Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Annoying radio reception problem.

Options
  • 20-07-2014 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭

Evening gents. My '03 Laguna simply will not properly pick up radio stations. Theyre crackling, fuzzy and the auto AF search is constantly kicking in.
    Generally, these cars have a stupid rear window glass/ariel setup and they give trouble. I got a new aftermarket Kenwood radio some time ago and the reception stayed poor. This evening Ive spent the last hour and a half fitting a new roof mounted ariel and running a complete, 1 piece, 4 metre cable along the passenger side of the roof, down the A-pillar and across the inside of the dash to the radio itself. And the reception is just as bad. Its infuriating to be honest, a 260 radio switched off because I cant take the continous crackling.

TLDR; having replaced literally the entire radio reception circuit, and radio, I still have **** reception. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Might be worth running a separate earth lead back to the battery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Make sure you are using top notch insulation cable from the direct radio connection to the antenna. Cheap cable will allow interference to enter. It must be the insulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

johnayo wrote: »
    Might be worth running a separate earth lead back to the battery.

From the radio, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

From the radio, right?
    Yes.

Make sure you are using top notch insulation cable from the direct radio connection to the antenna. Cheap cable will allow interference to enter. It must be the insulation.

The ariel kit was about 30 quid. Too cheap?:o

• Advertisement

The ariel kit was about 30 quid. Too cheap?:o

Right, expensive enough indeed. Unless there is engine interference getting through to other audio connections. Just look at the audio connections and make sure they are insulated well. And also look for a cable link looped/overlapping wires near other engine wires that might be causing interference. Basically keep all the radio cables and antenna cable well away from any other wiring to the engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Evening gents. My '03 Laguna simply will not properly pick up radio stations. Theyre crackling, fuzzy and the auto AF search is constantly kicking in.
    Generally, these cars have a stupid rear window glass/ariel setup and they give trouble. I got a new aftermarket Kenwood radio some time ago and the reception stayed poor. This evening Ive spent the last hour and a half fitting a new roof mounted ariel and running a complete, 1 piece, 4 metre cable along the passenger side of the roof, down the A-pillar and across the inside of the dash to the radio itself. And the reception is just as bad. Its infuriating to be honest, a 260 radio switched off because I cant take the continous crackling.

TLDR; having replaced literally the entire radio reception circuit, and radio, I still have **** reception. Any ideas?

It could be your radio at fault. You should try another head unit if you have one lying around or else try the radio you have in another car if that's possible.

Is it a long aerial you fitted or is it one of those short ones?

Its just over 1 foot long. The earthing job didn't help and a second pioneer unit does the same thing but Ive noticed the problem getting worse as I tighten the ariel base to the roof and better as I loosen it. Ive already taken apart the base to ensure nothing was done wrong in the factory. Completely disconnecting it and leaving the end of the cable hanging out over the boot results in quite good reception.. The only wires the ariel cable is running alongside are some wires for the overhead interior lights.
    Thanks again for the suggestions, folks :)

Its just over 1 foot long. The earthing job didn't help and a second pioneer unit does the same thing but Ive noticed the problem getting worse as I tighten the ariel base to the roof and better as I loosen it. Ive already taken apart the base to ensure nothing was done wrong in the factory. Completely disconnecting it and leaving the end of the cable hanging out over the boot results in quite good reception.. The only wires the ariel cable is running alongside are some wires for the overhead interior lights.
    Thanks again for the suggestions, folks :)

It definitely looks like you have an earth problem. It seems like the earth cabling system through the cars engine is causing electromagnetic feedback. If you can get a good rubber base around 2 inches thick and fit the antenna to this as it will be away from the roof/earth of the vehicle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭dougie-lampkin

It's also necessary to get a good ground for the cable where the aerial bolts onto the roof. The underside of the roof is painted, you'll need to flap disc or grind this to bare metal to ensure the aerial cable has an earth. That sounds like your issue to me.

It would be unusual to get interference if the aerial has solid connections at both ends, as it uses the earth as a shield. Without a good connection on the underside of the roof (usually it's a ring terminal), you have no shielding, and anything the aerial picks up will be drowned out on the cable's route through the car.

• Advertisement
Advertisement