Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best performance not to win an Oscar?

• 23-06-2003 12:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

What are peoples opinions on the best performances NOT to win an Oscar.

My vote goes to 'Yer man who plays Jake the Muss' in
    Once were warriors.

Once were warriors can go into the category of best film not to have won an oscar too.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

Take nearly everone who has won an oscar recently ie past 10 years and they dont deserve one.

Take Loads of people of people that didnt get one and give them one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭patch

That scene in True Romance should have gotten Christopher Walken or dennis Hopper one.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Morgan Freeman - Driving Miss Daisy/The Shawshank Redemption

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

shawshank redemption deserved one

did Samuel L. Jackson get an oscar for "a time to kill"? if he didnt he should have done

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Kevin Spacey for The Usual Suspects

• Advertisement

Tom Cruise for Magnolia
    Mark Wahlberg for Boogie Nights
    Adam Sandler for Punch Drunk Love

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

Liam Nesson: Shindlers List & Micheal Collins, both great films and great preformances but lost out due to there political nature

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

How about Daniel day Lewis for Gangs of New YorK. I thought he was excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭johnnynolegs

have to agree with u there about mr day lewis finest acting i think i have ever seen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭bandit

Richard Fairnsworth in the Straight Story is as flawless and restrained a performance as you will ever see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

How about Jim cArey from Trueman show and Man on the moon.. both great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

the guy who played shaggy in the scooby doo movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Agent Smith should get many awards imo...

oh and Tom Jones !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭the celtic tiger

Originally posted by Bounty Hunter
    Kevin Spacey for The Usual Suspects

eh...he did win the oscar for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Oscars are voted on by the hollywood et al elite/execs. Therefore it's no big deal who wins or loses oscars in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Vincent Gallo - Buffalo 66.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

The pie in American pie. Good God that poor pie must feel so violated.

Its more to do with being politically correct, than an individuals acting ability. Take fore example Denzel Washington winning one for Training day, his performance was by no means exceptional its just that it was time for a black man to win after such a gap since Sidney Poiter won.

Its mainly the heavily invested pictures which receive all the nominations and the smaller budget don’t even get a look in. Which is a shame, when you consider that most of the soulful performances are in the lesser funded projects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Denzel Washington should have gotten one for The Hurricane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

Originally posted by the celtic tiger
    eh...he did win the oscar for that.
    It was the guy who played the lawer "Kobyashi", I think I miss spelled his name there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

pete postlthwaite or something like that.
    apparantly hes the hardest working actor in hollywood...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,492 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Day Lewis' hammy De Niro pastiche was one of the most annoying performances in recent memory, in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Richard Harris should have won for the "Field" - instead it went to Kevin Costner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Originally posted by Cork
    Richard Harris should have won for the "Field" - instead it went to Kevin Costner.
    Jeremy Irons won for Reversal of Fortune

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Kai

Originally posted by de5p0i1er
    It was the guy who played the lawer "Kobyashi", I think I miss spelled his name there.

Eh no it was kevin spacey who got it for the usual suspects playing verbal kint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭aine

Originally posted by Makaveli
    Denzel Washington should have gotten one for The Hurricane.

he couldn't have! that would mean that Kevin Spacey would ahve missed out on an Oscar for American Beauty! I agree that Denzel's performance was worthy of that award but that year he was simply out done by Mr Spacey! He ot the Oscar the following year though for an equally good role in Training Day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Originally posted by Pigman II
    Vincent Gallo - Buffalo 66.

chr*st I hate that movie ..... arrggh!

Ellen Burstyn - Requiem for a Dream
    She got a nomination, no statue for an outstanding performance.

And maybe:
    Guy Pearce - Memento

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 indigodemon

Originally posted by Kalina
    How about Daniel day Lewis for Gangs of New YorK. I thought he was excellent.

So right you are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭bandit

Oksana Akinshina in Lilja 4 ever was probably the best performance I've seen in my life.
    The girl is only about 19 and the film was completley over looked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

R. Lee Ermey for his performance as Gunnery SGT Hartman in Full Metal Jacket. It was brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Originally posted by Dempsey
    R. Lee Ermey for his performance as Gunnery SGT Hartman in Full Metal Jacket. It was brilliant.

IMDB:

Former US Marines Drill Instructor R. Lee Ermey was hired as a consultant on how to drill USMC style. He performed a demonstration on videotape in which he yelled obscene insults and abuse for fifteen minutes without stopping, repeating himself, or even flinching - despite being continuously pelted with tennis balls and oranges. Director Stanley Kubrick was so impressed that he cast Ermey as Gunnery Sergeant Hartmann.

---

Are you quitting on me?! Well, are you?! Then quit, you slimy ****ing walrus-looking piece of ****! Get the **** off of my obstacle! Get the **** down off of my obstacle! Now! Move it! I'm going to rip your balls off, so you cannot contaminate the rest of the world! I will motivate you, Private Pyle, if it short-dicks every cannibal on the Congo!

---

Hell I like you, you can come over to my house and **** my sister.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

He really didnt need to act it so. Just another day on the job for him except kubrick gave him a few extra insults to throw around.:D :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Frugu
    Eh no it was kevin spacey who got it for the usual suspects playing verbal kint.
    Indeed it was. The movie had two nominations (Best supporting actor and best screenplay) & won both. No other nominations.

I thought Peter O'Toole deserved one for Lawrence of Arabia. That year was the year Gregory Peck won for To Kill A Mockingbird though so the better performance won (same position as Tom Hulce with Amadeus, though I'd say Hulce was a little better than F Murray Abraham)). Actually O'Toole has been pretty unlucky with 7 best actor nominations and no wins. Paul Newman and Al Pacino finally got one after waiting the same length (neither for their best performances either). O'Toole's always lost out to a performance that just about deserved it more*.

Anne Ramsey deserved one for Throw Momma from The Train. Olympia Dukakis (Moonstruck) shouldn't have got it over her.

William Hurt should have had the nod with Children of a Lesser God. Paul Newman won for Color of Money that year for some strange "haven't given him one yet" reason. James Woods could have taken it for Salvador the same year and I wouldn't complain about it.

I've ignored the 90s as I don't want to start laughing. Might have a go later.

*Few exceptions. 1969: John Wayne won for True Grit while O'Toole lost out with Goodbye Mr Chips. Winner should have been Jon Voight for Midnight Cowboy in any case (vote was probably split as Hoffman was nominated for the same movie)
    1964: Rex Harrison won for My Fair Lady. I like My Fair Lady but O'Toole should actually have won this year for Becket. Vote split with Richard Burton also nominated for the same movie. Could also make the case that Peter Sellers should have walked home with Dr Strangelove, even just for the von Neumann character.
    1968: Cliff Robertson won for Charley. Probably shouldn't have. Ron Moody should probably have won for Oliver anyway imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Cork
    Costner didn't win. Like Pigman said, Jeremy Irons won for Reversal of Fortune. Harris got unlucky - Irons deserved it. Costner was nominated for the first and last time for an acting Oscar. He took home two statuettes that night but neither of them was for acting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Sean101

Just to comment on Peter O'Toole.
    Didnt he get some sorta special award there a while ago?
    Just the Academy's way of saying "woops, sorry for missing out on one of the greatest actors ever 7 times in a row".

What a bunch of muppets the Academy is.

Advertisement