Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USA Graduate Visa

Options
  • 13-11-2013 4:05pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7

Hi there,
    Thinking of heading to the states in Jan/Feb 2014 on one of the graduate visas as I finish this semester. Anyone else heading out?
    Thinking probably to chicago.
    Anyone any idea of the final cost of the visa exc. flights?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

I've gone with IIIC to Boston.

Total price all included, €1486.

USIT are over 2k.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 David10

Quality, cheers! You over there now? How's the job situation finding something 'related' to your course?

I'm not over there until Dec 30 (Visa not starting till Jan 20th), but have been in constant contact with the IIIC and they are helping me with applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Kanney wrote: »
    I'm not over there until Dec 30 (Visa not starting till Jan 20th), but have been in constant contact with the IIIC and they are helping me with applications.

I could be wrong but I thought you couldn't enter until 10 days before your visa?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

I could be wrong but I thought you couldn't enter until 10 days before your visa?

• Advertisement

spideog7 wrote: »

You're allowed a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Morgan317

You're allowed a month.

Have you had your embassy meeting? Mine is tomorrow I haven't much prepared for it...where bouts in America you going?

Morgan317 wrote: »
    Have you had your embassy meeting? Mine is tomorrow I haven't much prepared for it...where bouts in America you going?

Heading to Boston, the embassy interview is just like going to a bank teller like. Just make sure you have all the right stuff.

General Required Documents - For All Visa Types
    The following documents are required for all visa types:

Current Passport valid for travel to the United States. The passport must be valid for at least six months beyond the period of stay in the United States (unless exempt by country-specific agreements.)
    All previous passports, especially those that show any international trips or previously issued visas to the United States.
    Nonimmigrant Visa Application, Form DS-160 confirmation page.
    Appointment Confirmation page printed from this website.
    One 5 x 5 cm (or 2" x 2") color photo taken within the last 6 months. Further details regarding Department of State photo guidelines can be found at: http://travel.state.gov/visa/visaphotoreq/visaphotoreq_5334.html.
    Accompanying family members, unless entering the United States for another purpose, should present an original marriage certificate (spouse) and/or birth certification (for unmarried children under 21), as applicable. Many visa types require additional documents. Please see the section below.

Sorry if thats all on top of itself. But its very straight forward, word of warning though, they don't let you take any bags in with you, I had two cos I was up for the weekend, luckily my aunt worked across the road so I was able to leave them with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Morgan317

Heading to Boston, the embassy interview is just like going to a bank teller like. Just make sure you have all the right stuff.

General Required Documents - For All Visa Types
    The following documents are required for all visa types:

Current Passport valid for travel to the United States. The passport must be valid for at least six months beyond the period of stay in the United States (unless exempt by country-specific agreements.)
    All previous passports, especially those that show any international trips or previously issued visas to the United States.
    Nonimmigrant Visa Application, Form DS-160 confirmation page.
    Appointment Confirmation page printed from this website.
    One 5 x 5 cm (or 2" x 2") color photo taken within the last 6 months. Further details regarding Department of State photo guidelines can be found at: http://travel.state.gov/visa/visaphotoreq/visaphotoreq_5334.html.
    Accompanying family members, unless entering the United States for another purpose, should present an original marriage certificate (spouse) and/or birth certification (for unmarried children under 21), as applicable. Many visa types require additional documents. Please see the section below.

Sorry if thats all on top of itself. But its very straight forward, word of warning though, they don't let you take any bags in with you, I had two cos I was up for the weekend, luckily my aunt worked across the road so I was able to leave them with her.

Great stuff thanks for that! I'm heading to Boston myself..have you started looking at jobs over there? When you heading off?

Heading over there December 30th, I spent 3 summers there on J1, got a lot of family and mates over there.

I'm going with the IIIC and they are helping me find a job in my field (I.T) , I've sent two applications for jobs over there, one crowd got back to me saying they were looking for someone immediately but to check back when I get over there.
    The other I have yet to hear back from, followed up with them on Monday.

All looks promising so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭GavK

Anybody in Chicago ? Or planning on going there ?

Advertisement