Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are INSURANCE companies obliged to quote ?

Options
  • 13-08-2010 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I've just bought a bicycle engine kit. Fitted it to my bike and rang up Quinn direct (who insure motorbikes). They said they wouldn't insure it..

I think I remember hearing that an insurance company is obliged to quote a person no matter what the circumstances provided the person is entittled to be insured eg rich 18yo who's dad just bought him a ferrari and insurance quote hime 20,000e a year.

Anyone with a bit of knowledge would really help.

regards
    colm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Gooner84

What you need to do is request a decline letter from the insurance company, once you have 3 decline letters the first company who declined you is obliged to quote under the 'decline cases agreement' if they dont co-operate contact the Irish Insurance Federation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

If a 'vehicle' is governed by the Road Traffic Act, every insurer with approval to underwrite such cover is obliged to offer a quotation provided the proposer is licenced to drive such a vehicle and it is deemed roadworthy. Even then, the quotation cannot be so severe to constitute a declinature. If no insurer offers a reasonable quotation (in writing) you can take your circumstances to the Insurance Federation and they will obtain terms on your behalf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Dont forget if you fit an engine to a bike you may for road tax also as it will be a self propelled vehicle. There are electric bike out there that get away with it as the motor only assists you pedalling and therefore not self propelled. I am not an expert on this side of it but have worked in the bike trade in the past so some knowledge of it.

Most of them engine kits are dangerous as far as i see them. Also you would need to increase the braking power aswell to allow for the extra speed you will reach and the extra weight due to the engine.

Would be very careful with it. The handling will also greatly diminish with the added weight. Depending on your bike the wheels will also buckle easier. All aspects need to be considered with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 rugbydublin

thanks lads thats great.
    i have the bike pretty well equipped for it and i'm pretty used to it now. I'll post if i can get the insurance or not.

enjoy the rest of the summer..

c

Advertisement