Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gearing

• 26-04-2015 2:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I know this has been asked before and I have read through other threads but still am unsure!

Being doing some sportives and such type of events. Was doing an adventure race yesterday and there was a few very steep inclines. Found myself up on peddles really working hard just to keep moving.

Have compact (50, 34) on front and 9 speed 25t on the back. Think I can change this to 28 without going at the rear dÃ႒©railleur?

Or should I switch to 32 and change over rd?
    Have ambitions of doing marmotte in next year or so.

Also how do I know when buying online which one I want? I have sora gears. Do I have to buy a shimano cassette? Some are hg50 and hg80 for example but doesn't say how many teeth on outer gear? Assume I need to stick with 9 speed or would need a new shifter as well?

Bike is a felt f95. Sorry for all questions! (Confused.com ) lol

Chris

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

christy02 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I know this has been asked before and I have read through other threads but still am unsure!

Being doing some sportives and such type of events. Was doing an adventure race yesterday and there was a few very steep inclines. Found myself up on peddles really working hard just to keep moving.

Have compact (50, 34) on front and 9 speed 25t on the back. Think I can change this to 28 without going at the rear dÃ႒©railleur?

Or should I switch to 32 and change over rd?
    Have ambitions of doing marmotte in next year or so.

Also how do I know when buying online which one I want? I have sora gears. Do I have to buy a shimano cassette? Some are hg50 and hg80 for example but doesn't say how many teeth on outer gear? Assume I need to stick with 9 speed or would need a new shifter as well?

Bike is a felt f95. Sorry for all questions! (Confused.com ) lol

Chris

I'm no expert but I think you need the HG50-9
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/shimano-tiagra-hg50-9-speed-road-cassette/rp-prod387

My bike has a SS (Short) RD and I have managed to get away with a 12-30 (10 speed is my set up though)

You might be able to get away with the one linked to above for a 9 speed without changing the RD or chain (if you stay out of the big ring) 11-30 seems to be the best you can get if sticking with Shimano?

Shimano EV link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭christy02

Thanks for that. I ordered that one exactly as a comment on the review section said that it fitted without changing rd.

Surely I would only have to stay out of big ring when in the 30t ring on back? Would chain stretch if I used that combo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

christy02 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I ordered that one exactly as a comment on the review section said that it fitted without changing rd.

Surely I would only have to stay out of big ring when in the 30t ring on back? Would chain stretch if I used that combo?

When you have it on the bike do a test. You shouldn't really be in the big ring on any of the first three rings on the back tbh.

If the RD still has a bit of an S shape when in the big ring and the First rear cog, you're good to go. So youtube told me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

You'll be fine with a 30 on a sora RD but you may need to add a link or two to your chain. As mentioned above you shouldn't really be in big big combo but it does happen and if your chain is too short you'll get a clicking/rumble from the rear when in big/big gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭christy02

Thanks for that. Can add a couple links if needs be. Will try it when it comes.
    Hoping it will make a difference when climbing steep gradients?

• Advertisement
Advertisement