Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ross O Carroll Kelly

Options
  • 04-10-2009 10:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭

has anyone read the new book? is it any good ? The biography one was crap, lets hope this one is as good as Pandorras box

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Eggball

I've just finished the new one. I agree the biography was dodgy at best, but this new one is much better. It takes the story from exactly the point where it ended in Pandorra's box and carries on from there. It's worth buying for the scene in the recording studio alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

Thought it was naff to be honest, maybe because It was set in america, with the majority of the comedy being set around celebrity culture (something which I have less than no interest in), rather than south side dublin (having lived and went to blackrock college, this really appealed to me). It just seemed to fall flat on its face.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

I'm halfway through it, enjoying it so far.

I actually enjoyed the biography, I don't think it's meant to be a "Ross O'Carroll Kelly" book, and as such I enjoyed the depth provided to the characters that you wouldn't see from the Ross point of view.

edit: And having read your blog eyeball, just think what the next book is going to have Ross doing, given what he has discovered about his family. The cycle is still going to continue along it';s merry way as before.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 DANG333

Not a bad read but notting to write home about. Lookin foward to next one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

Can someone list the books in order of when they were released. I'm planning on reading them and want to follow the order they were released.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

1. The Miseducation Years
    2. The Teenage Dirtbag Years
    3. The Orange Mocha-Chip Frappuccino Years
    4. PS I Scored the Bridesmaids
    5. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nightdress
    6. Should Have Got Off at Sydney Parade
    7. This Champagne Mojito is the Last Thing I Own
    8. Mr S and the Secrets of Andorra's Box
    9. Rhino What You Did Last Summer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

chughes wrote: »
    1. The Miseducation Years
    2. The Teenage Dirtbag Years
    3. The Orange Mocha-Chip Frappuccino Years
    4. PS I Scored the Bridesmaids
    5. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nightdress
    6. Should Have Got Off at Sydney Parade
    7. This Champagne Mojito is the Last Thing I Own
    8. Mr S and the Secrets of Andorra's Box
    9. Rhino What You Did Last Summer

you forgot 8.5 We need to talk about Ross

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Erica-smiley

Just finished the new book, funny in parts but not one of the best. The whole ronan-being-a-gangster wears a bit thin and ridiculous.....! Still a funny read though. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

My opinion...... is meh.
    Disappointed to be honest.

Maybe, at 27, I'm getting too old for it, but it was just ridiculous in places and I felt stupid reading it.

I think the R.O.C.K. glory days are gone.

The early ones were the best imo (now I do sound old).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

you forgot 8.5 We need to talk about Ross

.................and the other filler, how to get buy on 20k a day or whatever it was called, but I presume chughes was leaving these out as they aren't really part of the series per se.

• Advertisement

MikeySligo wrote: »
    .................and the other filler, how to get buy on 20k a day or whatever it was called, but I presume chughes was leaving these out as they aren't really part of the series per se.

You're correct there Mikey. "Lets Talk About Ross" didn't advance the storyline but went back and explained the reasons why things had turned out the way they did.

I must say that I have been a huge fan of these books but this latest one isn't one of the better ones. Also, I agree with the earlier point about Ronan. All the characters in the books have been believable but right from his first appearance I found it difficult to believe any 8 year old could be/act like that. Maybe Paul Howard was trying to emphasise the point the kids in less well off socio-economoic circumstances tend to grow up and become street wise much earlier than other kids of the same age but I think Ronan is a parody that's gone too far. I know this is comedy writing and, as such, shouldn't be taken too seriously but the character of Ronan sometimes takes away the pleasure of reading these books.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Any read seedless in Seattle? Is it any good

I've just finished reading Seedless in Seattle and I'm guessing from the ending that this may be the last of the Ross O'Carroll Kelly books although next September could prove me wrong.

I've been a fan of the RO'CK books from the start but I have felt over the last few books that a decline had set in. Last years Keeping Up with the Kalashnikovs was the worst of the books and while Seedless is an improvement on last year, I can't help but feel that it's an idea that has run its course.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Thomas998

I haven't read Seedless in Seattle, but I'm looking forward to it. I agree that KUwtK wasn't the best in the series, but I thought that it seemed a deliberate choice by Howard, rather than circumstance.

Advertisement