Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Igby Goes Down

• 02-07-2003 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭

Don't know if this has been posted yet, but i must say that i thought i was a bloody great film. best trip to the IFC i've had in a long time

any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,536 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I hear its great. Being stuck in Limerick, however, I probably won't get to see it until the DVD release.

- Dave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭anthonymcg

Fecking place didn't have it on when we went last Friday. Grrr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭bandit

Great film, a 'Catcher and the Rye' for the generation X folk for want of a better description.
    Jeff Goldblum is fecking hilarious in it as is the young Culkin.
    It has really cool soundtrack aswell which is always good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

i ordered it from the american CD WOW last week on DVD. It arrived today so i am going to have a look at it over the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

Was very disappointed tbh. It was desperately trying to be hip and failed miserably, as evidenced by the "adult contemporary rock" soundtrack. The biggest problem with it I found was that I couldn't muster up any kinda feelings about Igby himself.. I really didn't care what happened to him. I actually cant explain it.. it just left me cold.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭SweetBirdOfTruth

disliked just about everything in this. story through acting

will save most of my anger for the soundtarck though - what sort of idiot was put in charge of picking music for this film? particularly the choice of that vodaphone ad piece over the party. is the problem of using music, someone else can use it in an ad and totally spoil in on you. if you're a music-picker with a wanky taste in rather literal songs, bohemian like you probly seemed like a good choice. it wasn't. as for the shamelessly sickening and sentimental finale .... what the **** was that? could it have been any more literal-pop-vid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Wasnt a bad film, certainly not as good as the reviews made it out to be when it was released. Jeff Goldblum is very good in it and Culkin was surprisingly good also. Can see how it would leave you feeling cold tho'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

I thought it was great but will suffer given its proximity to donnie darko.

If it was released befor DD or longer after it would've been better recieved

that culkin chap is good in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

i liekd the part where that homophobe nazi shoots kevin spacey in the back of the head and also the part where gene hackman takes the two kids out for a ride on the dumptrucks.

anybody else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

ah, you're nowt but a bunch of grumps!!

i enjoyed it- the storyline was interesting, the dialogue was erudite, and the acting was impressive- especially susan sarandon and jeff goldblum.

however, i did find it somewhat disturbing that (a) kieran culkin looks ever so slightly like jake gyllenhall and that (b) he's hot!

• Advertisement

erudite?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

Erudite ooooh big word.
    But then you went and blew it by saying you think Culkin is hot.. Ah you were so close to being an intellectual there!!!

Grump grump grump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

oh, go on, go ahead, mock me if you will, you're not the one who's gonna BE IN THERAPY FOR THE REST OF HER NATURAL LIFE!!!!

bibble bibble!!!!!

therepy are ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭mavedic

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, acting was great and i liked the humour throughout. I'll definitely see it again!

well, needing therapy could explain your liking of this film ... i'd make the appointment if i were you for before you go see tadpole.

hold on, are you saying tadpole is better or worse?
    or the same?

Because after seeing each a week apart Tadpole is shorter and much more worthwhile.

Igby goes down was dull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

I thought the film was pretty damn great! i didn't read any reviews of it before i went in, i don't usually read reviews, i don't trust them. but anyway the film was a great way to spend a little time. i was going to go again on the day of it's last showing but it sold out. so i'll be gettting the DVD. i can't say it was the best movie i've seen in teh IFC but it's in the top ten anyway.

top ten of what?

Artsy wannabe films.

It was average and i would'nt buy the DVD but seeing as your taste is less refined than mine i guess you're allowed to.

Advertisement