Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shimano 105 5800

• 16-04-2015 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

just wondering has any one got that type of gearing System on there bike,

and if so how does it shift smoothly.. currently running 6700 Ultegra 10speed Trouble compact..

looking at Wiggle i can get everything but the breaks for 377.74
    i would be going with the Ultegra 6800 11 Speed Chain..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭bren_mc

you can currently get the complete 5800 for €388.64 on http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

I upgraded to 105 5800 from the previous 105 version. I found shifting to be buttery smooth compared to the previous version. But was not comparing to ultegra only older 105.

I imagine it would compare well with maybe an older ultegra version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I upgraded from Shimano Claris to 105 5800 so I can't give an Ultegra comparison. It shifts perfectly. The rear mech changes seamlessly and is a lot more responsive than the Claris mech. The front shift is much, much smoother and quicker than the Claris but I found it awkward to adjust after installing it but maybe that's just me.

I got it for €375 in December 2014 from Merlin. They do a groupset that they use for bike builds that doesn't come in fancy packaging which saves a few bob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Dipsomaniac

I have 105 5700 on one bike and 105 5800 on the new bike.

The 5800 is extremely smooth in comparison.

It could just be the age of the 5700 or less gaps in the 11 speed compared to 10 or the new tech.

Its feels much better though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭paulgs

looking at Wiggle i can get everything but the breaks for 377.74 i would be going with the Ultegra 6800 11 Speed Chain..

Ribble is your best bet they are always doing discount codes as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭JMcL

bren_mc wrote: »
    you can currently get the complete 5800 for €388.64 on http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/

Question: As it's been a while since I ordered from Ribble, is the quoted Euro price what they charge you, or is it a "guide" price and the charge your card in Sterling? If the former, it's a bargain! If the latter, the current poxy exchange rate brings it to just shy of €430 when card fees are piled on, which makes it a bit less tempting and in line with Chain Reaction and others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭cython

JMcL wrote: »
    Question: As it's been a while since I ordered from Ribble, is the quoted Euro price what they charge you, or is it a "guide" price and the charge your card in Sterling? If the former, it's a bargain! If the latter, the current poxy exchange rate brings it to just shy of €430 when card fees are piled on, which makes it a bit less tempting and in line with Chain Reaction and others

I just went to the point of inputting my card number for the 5800 groupset, and they explicitly state "We will debit €388.64 from this card when we despatch your order."

To me that seems they are carrying out the currency conversion on their side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭bren_mc

JMcL wrote: »

I recently ordered a helmet from them. The price stated on the site is exactly what was charged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭JMcL

Cool, thanks for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Yeah there's a glitch with their exchange rate mechanism. I bought 6800 in March for €50 cheaper than the price ur would have been at actual exchange rate on that day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭G1032

How much could one expect to get for their existing 105 5700? Is there a market for these second hand groupsets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I sold mine for €200, that was for 5700 shifters, FD, RD, 6700 cassette, chain and brakes and FSA chainset & cranks, mine were absolutely mint and like new. I probably could have got a bit more selling separately but the buyer was taking the whole lot and so I let it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭niamh.foley

Thanks for the Heads up im being on hoildays for the past week and a half. so just getting around to reading all the replys..

i was speaking to Sales Support on Wiggle i would need a new rear wheel that will take 11 speed..

or else i could just buy a Hub. and go into a bike store and see will they fit the hub on for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Thanks for the Heads up im being on hoildays for the past week and a half. so just getting around to reading all the replys..

i was speaking to Sales Support on Wiggle i would need a new rear wheel that will take 11 speed..

or else i could just buy a Hub. and go into a bike store and see will they fit the hub on for me.

Save your money; you currently have ultegra 10 speed, if it's set up and serviced right why are you changing it?

11 speed won't make one bit of difference, in fact 7/8 speed would do most people.

Get bike serviced, new cables, brake blocks chain and cassette if needed.

If you want to upgrade your bike, buy a new one and sell your own one

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭niamh.foley

ford2600 wrote: »
    Save your money; you currently have ultegra 10 speed, if it's set up and serviced right why are you changing it?

11 speed won't make one bit of difference, in fact 7/8 speed would do most people.

Get bike serviced, new cables, brake blocks chain and cassette if needed.

If you want to upgrade your bike, buy a new one and sell your own one

Thanks i replaced the Cassette and chain a week back.. i think i will buy a Planet X bike using the Cycle to work scheme ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

I would suggest that Shimano 105 5800 is probably the best groupset you can get for a road bike if you factor in both function and price. AFAIK the cables are basically the same as Dura-Ace and that is one of the key parts of this system. Another key feature for front shifting is the design of the front derailleur-it has a longer lever arm, which , in combination with the cables, results in less force being required to shift (campagnolo have copied this design in their new groupsets). The cable position on the rear derailleur has also changed, resulting in a similarly smother shift action. Brakes should be more powerful because of the dual-pivot design. Overall therefore, I would say absolutely get this groupset. Having said that, it is true that you might be better off selling the old bike and buying a new one with the 105 5800 groupset. But it is definitely a big step up from 5700 in my opinion. You could also think about getting the 5800 cables and front derailleur, these should work ok with the other 5700 components.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Quick question, how do i know if my groupset is the 5700 or 5800 model or even older? The bike is 3-4 yrs old. Safe to assume it's 5700?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭markusz

jon1981 wrote: »
    Quick question, how do i know if my groupset is the 5700 or 5800 model or even older? The bike is 3-4 yrs old. Safe to assume it's 5700?
    5800 was only released last year.

Once you know it's 105, these are the distinguishing features added with each of the last few generations:
    • 5600: 10 speed
    • 5700: gear cables routed under the bar tape, still 10 speed. 5600 routed gear cables out the side of the shifters.
    • 5800: 11 speed

cython wrote: »
    Once you know it's 105, these are the distinguishing features added with each of the last few generations:
    • 5600: 10 speed
    • 5700: gear cables routed under the bar tape, still 10 speed. 5600 routed gear cables out the side of the shifters.
    • 5800: 11 speed

Thanks couple of questions:

If I want to change my brake callipers will the 5800 version work?
    Likewise if I need to replace the crankset will the whole system work with a mix of 5700 and 5800. I looked for a shimano reference on this but couldn't find it. Does Shimano provide backward compatibility, I couldn't find 5700 version of the 105 brakes so assumed they only make 5800 now.

• Advertisement

Thanks couple of questions:

If I want to change my brake callipers will the 5800 version work?
    Likewise if I need to replace the crankset will the whole system work with a mix of 5700 and 5800. I looked for a shimano reference on this but couldn't find it. Does Shimano provide backward compatibility, I couldn't find 5700 version of the 105 brakes so assumed they only make 5800 now.

According to page 5 of this (dealer manual for 5800 brake calipers) 5700 levers are fine

RE the chainset, in my experience they are less explicit, but I've used a 9 speed chainset with both 8 speed STI levers, and 10 speed (with the corresponding 8 and 10 speed front mechs and chains) without issue, so I'd say you should be ok with a 11-speed chainset in a 10 speed setup if you need to.

According to page 5 of this (dealer manual for 5800 brake calipers) 5700 levers are fine

RE the chainset, in my experience they are less explicit, but I've used a 9 speed chainset with both 8 speed STI levers, and 10 speed (with the corresponding 8 and 10 speed front mechs and chains) without issue, so I'd say you should be ok with a 11-speed chainset in a 10 speed setup if you need to.

I can still pick up a 10 speed 105 cassette and a 5700 triple crankset ... wonder if i should buy them before they go out of stock.

I can still pick up a 10 speed 105 cassette and a 5700 triple crankset ... wonder if i should buy them before they go out of stock.

Any shimano 10 speed cassette will work, including tiagra 4600 or the soon to be available 4700, and chains are the same. Not sure what the difference between the 4700 and 5700 chainsets may be when the former is released, but if you need a triple (i.e. you have that and triple shifters already) then you won't get that with 11 speed at the moment, as far as I know. If you don't already have a triple, however, your current shifters likely won't work with one.

Any shimano 10 speed cassette will work, including tiagra 4600 or the soon to be available 4700, and chains are the same. Not sure what the difference between the 4700 and 5700 chainsets may be when the former is released, but if you need a triple (i.e. you have that and triple shifters already) then you won't get that with 11 speed at the moment, as far as I know. If you don't already have a triple, however, your current shifters likely won't work with one.

My bad, just realised the triple is 5703 , 5700 is for the double only? I have a triple setup. Actually are shimano stopping making any more triples? I haven't seen a 58xx equivalent. Seems like there was a 5603, 5703 but no 5803.

Advertisement