Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top 10 Worst Accents

Options
  • 30-06-2003 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭

Another Empire Poll, this one is for the top 10 worst movie accents ever....

Empire top ten worst movie accents:
    1. Sean Connery in The Untouchables (1987).
    2. Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins (1964)
    3. Brad Pitt in Seven Years In Tibet (1997).
    4. Charlton Heston in Touch Of Evil (1958).
    5. Heather Graham in From Hell (2001).
    6. Keanu Reeves in Bram Stoker’s Dracula (1992).
    7. Julia Roberts in Mary Reilly (1996).
    8. Laurence Olivier in The Jazz Singer (1980).
    9. Pete Postlethwaite in The Usual Suspects (1995).
    10. Meryl Streep in Out Of Africa (1985).

I can't believe Tom and Nicole (Far And Away) managed to stay off the list .... Anyone else missing? :)

(More info here: http://breaking.examiner.ie/text/story.asp?j=70665260&p=7x665937&n=70665939&x=)

- Dave.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

1. Sean Connery in "The Hunt for Red October". A russion U Boat captain with a Scottish accent?????

2. Tom Cruise/Nicole Kidman in "Far and Away". Easily the WORST EVER ACCENTS. The problem is that unless yer from Ireland, you don't notice.

3. John Wayne in "The Robe".

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by TmB
    I can't believe Tom and Nicole (Far And Away) managed to stay off the list
    Too right. "Say ye loike me hot, Shonnown"
    I was watching Interview with the Vampire on TCM the other night and noticed Tom was doing the same accent in places. He seems to have adopted traces of it as his "thinking voice" later.

I'll excuse Connery with Red October as he didn't even try to change his accent. He made an effort with the Untouchables and there's the difference.

(in the same way that The Haunting and Avengers are worse movies than Attack of the Killer Tomatoes as they actually tried to make a good movie and failed dismally)
    Originally posted by Jaden
    3. John Wayne in "The Robe".
    Certainly worthy of the list
    "Truly this man waaaas the son of Gad"
    Truly awful.

(Brad Pitt's accent in Snatch on the other hand deserves to be near the top of any "Best accent" list)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

What about Christopher Lambert in Highlander? A scotsman he ain't. They really should have gotten Connery to do his part instead...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Eh how about Kevin Spacey in Ordinary Decent Criminal?

Connery has more than establised by now that he's going to play any role he gets (English, Portugese, American et al) in his own accent so he isn't valid for nomination imho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

There is always Kevin Costner who was an American Robin Hood but Far and Away should really get at least three mentions on the list. Those stage Irish accents were awful. Begarra and bejaysus!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Tom Cruise & Nicole Kidman in "Far & Away" is probably at the "top o' me list now!!" :rolleyes:

Now, I dunno if this would make it into the top 10, but me being half-scot I cringe every time I hear it ....

William Wallace's father at the start of "BraveHeart" with his Norn'Irrlan' attempting-to-be-scottish accent. At times it was ok, then other times down-right cringing. Very flaky.

Contrasted with the young Wallace with his thick Gorbels (an area in Glasgow) accent

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I didn't like what Richard Gere was doing in The Jackal. Maybe he was supposed to sound like that, but his accent seemed to change during certain parts of the film...

As much as Keanu Reeves can look hot and do the action flick-thing, he was woeful in Bram Stoker's Dracula. Anyone here seen Much Ado About Nothing (Kenneth Brannagh version)? He's pretty bad in that too. You'd think he'd have learned his lesson...

Technically not a film, but Daphne's brother in Frasier (Anthony LaPaglia playing a Mancunian? HA!) was pretty bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

johnny depp in chocolat, made a ****e film just a tad more unbearable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

Any one doing an Irish accent. Gangs of New York is a good example of how bad Hollywood is at getting an accent right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

bear in mind that decaprios character had grown up in new york away from irish accents tho (i can't believe i'm standing up for the turd!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

brad pitt in snatch- but i couldn't help laughing either

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

i though brad pitt was alright. .
    he sounds the exact same as the pikeys in my area..

colin farrell has a crap american accent in tigerland. .
    and anyone english in blackhawk down had a terrible accent..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

I'd have to go with Pete Postlethwaite (sp?) in The Usual Suspects aswell... what was it even supposed to be???:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Originally posted by TmB
    5. Heather Graham in From Hell (2001)
    6. Keanu Reeves in Bram Stoker’s Dracula (1992)

How the hell did Heather Graham get voted worse than Keanu Reeves?! I know she's not exactly the perfect shakespearian actress, but compared to the latter, she was gold!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by lamda
    I'd have to go with Pete Postlethwaite (sp?) in The Usual Suspects aswell... what was it even supposed to be???:confused:

He was meant to be Kobayashi, Kaiser Sosé's right-hand man, and a man of unspecified Asian origin, - probably Japanese. To be honest, I've seen/heard far worse accents acted in movies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭frood4t2

Jonny Lee Miller's American accent in Hackers was hysterical. That whole movie was just bizarre!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭bandit

Tim Currey in Congo is easily the worst accet ever heard.
    ''Zee lost seetey of Zingh, zee leegond is tru'' Where the f88k was he meant to be from

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Holly Hunter at the end of The Piano.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 ScArY_Cheese

Leonardo de caprio in gangs of new york....

leo cant act...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Originally posted by weemcd
    brad pitt in snatch- but i couldn't help laughing either

I think he got it spot on. He sounds like all the travellers around thurles.

Kevin Spacey in Ordinary Decent Criminal was a poor attempt at an irish accent

• Advertisement
Advertisement