Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hy-Mac anybody?

• 27-04-2011 8:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭

Does anybody here own a Hy-Mac or have an interest in them?

My father operated Hy-Mac's (580C's and earlier models) for a lot of his working life doing land drainage work - mostly in the West Wicklow area. (Prior to that he operated Ruston Bucyrus 10RB and 22RB draglines...and also a Fuchs 301, MkII JCB etc)

I spotted this restored Hy-Mac (580C ?) near Arklow recently...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

still see a couple up around this way,think their farmers machines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Still see a few around on farms. My father talks about the change over from 10 and 22RBs to JCBs and Hymacs, had to come up with a different way of setting out trenches. I have vague memories of seeing rope operated machines in the 60s, they still hold a fascination for me now.

You can still get Hymac parts from www.hymac-parts.co.uk

The other early machine my father was familiar with was the Whitlock Dinkum Digger, 60's rival to the JCB.

I subscribe to Classic Plant and Machinery, good read for anyone interested in this sort of thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

I don't own any but have fond memories of seeing them working a lot more when i was younger. Seems to be few of them left now but i occasionalyl see them, last one i saw was in co. clare a few days ago actaully, looked operational and going by where it was parked it looked to be stopped for the day mid way through digging out a drain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

There is one just up the road from me, a Power-slide model.
    I though it was ready to be scrapped after it didn't move for 5+ years then last week I saw it working in a field across the road!
    My bad, thats a JCB not a Hymac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

The cousin has a 580C and I know another man about 3 miles away from him also has a 580c
    Bot6h good diggers with a nice bit of digging power.
    I like the look of them actually nice purr from the motors also (Perkins??)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Hunter21

Out of interest what ever happened the hy-mac company? were they taking over by another company or did they go bust?

Reason I ask is becasue my father is a qualified hy-mac fitter. But hasnt worked on them in about 30years. He's actually in the financial sector now, how much some career paths change

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

red menace wrote: »
    The cousin has a 580C and I know another man about 3 miles away from him also has a 580c
    Bot6h good diggers with a nice bit of digging power.
    I like the look of them actually nice purr from the motors also (Perkins??)

No, as far as I know it is the same 6cyl diesel engine that you find in the olf Ford Cargos.

Funnily enough I spotted one today while out for a run, I must go back and take a pic. It too looked like it had been working that day.

Gaynors near Frenchpark have a restored one out the front

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Slidey wrote: »
    No, as far as I know it is the same 6cyl diesel engine that you find in the olf Ford Cargos.

Funnily enough I spotted one today while out for a run, I must go back and take a pic. It too looked like it had been working that day.

Apparently they were available with either a Ford or Perkins engine.

I Would love to see pics of those Hy-Macs ...especially the restored Hy-Mac @ Gaynors??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

We have one still in working order,perkins 6354 engine in her is sweet.It takes a lot of getting used to and I dont really go near it much other than to move it on the low loader.
    About 5 years ago it was lifting a big stone onto a 14ton dump trailer while digging for a slatted tank with the uncle and the stone slipped and came into the cab doing a bit of damage.Other than freeze plugs,radiator pipes and drive shafts replaced she has been grand.
    Our neighbour here used to own BT's,C's and even a D before they were replaced by the UHO and the rest of the Hitachi family.I remember when the D first arrived he and most other people hated it because the cab was on the opposite side.
    In recent times I've seen a few artics with sometimes 2 hymacs on board heading for a sad end at the scrapper.There are a few around but most people see them for their commercial value rather than historic value,who else would give you 3k for a 40year old machine.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Speaking of Gaynors, I was thinking of buying a machine, anyone here have any dealings with Gaynors?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭Ford4000

The 580b at gaynors is really sweet, have dealt with them through the lads i work for and they find them spot on!

Ford4000 wrote: »
    The 580b at gaynors is really sweet, have dealt with them through the lads i work for and they find them spot on!

Any pics of the Hy-Mac at Gaynors guys?

IMG00134-20110612-1513.jpg

Here ya go Silvera, was passing today. Was pissing down so wasn't getting out of the car!

IMG00150-20110623-0908.jpg

This one is out working for a living

IMG00134-20110612-1513.jpg

Here ya go Silvera, was passing today. Was pissing down so wasn't getting out of the car!

Thanks a mil Slidey!

That looks like one tidy 580C!.....never saw 'HY-MAC' painted on the bucket before though...ever in brochure pics! ...nic touch all the same!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 hymac580bt

Hi,

Does anyone know where I would get a driven sprocket drive shaft for a Hymac 580BT? This is the shaft that drives the track sprocket wheel. The earlier 580C with the two top rollers fitted is the same undercarriage. I am presently restoring a 580BT and need this shaft to complete the undercarriage overhaul.

Regards,
    Ian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Cousins of the father use a hymac 580c around the farm…..
    Guy in the road from me has a old poclain but its gone to rack and ruin.

Uncles spent their 20s working in manchester….. often hear stories of them on 22rbs etc. apparently they were a terror to get on a low loader

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Go to Easons and find a copy of Classic Plant and Machinery. There's usually a couple of UK parts suppliers and there's a company that refurbs Hymacs.

Welcome by the way, re-opening old threads is usually frowned on but as your query is very specific I'll let it go (and it's an interesting one anyway!)

Advertisement