Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battle Royale II : Requiem and September 11th! (spoilers)

Options
  • 04-07-2003 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭

I was just reading the plot outline of this film and it strikes me that it might cut close to the bone in some areas, especially in light of the current climate in the US, post sept-11. Here is the most interesting part of the plot:
    .. one year after a Christmas day attack levels several buildings in Tokyo (including the twin towers of the Tokyo Metropolitan Government building) and kills 8000 people, the government enacts the "New Century Terrorist Counter-Measure Alternative" program, a.k.a. the BRII act.

Hmm, "twin towers"..."New Century Terrorist Counter-Measure Alternative" (a reference to the Project for the new American Century no doubt), can you get any more blatant? I believe one of the anti-terrorist groups fighting Nanahara's gang even call themselves September 11th! :)

Well here's one film that probably won't be released in the states.

There's an english-language review of the film up here.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I believe one of the anti-terrorist groups fighting Nanahara's gang even call themselves September 11th

afaik there was a group whos codename was 911, but i think that was edited out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

To be fair, the "twin towers" of the Tokyo Metropolitan Government offices have been a major landmark in Shinjuku for a very, very long time - and if you want to blow up something impressive that's a sign of authority in Japan, that's exactly what you'd choose. The Diet building is only four or five stories high, after all - booooring :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

Sounds good to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

Excellent,
    i adore the first film.

and it's 119 PEOPLE!

i mean come on just cause the yanks say that you should say the month before the day does'ntmean we're all that stupid!

Advertisement