Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmk

Have you got a question caller?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Have you got a question caller?

He makes a plausible point though,when has Smalling last started a game for United, why rush him back half fit to replace Rio ? He got injured while he was injured last time ffs.Smalling has shown potential to be a first choice for us but unless he is fit, he isn't viable to be replacing anyone.
    I would think Fergie knew what Rio's intentions were regarding the t shirt crap beforehand and is just spouting the media drivel maybe ? Cue Rio being dropped next 5 games now. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Putting aside the dog and pony show that was today, we should be looking to have Ferdinand out of the starting lineup as soon as possible. Physically he's got very little left. I cringe these days whenever he goes into challenges, he's just so weak in them. Himself and Vidic both preclude us from playing a higher line as well. Both of them have a place in the squad and especially for bigger games where we might not be able to press and squeeze up the whole time, but neither of them are the future.

As an aside, today annoyed me immensely in that our defence just completely forgot about Newcastle and lapsed right back into the old slackness. Evans was all ends up for the chance Walters had to make it 0-2, the state of Evra for Stoke's actual second, Carrick not taking down Kightly and taking his booking for it, Rio dithering in turn when faced with him. Are we going to see a clean sheet at Old Trafford in the league in a game that's not against relegation candidates FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Fines for Premier League footballers are literally a piss take.

Say someone is on £125,000 a week, and they are fined £20,000... That's basically saying "Bold boy. You're only getting £105,000 this week!"

Hardly going to go hungry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,221 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

J. Marston wrote: »

Beginners luck.

He's going to be class.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭KH25

He's going to be class.

Still can't understand Fergie's reluctance to give him games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

RVP's technique is amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Just after seeing the goals from the game. Rooney and RVP's crosses were both brilliant.

Good to see Welbeck getting on the score sheet.

As many have said already I can't believe that RVP is actually playing for United. I said a few months ago that I didn't think we needed him. How wrong was I.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Prick!

Are you talking to me or the clubs?

Yes they can do what they want. I'm expressing my opinion that they aren't doing enough.

What is your point?

You backed Rio, I'm backing Fergie.

I'm saying if Rio isn't happy with the FA then leave it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

KH25 wrote: »
    Still can't understand Fergie's reluctance to give him games.

I don't think Fergie was going to be held to ransom by a teenager and give into his demands. Pogba may have been class, but no player is bigger than the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Eathrin wrote: »
    I don't think Fergie was going to be held to ransom by a teenager and give into his demands. Pogba may have been class, but no player is bigger than the club.

Surely people have taken an interest in ensuring they have sen Morrison and Pogba since their moves?

For me, after the noise they made, I wanted to make sure I've watched them to see if they had jsut cause.

Pogba has done **** all and Morrison might aswell quit the game now...

Absolutely no loss, either of them

Also,

Ferdinand would do himself a world of good to keep himself quiet and out of the limelight. Instead of bringing himself unwanted attention to himself and his rapidly declining game.

His been pretty horrible in my book this season so far, rightly not included in England squads as they have superior CB's. I'm not comfy until Jones and Smalling return, really not.

And as the likes of Ruud, Staam and Keane have said before, they never say their exit from Old Trafford until it happened. Ferdinand needs to watch himself...big time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

TheDoc wrote: »
    Also,

Ferdinand would do himself a world of good to keep himself quiet and out of the limelight. Instead of bringing himself unwanted attention to himself and his rapidly declining game.

His been pretty horrible in my book this season so far, rightly not included in England squads as they have superior CB's. I'm not comfy until Jones and Smalling return, really not.

And as the likes of Ruud, Staam and Keane have said before, they never say their exit from Old Trafford until it happened. Ferdinand needs to watch himself...big time.

Lol, seriously?

He has been brilliant at times this season. He has lost a few yards but his positioning and tackling has been top notch. No need to be lightening quick when you can read the game like he can and then make the interception.

Jones will be a great player but I'd have Rio in there ahead of him. Hopefully Jones will eventually take over from him.

Surely people have taken an interest in ensuring they have sen Morrison and Pogba since their moves?

For me, after the noise they made, I wanted to make sure I've watched them to see if they had jsut cause.

Morrison and Pogba are polar opposites in my opinion.

Morrison, a very talented young player, made noise about not playing because he is a spoiled little wannabe gangster and thinks he is entitled to walk into a team because he can play ball and doesn't think you need to behave like a professional. Ultimately got his wish and moved, now he can't get a game in the Championship because nobody wants a future inmate in their team.

Pogba, a very talented young player, made noise about not playing because he felt he was good enough and wanted to be involved without seeing Rafael being picked in CM ahead of him. Got his wish and moved and is now breaking into the side at the reigning champions of Italy, playing alongside Pirlo and Vidal and scoring screamers in Serie A.

So Morrison is no loss and has proved that getting rid of him was actually great for the club in the long run. Pogba however, should have been given more love. An immense prospect in a position we are DESPERATELY in need of strengthening and we let him go to a major European club and is knocking on the door of the first team. Pogba was definitely a loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Prick! wrote: »
    You backed Rio, I'm backing Fergie.

I'm saying if Rio isn't happy with the FA then leave it.

lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Prick!

lol

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Mikeyt086 wrote: »

Morrison, a very talented young player, made noise about not playing because he is a spoiled little wannabe gangster and thinks he is entitled to walk into a team because he can play ball and doesn't think you need to behave like a professional. Ultimately got his wish and moved, now he can't get a game in the Championship because nobody wants a future inmate in their team.

Pogba, a very talented young player, made noise about not playing because he felt he was good enough and wanted to be involved without seeing Rafael being picked in CM ahead of him. Got his wish and moved and is now breaking into the side at the reigning champions of Italy, playing alongside Pirlo and Vidal and scoring screamers in Serie A.

So Morrison is no loss and has proved that getting rid of him was actually great for the club in the long run. Pogba however, should have been given more love. An immense prospect in a position we are DESPERATELY in need of strengthening and we let him go to a major European club and is knocking on the door of the first team. Pogba was definitely a loss.

Hate that your right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Was just looking back on who our scorers in the league were.

Rafael - 2
    Kagawa - 2
    VP - 6
    Buttner - 1
    Scholes -1
    Powell - 1
    Chicho - 1
    Nani - 1
    Evra - 1
    Evans - 1
    Cleverley - 1
    Rooney - 2
    Welbeck - 1

Pretty crazy to see so many chipping in this early in the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,295 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Player ratings link for the Stoke game:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dGt5MFhUbHZ4cy1la1B6WlBCbE44OVE6MQ#gid=0

Player ratings results for the Newcastle game:

Name|Avrage Rating
    Rooney | 8.43
    Evans | 7.73
    Cleverley | 7.73
    Ferdinand | 7.37
    Rafael | 7.33
    Evra | 7.33
    Carrick | 6.9
    Van Persie | 6.7
    De Gea | 5.9
    Valencia | 5.87
    Kagawa | 5.7
    Welbeck | 5.66
    Scholes | 5.5
    Giggs | 5

Link to the ratings:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqNp5FJ_qnMYdGdYTnNMVmdhZVdjd1dTY1FBLS1jR0E

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,827 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Morrison apparently had a great game yesterday,due it tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Also,

Lol, seriously?

He has been brilliant at times this season. He has lost a few yards but his positioning and tackling has been top notch. No need to be lightening quick when you can read the game like he can and then make the interception.

Jones will be a great player but I'd have Rio in there ahead of him. Hopefully Jones will eventually take over from him.

I would agree with Doc. Rio is well past it and has been pretty poor this season for United. It's not just the lack of pace, which is noticable, it's the fact that he wont close attackers down and positions himself so that somebody else has to. The goal that Bale scored is a perfect example of this. He just doesn't have the courage to go close down and risk being made look silly.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »

Some good points, but please don't be on that bandwagon of assuming losses and "class players" without any reasonable proof of form or consistency.

Pogba has started 1 game this season and made three late appearances as a sub for Juventus. He displayed little in his time time with us from what I saw in the reserve games that warranted his instant inclusion in our midfield. Yes a decent player with some good ball retention skills. But ahead of him this year was Anderson, Cleverly, Carrick ,Scholes and Fletcher when fit.

Irregardless he would have been limited at best, getting cameos and cup run outs. So if his stance was him demanding inclusions, in my view it was totally unreasonable, and if he wasnt willing to listen to a manager with a proven track record of developing fine youngsters, at a club with a fully recognised setup of providing top facilities and coaching to developing youth players, it really was no big loss.

Just in my view. In five years time he turns out to be a world class CM, then yeah, I'll be miffed, but hes shown nothing at present or in recent memory that instills a fiery sense of anger that he left : /

Best of luck to him, he wanted to play football, wasnt willing to wait so thats fine, I've no major issues with him. Just think it was a unreasonable for him to be claiming for inclusion, but sure if he breaks into Juventus fair play to him.

Lol, seriously?

I'm very serious. I have always been a big fan of Rio but his rapid decline is very noticable.

His only real outstanding performance this year was against Liverpool, where if I'm honest, it looked like he was playing a little on that injury. He broke into lengthy strides during that game where if he was genuinelly feeling muscle strain, he wouldnt be able too, so I was bit " ah heor leave it ou" when he was at that nonsense.

Rio hs always been culpable for lapses in concentration, poor decision making and inability to read the game, but was always able to mask it up with his pace and recovery. He visibly cannot do that anymore, and its starting to become noticeable

Hopefully it is just a bad patch or a blip or something, but I'm deadly serious, he has been below his normal standard so far this year, clearly visible in the amount of goal scoring opportunities being created against us.

I'm not being OTT over his calamity in Knightly's goal yesterday, there was other chances in that game, and in other games previous where I'm looking at Rio going " what the **** are you at?"

Also could be emphased personally by the circus he as attracting in recent times with Twitter and his antics, and I know I don't really appreciate the ****e its bringing

dahat wrote: »
    Morrison apparently had a great game yesterday,due it tbh

Watched the game on football first after being told he had a good game. I think it was more

"He wasn't a completely useless bag of piss" rather then being a standout performer, but some good stuff from him. About time, he has alot to prove and do for himself to get back any sort of respect from any footballing fan or player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭KH25

Eathrin wrote: »

Its not a question of being held to ransom. You're right, no player is bigger than the club, but Pogba wasn't given a chance. CM is the area where we are screaming out for improvement and Fergie didn't give him a shot, even playing Rafael ahead of him. I don't think Pogba handled himself very well during the transfer thing but I also can't blame him for wanting to leave. I really think it was a mistake on Fergie's part to not give him more games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I'm very serious. I have always been a big fan of Rio but his rapid decline is very noticable.

His only real outstanding performance this year was against Liverpool, where if I'm honest, it looked like he was playing a little on that injury. He broke into lengthy strides during that game where if he was genuinelly feeling muscle strain, he wouldnt be able too, so I was bit " ah heor leave it ou" when he was at that nonsense.

Rio hs always been culpable for lapses in concentration, poor decision making and inability to read the game, but was always able to mask it up with his pace and recovery. He visibly cannot do that anymore, and its starting to become noticeable

Hopefully it is just a bad patch or a blip or something, but I'm deadly serious, he has been below his normal standard so far this year, clearly visible in the amount of goal scoring opportunities being created against us.

I'm not being OTT over his calamity in Knightly's goal yesterday, there was other chances in that game, and in other games previous where I'm looking at Rio going " what the **** are you at?"

Also could be emphased personally by the circus he as attracting in recent times with Twitter and his antics, and I know I don't really appreciate the ****e its bringing

Its been like this Rio's whole career at United, people never seem to appreciate what he brings to the team.

Even now, in the twilight of his career he is still a top drawer defender, and it seems many people wont know what we actually have until he is gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Interestingly enough Rvp has played in 56 consecutive League games Jon Walters is the only outfield player to have a longer run of games .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Jax Teller wrote: »
    Interestingly enough Rvp has played in 56 consecutive League games Jon Walters is the only outfield player to have a longer run of games .

Long may it continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

I've just been watching a lot of random United videos on Youtube and noticed comments under some videos which seemed to be from City fans and they were ending their comments with "9>3". Anyone able to tell me what this is in reference to?

• Advertisement

I've just been watching a lot of random United videos on Youtube and noticed comments under some videos which seemed to be from City fans and they were ending their comments with "9>3". Anyone able to tell me what this is in reference to?

Well, if you take the fact that people who go around and post hateful comments on YouTube cannot be more intelligent than your average 5 year old, maybe they are flaunting the new mathematics they learned in school that week? 9 is greater than 3, you have to give them that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Rio's performance against Liverpool this year, where he didn't give Suarez a sniff, was outstanding. He's still our best defender going by overall form and consistency these last several months. With Vidic out he has been a much needed influence in the the back four. He's generally been fit and has struck up a good partnership with Evans and has adjusted his game slightyly to deal with the lack of pace, withdrawing a bit to intercept the ball with his positioning and reading of the game. He still gets caught out the odd time. Most defenders do. But it doesn't mean they've suddenly turned to muck overnight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I think Rio is getting a harsh time over that goal yesterday. I didn't think there was much of a danger until that lucky ricochet. Just one of those things really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

Richy06 wrote: »
    Rio's performance against Liverpool this year, where he didn't give Suarez a sniff, was outstanding. He's still our best defender going by overall form and consistency these last several months. With Vidic out he has been a much needed influence in the the back four. He's generally been fit and has struck up a good partnership with Evans and has adjusted his game slightyly to deal with the lack of pace, withdrawing a bit to intercept the ball with his positioning and reading of the game. He still gets caught out the odd time. Most defenders do. But it doesn't mean they've suddenly turned to muck overnight.

United's defence has been shambolic at times this season. We have given away early goals in almost every game at OT with shocking defending the cause of most goals. Most teams have gone to OT this year with a "**** it,lets have a go approach" and have usually caused problems.IMO, Evans,Rio,Evra have been **** so far this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

At times they've lacked concentration individually, causing the unit to look bad. Evra being a big culprit for me. Rio's ****ed up once or twice. Evans too. Not always leading to goals but still giving away goals and often going on to, as a unit, have a good performance.

I think our goalkeepers have been very kind to us this season, particularly De Gea.

As I said on a whole I agree on Evra. I'd be giving Buttner a chance and giving Evra a kick up the arse to see what he's got left. See if he can force his way back into the team. He's getting an easy ride at the moment and it looked bad to drop Buttner after he did so well.

Rafael has been much improved this season, though he has much room for improvement in his decision making defending wise.

I can't wait for Vidic, Jones and Smalling to be back as well, but it's not the end of the world yet. There's a long way to go until the end of the season and with those calibre of players still to come back into the team we can only improve. But I think we've coped pretty well in the absence of some of our best defenders this season and last.

There's always room for improvement. But as long as we keep touch with the top, we'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

A lot of people have been screaming for Buttner, mostly because everyone is pissed of with Evra. I would like so see him get a run but I'm not expecting much. With such a big injury I can't imagine Vidic coming back as strong as he was. Jones is another few seasons away from cementing his place. Evan's has be unimpressive so far this season along with Rio (who is declining in years), Rafael is outstanding going forward but is still learning the trade as a defender. Smalling is a outstanding footballer and is capable playing at RB or CB very comfortably for United. Can't wait to have him back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Loved how Anderson played after coming on as a sub. He brought the much needed energy to the midfield, he plays with lot of urgency and our tempo is never slow with him on the field. He made few good driving runs and 3 absolutely superb long balls.

Would like to see him against Chelsea and also against Braga. Carrick and Scholes won't get an inch of space against Ramires, Oscar and co. We need players with good mobility and have to play like we did against Newcastle.
    Carrick

Anderson Cleverley

Kagawa

Rooney RVP

Or Valencia/Nani instead of Kagawa proving width.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

I agree, but I can't see Carrick being dropped for any big games. I wouldn't mind a 3 man midfield of Carrick and 2 out of Cleverly, Anderson and Kagawa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

papers say were in for shawcross

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,295 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i do wonder if this Kick it Out thing between Fergie and Rio is a way of Fergie pushing Rio out the door. His contract is up in the summer so fergie could be looking to move him on, and using this as a good excuse to pull the trigger on it.

Shawcross is a good player, and his United history will make him an obvious link for the papers to make - whether there is truth in it i do't know, though I would be shocked if United were not keeping tabs on him and had him on a list of possible targets.

Personally, I would be dead against Rio leaving at this stage. He's still one of the best around IMO and I really don't see why he is bearing the brunt of the anger towards our defence. |The defence as a unit, including the midfield and attack, have been poor this season. Rio, against Liverpool, put in one of the best defensive displays you will see all season by anyone. He is still class. With question marks over Vidic's long term fitness I think it would be crazy to lose Rio. Especially when Smalling and Evans have never looked good together and while Jones is still quite a long way off being a top class centre back.

On paper, Jones, Shawcross, Evans and Smalling does look very promising, so I would be excited at the possibility were it to come around, but I certainly won't be calling for it to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Saw that as well,Isnt there a clause in his contract that Utd have first refusal on him? Pulis says he is going no where,but how many times have we heard managers say that in the past.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20020964

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Robbie Brady has been handed the #37 shirt for the Champions League squad.

I'd say more than likely he'll be included tomorrow with maybe Valencia rested altogether.
    Nani starting on the right. Young to get 45 on the left and then Robbie to come on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

@stevebartram1: SAF on Rio: "It's been a communication issue more than anything. We've resolved the situation, there's no lingering problems. We move on."

@MandyHenryMedia: SAF confirms Young will be involved in #mufc's game v Braga. He also says Ferdinand & Evra will be rested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

zomg feggasan is dropping Rio for not wearin the top innit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

So Smalling & Buttner starts I assume?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

So Smalling & Buttner starts I assume?

Fergie said Smalling and jones still a few weeks away. Said young will be involved tomo. Back line will be raf/Evans/Wooton/butters I'd imagine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

id like to see us win the game and just get the group sorted. allows us to maybe relax then and not have to send any of our first 16 players to Turkey.

resting Rio should not happen tomorrow, i dont have as much in our defending right now with Wooton there instead of him.

heading over again tomorrow evening, late flight after work, second trip in 4 days!

Mark Clattenburg is the ref for Chelsea game at weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Mark Clattenburg is the ref for Chelsea game at weekend

thank f*ck its not Webb or Atkinson anyway...

• Advertisement

thank f*ck its not Webb or Atkinson anyway...

Funny enough on my break today I was watching ESPN and they were showing replay of Everton v Liverpool from 07/08 season and he was ref.

Loads of controversy in which Liverpool got everything and Kuyt made one of worst challenges I have seen only to get yellow.

I was thinking if it had been United who got those decisions we would have Clattenburg in Man Utd tops and all sorts.

I think Clanttenburg is OK. Although he usually has one mare of game per season. Like you say better then the 2 you mentioned.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement