Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Favourite

• 21-02-2002 6:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I am currently nearly out of reading material. Would appreciate it if you could list your favourite authors, and the type of books they write to give me some new ideas. Two of my current favourites are David Gemmel - Fantasy, and Richard Harris - WWII related.

Thanx

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

If you like war books etc you should give "Bravo two Zero" by Andy McNab (spelling?) a shot if you haven't already.

As for fantasy books, I enjoyed Legend, but I forget the author, could well have been Gemmel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Yeah that was Gemmel. Thanx I will check that book out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭scipio_major

As a fellow Gemmel fan. I can definatly recommend Robin Hobb as an excellent up and coming fantasy writer.

Of the WWII inspired books that I've read, Alistair MacLean's stuff is quite interesting. Very cheap too if you get them 2nd hand. I don't think I've ever seen them cost more than three quid anywhere I say them, and every second hand bookshop has some lying around.

Fade to Credits
    Scipio_major

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Catch 22
    a great read and very funny! damned if I can remember the author right now, but I'm sure someone here will!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Lord Khan

yes Catch 22 is a excellent read
    author is Joesph Heller if I remember correctly :).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

try Tad williams , his "otherland" series starts off as sci-fi but alot of fantasy elements come into it later on,

and his "Memory, sorrow, and thorn" is just pure 1st class fantasy, easily one of my favourite, if not the favourite, fantasy series.

or Robert Jordan's "wheel of time", david eddings , Terry Goodkind.. there are a fair few good writers out there :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Gerald Seymour is an amazing writer, id recommend him very highly, having read several of his books and am currently reading one at the moment, id rate him even higher than Clancy in that whole genre of writing. The "Journeyman Tailor" was a great novel of his about Northern Ireland. A good site with some overviews of his books can be found here http://www.tauntaun.freeserve.co.uk/seymour/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 RandyMan

A Song of Ice and Fire is a great series by George RR Martin

The Malazan Book of the Fallen is another extremely good series by Stevev Erikson:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

The Bell Jar, by Sylvia Plath.
    The Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice (though admittedly some are better than others).

Recent good books? Really enjoyed Survivor, by Chuck Palahniuk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Thanks folks that should keep me occupied for a while

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Last years Booker prize winner - The Long Narrow Road to the Deep North by Richard Flanagan is an amazing book set in a Japanese pow camp.

Advertisement