Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

Eating everything in sight. Never full.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Very anxious over a stupid meeting today. It will probably be fine but the bullies will be there. I feel inadequate for silly reasons and am trying to snap out of that mindset. Still so so trapped. Exercise is helping a good bit

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Chiquitita

God I just woke up in a complete panic!

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

Hope everyone's doing ok.

Just wanted to share that I've just finished Aware's life skills programme. I've found it really useful - it's CBT based, pretty simple stuff, but good tips/techniques to make things a little bit easier. I'd totally recommend it to anyone who needs a bit of help with stress/anxiety/depression.

http://www.aware.ie/life-skills/

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Sarah_12

I haven't used this site in a long time and even then I very rarely used it but I really wanted to share my story of Depression and Anxiety with anyone who might be interested!

I was a very moody teenager and never had a good relationship with my dad. My mum is an alcoholic and has been for a long time so she wasn't a responsible parent. I first visited the doctor at about 14 because of feeling down and being very uncomfortable in social situations, I was immediately started on Lexapro with no question or suggestion if counselling. I stayed on this drug for a number of years, during these years I attempted suicide once and self harmed. It never worked for me.

I was then started in Effexor, I stayed on this for years and it did help somewhat but I loaded on the weight while on it. I left the degree I was doing and had nearly finished, I isolated myself and lost many friends during this time.

Eventually I came off this drug with no problem and started to get things together, I lost all the weight, saw a therapist and had a new outlook on life. I was really happy.

About a year later I started to suffer from Anxiety badly, I couldn't sleep. I found my GP to be of very little help so I changed doctor and he started me back on Effexor, beta blockers and Molipaxin.

I am currently only taking Effexor and trying to ween off this at present. All I can say is it is unpleasant at the least but I'm persisting because I know I can cope without it.

I have been thinking positively and not worrying about EVERY little thing going wrong! I have become a very empathetic person and a great listener over the past 11 years of my life!

Depression is something that you can control if you try hard enough with a positive outlook, exercise and eating well. I'm not saying this is possible for everyone but for many it is and so well worth getting yourself off these pills!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Can't figure out what i'm at, feel nothing at all really.. It's so frustrating, i just can't deal with it..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Pretty bad at the mo. Planning to take the step next month and go to the doctor. If the do prescribe something, how often am I likely to have to go back. Will they want me to come back soon after the first time? Thanks

Hey Phi, sorry you're feeling like sh*te.

Im very luck that my gp is so lovely. He kept me for over an hour and told me to go back whenever. After he prescribed my medication initially he told me to go back in 2 weeks.

Different doctors may say different things. One thing to be aware of, unfortunately, it takes about 6 weeks before you feel any effects. Stick in there.

Chiquitita wrote: »
    Hey Phi, sorry you're feeling like sh*te.

Im very luck that my gp is so lovely. He kept me for over an hour and told me to go back whenever. After he prescribed my medication initially he told me to go back in 2 weeks.

Different doctors may say different things. One thing to be aware of, unfortunately, it takes about 6 weeks before you feel any effects. Stick in there.

I've waited all my life so 6 weeks is nothing!
    To be honest I don't expect it to have any affect at all.
    If I manage to go. Hope I do.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Just letting off a random anxiety here.. I have seemingly always had it in my head that 35 is the age i'll reach and then die. I turned 35 last month. It's not even a superstition thing, i just wonder will be i be reckless because i'm convinced i'm dead sometime in the next year and that will end me..

• Advertisement

Just letting off a random anxiety here.. I have seemingly always had it in my head that 35 is the age i'll reach and then die. I turned 35 last month. It's not even a superstition thing, i just wonder will be i be reckless because i'm convinced i'm dead sometime in the next year and that will end me..

I thought 25 would be my age to die.. I'm 29 now!
    My theory is it's the age you died at in your previous life... It's possible....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

But then there'd never be a difference, you' die at the same age in all lives?

In fairness though I don't necessarily disagree with the idea of some form of connection between consiousnesses of past and present, it does seem quite arbitrary to say that the age of an organisms expiry is predetermined.

On a related note I wonder is chaos theory just a way of saying 'we can't comprehend the order/ predict the future of a system because there's too many variables' which wouldn't necessarily mean that there is no linear deterministic function going on.

phi3 wrote: »
    I've waited all my life so 6 weeks is nothing!
    To be honest I don't expect it to have any affect at all.
    If I manage to go. Hope I do.

I hope that you're feeling better today. Have you made your appointment?

But then there'd never be a difference, you' die at the same age in all lives?

In fairness though I don't necessarily disagree with the idea of some form of connection between consiousnesses of past and present, it does seem quite arbitrary to say that the age of an organisms expiry is predetermined.

On a related note I wonder is chaos theory just a way of saying 'we can't comprehend the order/ predict the future of a system because there's too many variables' which wouldn't necessarily mean that there is no linear deterministic function going on.

Not that you will die at that age in this life, but that's what put it in your head.

I hope that you're feeling better today. Have you made your appointment?

No, Not going till next month, Won't have time till then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

If you're worried about being reckless surely that will make you more cautious. It's not necessarily the same thing but at one point I became convinced I wouldn't survive until the end of 2013. I had suicidal thoughts so often and I felt like I would eventually give in. Here we are three months into 2014 and I'm still alive. I don't know if that helps at all since your reasons aren't the same as mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,027 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Anyone needs cheering up I suggest watching Step Brothers on TV3 @9pm tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

very much struggling today. the deamon thoughts in my head wont leave. love some valium or something to numb them. should have went to the doctor today........gonna be a rough weekend

My compulsion involving staying completely still to stop bad things happening has gotten to the point of holding my breath so my ribcage doesn't move. Feel so lightheaded...

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Mister_Happy

Hi Gremlinertia, maybe try to start a new 35+ chapter in your life. A Renaissance if you will (Damn I'm very arty tonight). You have already accomplished 35 years but now focus on making the next 35 years 5000% better than the previous 35. Take whatever things that make YOU happy & that YOU enjoy, keep doing them and create new goals/activities that will make YOU feel good!

PS - its good to let off some random anxiety.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Mister_Happy

handbagmad wrote: »
    very much struggling today. the deamon thoughts in my head wont leave. love some valium or something to numb them. should have went to the doctor today........gonna be a rough weekend

Sometimes when I get those voices/thoughts in my head I have to be James Blunt & say to them 'Shut the f*ck up'. The funny thing is the voices/thoughts are me.

Its OK that you didn't go to the doctor today, there's always tomorrow or Sunday or a day during next week. Let's try to make the weekend a little less rough than what you think it may be. From your username, 'handbagmad', it sounds like you have a fondness for handbags or fashion, possibly head out for an hour or 2 & see what catches your eye. You don't need to buy anything, just see whats there.....ah sure maybe buy a lil thing. ;)

(If I have completely misinterpreted your username, maybe you are just mad at a certain hand bag or you have no interest whatsoever in hands or bags, I sincerely apologise)

Take care

Ugh so angry! Andi Osho tweeted her appearance form Craig Ferguson from last night. Not a huge fan but have found some of her stuff funny so thought I'd give it a watch. Nothing more relaxing after a day ruled by my compulsions than to see someone making fun of mental illness and spreading the myth that schizophrenics have multiple personalities. If you're going to reinforce the stigma regarding mental illness at least get your ****ing facts right.

Does anyone else have constant ideation? My therapist said some people experience it for long periods of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Does anyone else have constant ideation? My therapist said some people experience it for long periods of time.

What kind of ideation C?

Sorry, meant suicidal

Yeah a fair bit of it I must say. I don't feel like I'm in danger of trying anything though thankfully.

I'm the same, i'd love to have a day it's not there

I'm the same, i'd love to have a day it's not there

Sorry to hear that :(

I used to get it constantly, the second I had a second my mind wasn't occupied it was there. It's not quite as bad now but it's still never too far from my mind either.

• Advertisement

Thanks for sharing, really comforting to know i'm not the only one

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement