Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denied BTEA Question

Options
  • 16-09-2014 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi guys,

Just been denied BTEA, reason given was not out of formal education for two years. I had no idea this was even a condition.

I'm 21 (as of January 20 2013) and claiming since June 2013 when a two year BTEC course I did ended.

Any hope in appealing this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ohgodhelp

Also if someone could give me a clear answer on this real quick it would be great -

I got a grant from the VEC when I was in a Further Education college, for both a one year FETAC Level 5 course and then a two year BTEC Higher National Diploma. According to my friend I wont get a SUSI grant for my degree (Level 8) now. Is this true? I was sure I'd get it as long as I was moving up in education.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,880 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

ohgodhelp wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Just been denied BTEA, reason given was not out of formal education for two years. I had no idea this was even a condition.

I'm 21 (as of January 20 2013) and claiming since June 2013 when a two year BTEC course I did ended.

Any hope in appealing this?

It is a requirement. maybe ring the BTEA office in Carrick and Shannon and see what they say

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Back-to-Education-Allowance-Scheme.aspx
    (C) Aged 18 and under 21 and out of formal education for at least 2 years. Periods spent on FÁS/Fáilte Ireland full-time Training Courses, FÁS Job Initiative, Youth Reach or Job Assist can count towards the relevant qualifying period and may be regarded as periods out of formal education

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 40,880 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Also if someone could give me a clear answer on this real quick it would be great -

I got a grant from the VEC when I was in a Further Education college, for both a one year FETAC Level 5 course and then a two year BTEC Higher National Diploma. According to my friend I wont get a SUSI grant for my degree (Level 8) now. Is this true? I was sure I'd get it as long as I was moving up in education.

If your higher diploma was a level 8 then it is unlikely you would get a SUSI grant

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Unfortunately i think your not gonna get it. Its a basic rule that doesnt really have any grey areas.

Any hope of the SUSI Grant instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ohgodhelp

It is a requirement. maybe ring the BTEA office in Carrick and Shannon and see what they say

I'm not under 21 though, why is it applying to me? Did I have to be 21 before January 1st 2014?
    If your higher diploma was a level 8 then it is unlikely you would get a SUSI grant
    Unfortunately i think your not gonna get it. Its a basic rule that doesnt really have any grey areas.

Any hope of the SUSI Grant instead?

Rang SUSI today just to check on that, my diploma was a BTEC HND, not sure where it falls on the Irish scale but certainly not a level 8 so should have no trouble getting the grant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

I'm not under 21 though, why is it applying to me? Did I have to be 21 before January 1st 2014?

Yes, more than likely that is the issue. It is a stupid rule and it caused myself to lose out a year of my life too. I got work during that year but still it was menial and way below my skill level.

Advertisement