Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Italy this summer - any advice?

Options
  • 26-04-2010 10:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭

Hi, we are looking at the option of taking the campervan to Italy this summer. (Myself, herself and two childern aged 7 and 9) We've been almost everywhere in France and a good bit of Germany over the past few years and would like to try something new.
    I've driven in Italy in a car a few times - an interesting experience to say the least on the coastal roads which seem to lead to all the nice places. I'm not bothered about driving on the continent but I can't help wondering if it would be more hassle than it is worth to bring a 7m RHD motorhome there in the high season?
    Any advice?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Never had the MH in Italy. Was camping before in the north of Italy and the sites we found were not up to much. That was years ago so though. Have spent a good bit of time in Italy last year and there are loads of motorhomes on the roads. Some good MH accessory shops too. There will be no problem driving a MH in Italy. The only trouble is parking in any town or city is a disaster even if you are in a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Three things:
    You have to yield when you are on a roundabout!

Italians will have no problem overtaking on either side of you even on blind mountain hairpin bends.

Next time I'll take the train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭SeamusG97

Looking at a similar thread by MossM about driving to France and the number of replies to same I wonder has anybody actually been to Italy with a MH or does anybody care?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 newbiecamper

We did Tuscany in a campervan last summer for 2 weeks. We flew into Pisa and hired one as we didn't own a campervan at the time so it was a first in many ways. We had a great time, fantastic food & wine, friendly people, great campsites. I didn't find the traffic any more stressful than driving here to be honest. Some of the roads can be a bit windy and narrow but we just took our time. Camper was a 7 metre Rimor on a Fiat and we has two adults and 3 kids (4, 7, 10).
    In Florence and Siena we stayed at sites near the city and on a bus route so that we could just take the bus into the centre. The rest of the time we were on the coast. This year we have our own camper so we are heading to France. Italy might be a bit far to go for us at the moment as the kids don't react well to long blasts in the camper. Hope this is useful. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

We were in Italy last year with a rented campervan, only went as far as Turin, and then the Southern Ligurian coast back to the South of France. We did find the driving a bit hairy at times, Italians don't mind taking chances to put it mildly, and if you take the scenic roads South of Turin (into the slow food region and villages), there are a lot of very steep hills (to perched villages) and narrow lanes.
    But would do it again, it was our first trip in M/H so we were probably a bit more nervous than you would be.
    We stopped at a campervan italian version of an "aire" in a Southern town where we were the only foreign van, and there was a great welcoming atmosphere despite them all knowing each other from previous years. I get a feeling the M/h community are tight knit but very friendly.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info folks. Looks like we'll give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

When driving in Italy, if your camper has a carrier on the back (doesn't matter if there is anything on the carrier or not) it absolutley has to be fitted with one of these warning signs
    warntafel_gr.jpg
    http://cgi.ebay.de/Warntafel-Italien-ALU-Fahrradhecktrager-500x500-/400090998825?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Autozubeh%C3%B6r&hash=item5d27482829
    This has to be 50 x 50 cm, reflective and made out of steel or aluminium (i.e. not plastic)

Not having it results in a pair of Carabinieri with cool shades, icy smiles and a hand on the holster accompanying you to the next hole in the wall to withdraw a hefty fine straight to their pockets. (as there are a lot of Carabinieri on the roads, buying the (rather expensive) sign is cheaper than getting stopped and fleeced every day)

LOL - I've seen them - always on Italian MHs :D. Now I know why. Thanks for the ebay Link as well!

Advertisement