Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N59 - Westport to Mulranny [part under construction]

Options
  • 19-09-2010 8:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭

This is a 26.8km upgrade of the N59, mostly online. It is at the preliminary design stage.

A contract was tendered in June 2010 for a detailed topographical survey.

The route is as follows:

n59overallscheme.jpg

Potential offline sections are clearly visible as divergent red lines.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Not forgetting N59 Ballina Bypass and N59 Oughterard Clifden and N59 Crossmolina Ballina are we Furet??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,045 ✭✭✭afatbollix

As this thread is 5 years old Ive been told that they might change the route out of Westport. They have started in the Newport end taking out a hill and building a bridge at the Green house.

Anyone have a updated route maps?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

http://www.regdesign.com/?page_id=1064 has been updated a number of times since 2010.

I was back home last week and took some pics.

They are building a bridge at Carrigaun and then taking a hill out of it and back out the other side. I've never seen such a big hill being taken out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭irishgeo

afatbollix wrote: »
    I was back home last week and took some pics.

They are building a bridge at Carrigaun and then taking a hill out of it and back out the other side. I've never seen such a big hill being taken out of it.

thats not the worst part of the road either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

Bit of drone footage going as well. It's a fine size of a cutting.

https://vimeo.com/139982968

irishgeo wrote: »
    thats not the worst part of the road either.

They were doing test drilling at the Killmeena community centre & the bad bends coming out of Westport before Christmas. No idea if the money is there to finish it all the way to Westport but at least they will have the survey done.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Are they working on this road now?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Are they working on this road now?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

afatbollix wrote: »
    They were doing test drilling at the Killmeena community centre & the bad bends coming out of Westport before Christmas. No idea if the money is there to finish it all the way to Westport but at least they will have the survey done.

The County Council got Transport Infrastructure Ireland money to do this this year. I'm not too familiar with the area so I don't know the how extensive the work will be but there was a few million put towards it. If you look at the TII website you can see the 2016 allocations for each county.

• Advertisement

New drone video.

https://vimeo.com/159645861

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭duckcfc

Anyone know who has the contract for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

duckcfc wrote: »
    Anyone know who has the contract for this?

Passed through today, WILLS Bros

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭duckcfc

Passed through today, WILLS Bros

Any links to my t or is that just word of mouth

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

duckcfc wrote: »
    Any links to my t or is that just word of mouth

WILLS Sign boards at start and end of scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

Just to bump this. I drove from Westport to Achill yesterday and there was an impressive amount going on here (plus about 3/4 stop/start lights on this). Big job for rural Mayo.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

nordydan wrote: »
    Just to bump this. I drove from Westport to Achill yesterday and there was an impressive amount going on here (plus about 3/4 stop/start lights on this). Big job for rural Mayo.
    Can you give us approx start and end points?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Aerial footage, lot of earthworks in this scheme.

Was back for Christmas and got drive it. It's open but the huge hill they cut out is having some land slides. Not sure what they will do but they were tidying it up. They were putting up fences up and clearing areas near Westport to get rid of the very bad bends nearer the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Vilnian

Any ideas when this whole project is due to be finished?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Drove this road a few times in the past few days. Westport to Newport is about 60% done, section closer to Westport still needs upgrading. No obvious major improvements between Newport and Mulranny but surface is OK and good reflectors on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Drove this road a few times in the past few days. Westport to Newport is about 60% done, section closer to Westport still needs upgrading. No obvious major improvements between Newport and Mulranny but surface is OK and good reflectors on the road.

the section closer to westport is being fenced now.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

This is being done in small chunks as funding is available, the last funding available was the Rossow Bends section.

Next up is the section between Newport and the townland of Derrada out towards Mullranny.

Is the section between the recently done section and Newport done?

N59 Derrada-Newport section getting environmental assessed. 4.7km

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase.asp?PID=119034

I'm back next week but how are they doing with the bit outside Westport?

marno21 wrote: »
    N59 Derrada-Newport section getting environmental assessed. 4.7km

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase.asp?PID=119034

Now looking for structural consulants:

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase_frameset.asp?PID=128579&B=ETENDERS_SIMPLE&PS=1&PP=ctm/Supplier/PublicTenders

Will likely proceed to construction when the section at Kilmeena is done. 2020 would be my bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

marno21 wrote: »
    2020 would be my bet.

Hopefully no rare snails or frogs are found there in the meantime:D

Hopefully no rare snails or frogs are found there in the meantime:D
    Scheme has planning permission so they shouldn't be an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Has the part north of Westport been done or not? Can see only site prep on Google Maps. WOuld have expected newly realigned road to be marked in by now. OSM also doesn't have it.

Advertisement