Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick question re: Grants

Options
  • 16-09-2014 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

I have sent in all my documentation to SUSI and waiting to hear back...

The college has told me that the tuition fees will not be covered by the HEA.

Does SUSI cover this in some cases or does the SUSI grant ONLY cover the student contribution fees?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

Have you previously attended a course at the same level?

The SUSI grant if awarded and depending on what type of award, pays the contribution or/and the tuition fees.
    But technically the tuition fees are still paid by the HEA.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Gus Ivey

No this is my first time attending third level education.

The issue is that I had emigrated from June 2010 - August 2013, so do not meet the requirements of being a resident 3 of the last 5 years.

I am now worried that SUSI may only cover the student contribution part, leaving me to find a way to cover the tuition fees. My course has just started and still waiting to hear back from SUSI so getting anxious

If you were outside the EU, EEA or Switzerland for this duration, you would not be eligible for any funding from SUSI.
    IF you were already told that the HEA would not cover your tuition fees then I take it this is the case and you will not be eligible until 2016.

Is this the case?

Yes I was informed by the college that the tuition fees would not be covered by the HEA and so I asked for an extension until I hear back from SUSI.

The confusing things is that I had spoke to a SUSI representative on this website back in April about my situation and was 100% truthful and he said it would be fine, once I could produce the required documentation. (See link)

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057182405/1#post89760922

I have also spoken to Citizens Information and they said that in cases where tuition fees are not covered by the HEA, SUSI generally covers it. I really don't know where I stand.

Gus Ivey wrote: »
    Yes I was informed by the college that the tuition fees would not be covered by the HEA and so I asked for an extension until I hear back from SUSI.

The confusing things is that I had spoke to a SUSI representative on this website back in April about my situation and was 100% truthful and he said it would be fine, once I could produce the required documentation. (See link)

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057182405/1#post89760922

I have also spoken to Citizens Information and they said that in cases where tuition fees are not covered by the HEA, SUSI generally covers it. I really don't know where I stand.
    Apologies, but I counted in years from the time you left.
    That was my fault..
    A document from 13,14 and 10 will suffice.

• Advertisement

Yes, I sent in 4 letters to SUSI during my application just to be sure, for the years; 2009, 2010, 2013 and 2014 as I was in Ireland at some point during these periods.

Do you have any advice on what I should do, or can I only wait to hear back from SUSI?

I think you might have to check if you count backwards.

Sept 14 - 13 = 1 year
    Sept 13 - 12 = 0 year
    Sept 12 - 11 = 0 year
    Sept 11 - 10 = 0 year
    Sept 10 - 09 = 1 year

Total 2 years, this might be how the HEA counted your 3 of 5. So if this was the case and the HEA are still responsible for the fees then this would be your case for fees before you make 3 of 5.

Sept 16 - 15 = 1 year
    Sept 15 - 14 = 1 year
    Sept 14 - 13 = 1 year
    Sept 13 - 12 = 0 year
    Sept 12 - 11 = 0 year

You might want to check this.

Thanks I will make a few phone calls tomorrow.

I did read somewhere that a year residency counts if you have been in the country for 183 days of that year.

If that was the case:
    2009 would be OK
    2010 would be 30 days short
    2011 - NO
    2012 - NO
    2013 would be 50 days short
    2014 would be OK

Thanks I will make a few phone calls tomorrow.

I did read somewhere that a year residency counts if you have been in the country for 183 days of that year.

If that was the case:
    2009 would be OK
    2010 would be 30 days short
    2011 - NO
    2012 - NO
    2013 would be 50 days short
    2014 would be OK

Hope it works out for you. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,912 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

No this is my first time attending third level education.

The issue is that I had emigrated from June 2010 - August 2013, so do not meet the requirements of being a resident 3 of the last 5 years.

I am now worried that SUSI may only cover the student contribution part, leaving me to find a way to cover the tuition fees. My course has just started and still waiting to hear back from SUSI so getting anxious

Where were you living because if you were living in the EEA or Switzerland then you may be able to get SUSI to pay a fee grant.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Where were you living because if you were living in the EEA or Switzerland then you may be able to get SUSI to pay a fee grant.

No, unfortunately I was living outside of Europe for the entire time

Advertisement