Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

N59 - Westport to Mulranny [part under construction]

• 19-09-2010 8:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭

This is a 26.8km upgrade of the N59, mostly online. It is at the preliminary design stage.

A contract was tendered in June 2010 for a detailed topographical survey.

The route is as follows:

n59overallscheme.jpg

Potential offline sections are clearly visible as divergent red lines.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Not forgetting N59 Ballina Bypass and N59 Oughterard Clifden and N59 Crossmolina Ballina are we Furet??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭afatbollix

As this thread is 5 years old Ive been told that they might change the route out of Westport. They have started in the Newport end taking out a hill and building a bridge at the Green house.

Anyone have a updated route maps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,544 ✭✭✭✭L1011

http://www.regdesign.com/?page_id=1064 has been updated a number of times since 2010.

I was back home last week and took some pics.

They are building a bridge at Carrigaun and then taking a hill out of it and back out the other side. I've never seen such a big hill being taken out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭irishgeo

afatbollix wrote: »
    I was back home last week and took some pics.

They are building a bridge at Carrigaun and then taking a hill out of it and back out the other side. I've never seen such a big hill being taken out of it.

thats not the worst part of the road either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

Bit of drone footage going as well. It's a fine size of a cutting.

https://vimeo.com/139982968

irishgeo wrote: »
    thats not the worst part of the road either.

They were doing test drilling at the Killmeena community centre & the bad bends coming out of Westport before Christmas. No idea if the money is there to finish it all the way to Westport but at least they will have the survey done.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Are they working on this road now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Are they working on this road now?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

They were doing test drilling at the Killmeena community centre & the bad bends coming out of Westport before Christmas. No idea if the money is there to finish it all the way to Westport but at least they will have the survey done.

The County Council got Transport Infrastructure Ireland money to do this this year. I'm not too familiar with the area so I don't know the how extensive the work will be but there was a few million put towards it. If you look at the TII website you can see the 2016 allocations for each county.

• Advertisement

New drone video.

https://vimeo.com/159645861

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭duckcfc

Anyone know who has the contract for this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭annfield1978

duckcfc wrote: »
    Anyone know who has the contract for this?

Passed through today, WILLS Bros

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭duckcfc

Passed through today, WILLS Bros

Any links to my t or is that just word of mouth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭annfield1978

duckcfc wrote: »
    Any links to my t or is that just word of mouth

WILLS Sign boards at start and end of scheme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭nordydan

Just to bump this. I drove from Westport to Achill yesterday and there was an impressive amount going on here (plus about 3/4 stop/start lights on this). Big job for rural Mayo.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

nordydan wrote: »
    Just to bump this. I drove from Westport to Achill yesterday and there was an impressive amount going on here (plus about 3/4 stop/start lights on this). Big job for rural Mayo.
    Can you give us approx start and end points?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Aerial footage, lot of earthworks in this scheme.

Was back for Christmas and got drive it. It's open but the huge hill they cut out is having some land slides. Not sure what they will do but they were tidying it up. They were putting up fences up and clearing areas near Westport to get rid of the very bad bends nearer the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Vilnian

Any ideas when this whole project is due to be finished?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Drove this road a few times in the past few days. Westport to Newport is about 60% done, section closer to Westport still needs upgrading. No obvious major improvements between Newport and Mulranny but surface is OK and good reflectors on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Drove this road a few times in the past few days. Westport to Newport is about 60% done, section closer to Westport still needs upgrading. No obvious major improvements between Newport and Mulranny but surface is OK and good reflectors on the road.

the section closer to westport is being fenced now.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

This is being done in small chunks as funding is available, the last funding available was the Rossow Bends section.

Next up is the section between Newport and the townland of Derrada out towards Mullranny.

Is the section between the recently done section and Newport done?

N59 Derrada-Newport section getting environmental assessed. 4.7km

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase.asp?PID=119034

I'm back next week but how are they doing with the bit outside Westport?

marno21 wrote: »
    N59 Derrada-Newport section getting environmental assessed. 4.7km

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase.asp?PID=119034

Now looking for structural consulants:

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase_frameset.asp?PID=128579&B=ETENDERS_SIMPLE&PS=1&PP=ctm/Supplier/PublicTenders

Will likely proceed to construction when the section at Kilmeena is done. 2020 would be my bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

2020 would be my bet.

Hopefully no rare snails or frogs are found there in the meantime:D

Hopefully no rare snails or frogs are found there in the meantime:D
    Scheme has planning permission so they shouldn't be an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Has the part north of Westport been done or not? Can see only site prep on Google Maps. WOuld have expected newly realigned road to be marked in by now. OSM also doesn't have it.

spacetweek wrote: »
    Has the part north of Westport been done or not? Can see only site prep on Google Maps. WOuld have expected newly realigned road to be marked in by now. OSM also doesn't have it.

Not yet. Don't forget the N5-N59 link will be going in there somewhere in the next few years also.

The next section up is the Kilmeena realignment which is at tender stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 HabibiLibnen

Does anybody know if the section of the N59 immediately north of Westport will be included in the N5 upgrade due to start later this year? Surely they can't leave this woefully dangerous section as it is? I've attached a screenshot below. Barleyhill is lethal especially during peak summer season and in wet weather.

Does anybody know if the section of the N59 immediately north of Westport will be included in the N5 upgrade due to start later this year? Surely they can't leave this woefully dangerous section as it is? I've attached a screenshot below. Barleyhill is lethal especially during peak summer season and in wet weather.
    Scope of the N5 upgrade is in this map here: http://www.regdesign.com/?page_id=493

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 HabibiLibnen

Scope of the N5 upgrade is in this map here: http://www.regdesign.com/?page_id=493

Based on that map it won't be included. : /

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

It is included, based on length of SC road described in N5 tender

They have already fenced off the area they are building the new road. I also seen them doing test drillings about a year ago all over the hill.

Be glad when they rid of them bends.

Further confirmation that the bad bends at barleyhill on the N59 will be included in N5 project in this article:

http://www.advertiser.ie/mayo/article/105502/barley-hill-action-is-urgently-required-or-lives-could-be-lost

This will run straight into realignment currently underway at kilmeena, so when it's all done in (hopefully) early 2022, there'll be a great road from Newport to Westport to Turlough, as follows Type 3 single, type 2 single, type 2 dual, type 1 single.

• Advertisement

Further confirmation that the bad bends at barleyhill on the N59 will be included in N5 project in this article:

http://www.advertiser.ie/mayo/article/105502/barley-hill-action-is-urgently-required-or-lives-could-be-lost
    That article reads to me that it won't be done as part of the major, that the contractor for the N5 scheme will be appointed and after that they will push TII to get the Westport-Kilmeena N59 section advanced?

That article reads to me that it won't be done as part of the major, that the contractor for the N5 scheme will be appointed and after that they will push TII to get the Westport-Kilmeena N59 section advanced?

The final two paragraphs are key, it clearly states barleyhill is part of a bigger project (the N5) for which a contractor is being appointed in Q3. The journalist just didn't make the connection.

It backs up the details in the tender for the N5, the length of SC mentioned in the tender shows it must include barleyhill -
    https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase_frameset.asp?PID=129639&B=ETENDERS_SIMPLE&PS=1&PP=ctm/Supplier/publictenders

I stand corrected. :)

472057.JPG

I stand corrected. :)

472057.JPG

As a Westport person, that map is a thing of beauty ðŸ˜႒

With the Cabinet approval of the N5 scheme today, the Westport-Kilmeena phase of this project will be starting before the end of the year

Only 1 bridge to be made wider and then the section they are working on at the moment should be finished soon.

Is there a plan for a Westport bypass? Out to Louisburgh?

Only 1 bridge to be made wider and then the section they are working on at the moment should be finished soon.

Northern bypass of the town as part of the new scheme. The new N5 scheme is really “Kilmeena-Castlebar East” rather than Westport-Turlough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Neworder79

A corridore for a bypass from new N5 roundabout at Corrib oil to R330, N59(South) and ending R335 Louisberg road is protected in Westport town plan.

However it doesn't seem to have any priority. I'd imagine traffic levels were higher on northern part. But with N59 Wild Atlantic Way tourism route and heavy congestion in town in summer it may become necessary.

Neworder79 wrote: »
    A corridore for a bypass from new N5 roundabout at Corrib oil to R330, N59(South) and ending R335 Louisberg road is protected in Westport town plan.

However it doesn't seem to have any priority. I'd imagine traffic levels were higher on northern part. But with N59 Wild Atlantic Way tourism route and heavy congestion in town in summer it may become necessary.

Would make getting to the beaches that much easier. Not that you'd want to be there today.

Years ago the town closed bridge st and it was great being able to hang out on the street some cafes put out some tables and bars used the street but the traffic was horrendous on the other streets.

I went to a commerce meeting and I was the only one to say it was a good idea and to be honest it was a bad idea with out a by pass in place.

• Advertisement
Advertisement