Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gearbox leak (possibly)

• 26-04-2015 9:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭

Hey lads,found a very minor/slow drip leak under the car after a long drive today,at first I thought it was oil but it dried up very quickly in the sun leaving no stain at all on the paving slabs. Also it didn,t have a strong smell..but felt like oil to touch..im guessing its the gearbox seal..my worry is can you drive around with such a problem wirhout putting lives at risk or ahould I park it up until properly diagnosed? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭ORVEE

Did you have the air conditioning on during your long drive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

ORVEE wrote: »
    Did you have the air conditioning on during your long drive?

No actually,ive had it off for weeks. Funny you brought that up. Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭ORVEE

Just taught when you said the stain disappeared in the sun, that maybe it was only the water coming from the air conditioning system(which is quite normal)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

If it didn't have a strong smell, it certainly wasn't gearbox oil.

Also, if it dried up quickly, it wasn't likely to be oil at all, unless perhaps petrol or diesel. Definitely not a lubricating oil anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Windscreen washer fluid possibly?

• Advertisement

Im a bit confused myself,it definitely wasn,t water..so im guessing either power steering,brake,gearbox or coolant..i checked the oil,brake and coolant levels and they,re all spot on. If theres a stain under the car when i start it up in the morning ill take a photo and stick it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Best to put a plastic sheet under the car, it will stop whatever the fluid is from soaking away before you can ID the colour or smell.

Had a look this morning and nothing,not a single drop..so who knows,will have to wait and see. Thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭blackbox

Are there cats around?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭dooroy

I would think that if it was gear oil , brake fluid , power steering fluid or engine oil it would certainly have left a stain .
    Have you had to top up the coolant lately - this could dilute it and it would evaporate then probably leaving little or no stain .
    Came across this lately on a 2009 Astra diesel and it was a coolant leak - once car cooled down and pressure in the system reduced the leak stopped.

• Advertisement
Advertisement