Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confused on BTEA and previous education.

Options
  • 03-09-2014 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

I am trying to figure out my prospects for returning to education next year as a mature student. I have quite a few questions on both the BTEA and the grant scheme. I know I can only qualify for one, I may qualify for neither. My situation is I am currently unemployed. I completed a FETAC approved level 6 course over 7 years ago, basically a PLC. I became employed here in Ireland following completion of the course and later immigrated to work in the profession I had studied on the PLC for over 3 years. I received BTEA and partial grant for this two year course. Since returning home I have been unsuccessful in gaining employment at all. I now would like to look at maybe returning to education to pursue another profession altogether where I feel I would have more success and happiness in finding long term employment or even self employment one day. I would prefer to take up a degree course but am unsure at this stage if I will have much success getting accepted to my preferred courses at degree level. My first question is would I qualify after the required 9 months unemployment for another BTEA - keeping in mind its been over 7 years of a gap between studies? My second question (and forgive me if its been answered on here a dozen times already) If I was lucky enough to get a higher diploma or degree placement and did not qualify for BTEA would I qualify for a grant at all? And if so for all of the 4 years I would be in college or would they consider the first one or even two years where I received previous funding for the PLC as having already been a 'grant' paid to me? I was on BTEA but I do recall getting some small funding towards expenses for my PLC.
    And final question- If I was only given the option of starting at FETAC level 5 again in 2015 with a view to hopefully eventually being accepted to a degree after (like a foundation course or something) would I qualify for anything given my circumstance?
    I thank you in advance for your time and I hope all that was understandable!
    I appreciate any input at all. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭spudnick

Bakedwhite wrote: »
    I am trying to figure out my prospects for returning to education next year as a mature student. I have quite a few questions on both the BTEA and the grant scheme. I know I can only qualify for one, I may qualify for neither. My situation is I am currently unemployed. I completed a FETAC approved level 6 course over 7 years ago, basically a PLC. I became employed here in Ireland following completion of the course and later immigrated to work in the profession I had studied on the PLC for over 3 years. I received BTEA and partial grant for this two year course. Since returning home I have been unsuccessful in gaining employment at all. I now would like to look at maybe returning to education to pursue another profession altogether where I feel I would have more success and happiness in finding long term employment or even self employment one day. I would prefer to take up a degree course but am unsure at this stage if I will have much success getting accepted to my preferred courses at degree level. My first question is would I qualify after the required 9 months unemployment for another BTEA - keeping in mind its been over 7 years of a gap between studies? My second question (and forgive me if its been answered on here a dozen times already) If I was lucky enough to get a higher diploma or degree placement and did not qualify for BTEA would I qualify for a grant at all? And if so for all of the 4 years I would be in college or would they consider the first one or even two years where I received previous funding for the PLC as having already been a 'grant' paid to me? I was on BTEA but I do recall getting some small funding towards expenses for my PLC.
    And final question- If I was only given the option of starting at FETAC level 5 again in 2015 with a view to hopefully eventually being accepted to a degree after (like a foundation course or something) would I qualify for anything given my circumstance?
    I thank you in advance for your time and I hope all that was understandable!
    I appreciate any input at all. :)

If you are progressing in education (ie level 6 previously completed and are now doing a level 7) you would qualify for beta provided you have been unemployed for 9 months and are over 23 years of age.

I believe the same stands for the grant ie along as you are progressing in education it's covered..

Could always ring dsp beta in Shannon great at answering questions

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Bakedwhite

Thanks for the reply.
    So if I understand it, even if you are planning to study in a totally different area and no matter how long between courses, you can only progress up. You will not be considered for BTEA or a grant to study at a similar level (or below) again even if its with a view to furthering on to a higher level after. Its just I am trying to ensure I have a fall back if I didn't get accepted on a level 7 or 8 (diploma or degree). Its early days but it makes my options a bit more limited for what I want to study. I understand the idea behind it, I am just wondering if there was a situation where they would ever consider the change of profession or the time between studies? Or if anyone has any experience with this?
    Thanks again.

most colleges keep a number of places for mature student with different entry req so the chances of you getting a course would be high.

you could also look at springboard.
    they do lots of courses aimed at people looking to change/upskill ect.
    you would be entitled to keep your sw payment and most of the courses are a gateway into level7/8 full time uni degrees.

i know there is a second chance programme for the student grant but afaik its for people returning to education after a period of 5 years who have previously attended college but did not complete the course..

any way i would deffo check out your local citizens info office and ask them
    and also the btea office in shannon is really helpful...

hope this helps..

out of curiosity what were you looking to study?

At the moment I'm looking at Environmental studies or ecology. I did do honours biology at Leaving Cert level and got a B, I have since done an anatomy and physiology course as part if my last fetac course, enjoyed it and did really well. Its more the mathematics and other science subjects that I feel may hold me back. I only did pass maths in the LC and no other science subject. I know as a mature student my LC points won't be taken into account but Im sure if it comes down to only a few places for mature students the more relevant the past studies the better to help you get a look in. Also the ecology degree in Cork is the only one I believe in Ireland so places are obviously limited. I have seen some lower level fetac courses that could help me get up to speed in the area, its just good to know theres no point looking if I'm too broke to do them. :$

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Starr111

Hi I don't know if I'm writing this in the correct forum but I'm new .

My question is about back to education
    The thing I hold a level 5 qualification , I completed year 1 of level 6/7 undergraduate course but did not continue it and now been out of education for nearly 2 years. Now I've applied for level 8 undergraduate course, my question will I be entitled to back to education allowance ?

Any help would be appreciated .
    Thanks

Hello Star111
    From what I can gather if you are accepted to a level 8 and are unemployed for the required 9 months previous to the commencement of the college year, you will be entitled to BTEA, but you will probably not be entitled to the fees payment part of the grant which someone on BTEA would normally be entitled to, at least for the first year of your course as you will have had the fees for the first year of your previous course already paid. This is just what I can make from other posts and advice Ive seen on here. However I would advise you to do as sputnik said and contact the BTEA dept in Shannon, maybe they can give you a better answer, everyones case is slightly different and you can never really tell what rules have changed or apply to each individual, so it seems. I contacted my local citizens advice and got very little help, I was just unlucky on the day with who I got 'advising' me.
    Good luck :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Starr111

Bakedwhite wrote: »
    Hello Star111
    From what I can gather if you are accepted to a level 8 and are unemployed for the required 9 months previous to the commencement of the college year, you will be entitled to BTEA, but you will probably not be entitled to the fees payment part of the grant which someone on BTEA would normally be entitled to, at least for the first year of your course as you will have had the fees for the first year of your previous course already paid. This is just what I can make from other posts and advice Ive seen on here. However I would advise you to do as sputnik said and contact the BTEA dept in Shannon, maybe they can give you a better answer, everyones case is slightly different and you can never really tell what rules have changed or apply to each individual, so it seems. I contacted my local citizens advice and got very little help, I was just unlucky on the day with who I got 'advising' me.
    Good luck :D

Thanks for the reply !! I completed year 1 of the level 7 and passed. I got accepted on the level 8. I'm just so worried incase I don't but maybe I will get it because in over the 9 months :) but you think I will ? I was thinking maybe I'm not entitled to fees either.
    Yes i will have to ring. Do you know how to contact them ? Sorry for the questions but thanks for your help!
    Hope you get some answers yourself too ! Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

Originally Posted by Bakedwhite ....
    Its just I am trying to ensure I have a fall back if I didn't get accepted on a level 7 or 8 (diploma or degree).

If you do not get an offer on a degree/undergraduate course, the BTEA payment/application would not be effected if you are going to do a PLC/Fetac course to gain entrance to a Degree/Undergraduate course. There a minimal fees for PLC courses that are not covered by the grant scheme.
    In fact the BTEA may in some cases be better than the maintenance part of the grant, even at special rate.

You mentioned that you went abroad for some time since your last course 7 years ago, so remember you must have been a resident in Ireland, the EU, EEA or Switzerland for 3 of the last 5 years to be eligible for the fees/contribution part of the grant in Ireland.

If you only previously attended a PLC/Fetac course and it not above the PLC 6, You may be eligible for the Fees part of the grant as long as you meet all the other criteria in your application.

I hope this has answered your question better and has assisted you in making an application.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

Hi I don't know if I'm writing this in the correct forum but I'm new .

My question is about back to education
    The thing I hold a level 5 qualification , I completed year 1 of level 6/7 undergraduate course but did not continue it and now been out of education for nearly 2 years. Now I've applied for level 8 undergraduate course, my question will I be entitled to back to education allowance ?

Any help would be appreciated .
    Thanks

You will be only eligible to apply for grant funding if you are entering year 2 of the level 8 and meet the other criteria.
    You have to be 5 years without study/education before your first year level 6/7 is disregarded and be a second chance student.

BTEA is a DSP payment that has it's own criteria, but if you were not successful in getting BTEA but successful in obtaining grant funding for year 2, you may be entitled to some maintenance part of the grant based on the reckonable income of the household against the thresholds.

• Advertisement
Advertisement