues in the 9 or so years working there.
    Beyond regular servicing, fuel and tyres I didnt have to spend a penny on them.

On a number of occasions we traveled with the family to london and took the car via rosslare/pembrook and every time on arrival, everyone felt relatively fresh, with no aches and pains, after 4/5 hour journey times.

If you want a comfortable car to pass the miles away in and still feel fresh on arrival, and you want reasonable fuel economy and reliability for a reasonable price (usually paid around 15/16k for them), then in my experience I would rate them highly.

To be fair, you only drove them for 1-2 years if I'm reading that correctly. I wouldn't expect that much to go wrong...!

Most cars in that segment would do, and will do everything a Toyota does, except they do it better.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement