Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

susi appeals

Options
  • 12-09-2014 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Need advice on the following
    I'm am a second year student last year I applied to SUSI and was refused on the following grounds "as per article 17(3)(b) of the student grant scheme 2014 a student who already holds a qualification at or above level 6 are ineligible to receive funding for attending a course at level 6 of the NFQ or Equivalent"
    Now here is my point back in 2000 - 2003 I completed a trainee management development program through GMIT galway, failte Ireland and breaffy house hotel. When the course was completed in 2003 it was not under any award framework only a piece of paper that was recognised by hotels but years later the cause was accepted in to the NQF award system at level 6.
    I appealed the discussion 2 times over the year and refused each time

I have applied again at beginning of the summer as I'm going in to 2nd year and again refused
    Is there any advise for what I can do.as I can't afford this years fees of 2750 euro

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

Simply NO.

As the article 17(3)(b) says.
    Layman:
    If you hold the qualification, no matter how you got the qualification, and the course you are attending leads to an award/qualification of the same level, then your are not eligible.

You must be progressing from any previous awards/qualification.

You will not be eligible until you are entering a course at Level 7 or higher.
    Also you would only be eligible for 2 years at level 7 as the maximum period of study for level 6 and 7 combined is 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

If you want yo keep appealing you could possibly appeal to the ombudsman

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

The Ombudsman is for appeals where a student feels they have been treated unfairly by the authority.
    If a person has a qualification and they attend a course of the same level, that's not unfair, they may be eligible for a grant if they are progressing.

The point of the system is to ensure student continue to educate themselves but not to stay in education forever.

There is a process for appealing to the Ombudsman:

Appeal to SUSI
    Appeal to the Student Grants Appeal Board
    Appeal to the Ombudsman.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 djsimpsondoh

Sup08 wrote: »
    The Ombudsman is for appeals where a student feels they have been treated unfairly by the authority.
    If a person has a qualification and they attend a course of the same level, that's not unfair, they may be eligible for a grant if they are progressing.

The point of the system is to ensure student continue to educate themselves but not to stay in education forever.

There is a process for appealing to the Ombudsman:

Appeal to SUSI
    Appeal to the Student Grants Appeal Board
    Appeal to the Ombudsman.

But when I did the course in 2000 2003 it was not a nqf lv6 or part of any national qualification framework and was only accepted by failte Ireland and the Irish hotel federation. It was not even a full time course and was not even considered for grant approval as it didn't come under they guidelines
    But if I had dropped out of the course back then I'd now get the grant..
    We live in a messed up system if you fail and waste people's time you get rewarded but if you do your best you get punished..
    Moral of the story here is tell SUSI nothing fill them up with ****..

• Registered Users Posts: 11 djsimpsondoh

But when I did the course in 2000 2003 it was not a nqf lv6 or part of any national qualification framework and was only accepted by failte Ireland and the Irish hotel federation. It was not even a full time course and was not even considered for grant approval as it didn't come under they guidelines
    But if I had dropped out of the course back then I'd now get the grant..
    We live in a messed up system if you fail and waste people's time you get rewarded but if you do your best you get punished..
    Moral of the story here is tell SUSI nothing fill them up with ****..
    My course does progress to 1 year level 7. And 1 year level 8 so that's progression..

• Advertisement

NFQ website

"On 6 November 2012, the National Qualifications Authority of Ireland completed its amalgamation with HETAC, FETAC and the IUQB and a new integrated agency, Quality and Qualifications Ireland (QQI), was established. FETAC, HETAC and the NQAI are now dissolved."

All qualifications attained prior to the setting up of the NFQ were assigned an equivalent NFQ level, as some older certificate/diplomas needed to assigned a level were there was none before. This also applies to people that have had certificates/diplomas and degrees from other countries. Most Degrees, Post Grad Diplomas, Phd etc. prior to the NFQ are all pretty much the same but foreign certifcates/diplomas and degrees are still assigned an equivalent NFQ.

For instance, when an electrician qualifies after their apprenticeship and they get their certificate, this is assigned a qualification on the NQF of higher certificate level 6 and therefore an electrician would have to enter Higher Education at Level 7 or Higher. An apprentice electrician would not have been on an approved course or received any grant funding.

Were a course is not approved but a student is awarded an hons degree, for instance from Griffith College (private college), it's still a hons degree on the NFQ and you cannot apply for grant funding to do another hons degree in UCD or TCD (public colleges). Irrespective if you received funding for the previous course and/if the course was part-time.
    My course does progress to 1 year level 7. And 1 year level 8 so that's progression..

Your course may progress to Level 7 and then onto Level 8, but you only become eligible when you are entering the level 7 or Level 8 part of the course.

I hope this helps you with your decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭kissmequick

Golly that's very tough. Diddly Courses that a person has done years ago could be now on the NFQ so? Wowsers. Well I suppose it's one way of keeping people from trying to get into College.

Advertisement