Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

top tube descending on club rides

• 26-04-2015 8:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40

have been out with a club recently and they are a good group but as soon as we get to any kind of descent there are a couple of lads who get straight on the top tube into the aero tuck whether they are at the front, middle or back of the group. One of them is new to cycling and in a recent video of a descent put on facebook shows him overtaking others while just missing an oncoming car. And we are not talking about nice flowing alpine descents, these are the crappy back roads of wicklow and kildare. I have never seen this happen quite so often with any group or club that I have cycled with, especially as the guys doing it do not even race. Not sure what most clubs policy is in regards to this, so I am just looking for a bit of advice before I bring it up with club members or just find another group.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

It's daft and they would be better off not doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

crazy behaviour.I can understand it if racing but on a club ride on crappy wicklow descents...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Find a new club.

Saw a guy nearly splat himself doing that in kerry on the ras muhan sportive a few weeks ago. Pot hole nearly neutered him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

bcmf wrote: »
    crazy behaviour.I can understand it if racing but on a club ride on crappy wicklow descents...

Maybe pro racing where they get paid to take risks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,661 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Maybe they don't know better, have a word with them

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Say it to whoever is leading the ride or drop a mail round to the club's spin email group.

If you don't want to tell anyone it's you, voice your concerns directly to the club chairman, and ask him to have a word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40 nattefrost

The first couple of times I was out with them there was none of the senior guys present and I didnt say anything because I figured that as soon as they saw it they would have a word with people. but since then the chairman, captain and coach have all been present and nothing has happened. letting things like that slide has me thinking I would be better finding a new club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

Give them the benefit of the doubt, perhaps they've never been told how stupid it is.... perhaps the captain and coach didn't notice it yet, so have a word with them in private or whatever way you feel more comfortable.

It sounds like these lads are just trying to act like pro's... As you say, if they are new maybe they just don't realise how dangerous it is.

Also, 'letting it slide' will only continue if you don't say anything. If you don't see an improvement after mentioning it to those more senior in the club, move on to another club!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

That's absolute nonsense carry on. It's dangerous and misguided. I've done it a couple of times on long straight descents just to see how it feels and the lack of control scared me a little.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Doesn't Sean Kelly say "don't try that at home" when the pro's do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

What flutes. Are these guys racers trying to show off? Can tell you of one guy in our club who used to do it, avoided him like the plague whenever a descent was close. Had a quick word with the group leader(who also happened to be one of his best ates) and it has never happened again. You have to say it to someone as that craic is not on within a group spin where differing levels of bike handling exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭VR46

Why would anyone do this in the middle/back of a bunch? :confused:

Agree that it's nonsense to be doing it at all on a group ride but I wouldn't mind if they were leading 100 yards down the road.

What makes it worse is we always have to wait for them at the top of every climb just for them for them to go all kamikaze on the way down. I will probably send them on an email telling them I won't be joining them anymore and giving them the reason why, for their own safety. The fact that there are videos on the clubs website showing them descending like this and I have not heard one negative comment makes me not want to stick around.

Tried it once or twice its not for me.

The bike feels totally unbalanced.

ronoc wrote: »
    Tried it once or twice its not for me.

The bike feels totally unbalanced.

did it years ago out on a solo ride and when I was getting up off the top tube my shorts got caught on the nose of the saddle and completely messed up my balance and sent me into a speed wobble.

Still think you need to say it to the spin leader and see if a change happens. Apart from this issue do you like going out on spins with the club? Be a shame to stop over something like this.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Ridiculous carry on. Email them, say it to them. Serious lack of cop on and common sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Pure dangerous - for me anyway. Like others, I've tried it once or twice. Fine if you're on a smooth, straight descent but if the need arises to avoid an obstacle then the lack of control makes it dangerous.

Unless the guy's surname is Sagan, you should have a word with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Dizraeligears

Role Playing.Road cycling is riddled with it.Sportives and leisure events marketed and treated as races.Club runs ruined by newbie-mamil racer wannabes flying up the road,etc.Needs a firm knocking on the head

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cornet

nattefrost wrote: »
    What makes it worse is we always have to wait for them at the top of every climb just for them for them to go all kamikaze on the way down.
    Sounds like you've no group leader(s) in your club. Unless brutally difficult climbs a club spin should be together uphill - a group strung out along the road looks undisciplined. Same applies for downhill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

caught my 14yo trying this earlier today on a club spin lasted about 10 seconds till I let a roar at him

cornet wrote: »
    Sounds like you've no group leader(s) in your club. Unless brutally difficult climbs a club spin should be together uphill - a group strung out along the road looks undisciplined. Same applies for downhill.

I know in our club we regroup at the top of the climb unless we are doing specific power climbing work within a racing group.

People climb in different ways and at different paces.

Advertisement