Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part time job - Grant

Options
  • 30-08-2014 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm about to start college and I have been lucky enough to secure a job interview for part time work. I am not sure of how many hours I would have yet but the pay would be minimum wage. My question is would this part time job affect my grant for college?

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It shouldnt affect it this year but the income will be counted next year.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I'm assuming you are in first year so it would only have an affect on the grant in second year. You are able to earn up to a certain amount before it affects the grant. Not sure how much but the number 3000 is in my head. After that amount it starts to be taken into consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

You can earn €3809 out of term (holiday pay)
    Summer (June - August)
    Christmas 2 weeks
    Easter 1 or 2 weeks (Not 100%)

Keep all your payslips as this is the evidence you provide when claiming holiday earnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭whoopsadaisy

I'm assuming you are in first year so it would only have an affect on the grant in second year. You are able to earn up to a certain amount before it affects the grant. Not sure how much but the number 3000 is in my head. After that amount it starts to be taken into consideration.
    Sup08 wrote: »
    You can earn €3809 out of term (holiday pay)
    Summer (June - August)
    Christmas 2 weeks
    Easter 1 or 2 weeks (Not 100%)

Keep all your payslips as this is the evidence you provide when claiming holiday earnings.

Hey, where are you guys getting your info from? I need a bit more light shed on this topic :o

As far as I was aware from filling in the SUSI this year, that your own part-time income gets lumped in with your parents income (if you're living at home) and the total income in the house is what determines if you're eligible for grant/how much you're eligible for.

So is that the case, or can your own part-time income limit your eligibility for a grant if you go above a certain threshold? (Like the 3000/3809 you's are quoting)

Student Grant Scheme 2014 here

"Holiday Earnings
    2. Holiday Earnings:
    A deduction of up to a maximum amount of €3,809 may be applied to student
    earnings outside of term time but within the reference period."
    As far as I was aware from filling in the SUSI this year, that your own part-time income gets lumped in with your parents income (if you're living at home) and the total income in the house is what determines if you're eligible for grant/how much you're eligible for.

Yes, all reckonable income for the applicant and parents of the household are totalled, but you can get a deduction of up to €3809 from the income of the applicant only from earnings outside of term time.

**The student's earnings must from the previous year (the reckonable year) in which they were attending education, including secondary school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 queenie154

"Holiday Earnings
    2. Holiday Earnings:
    What is the reference period?

Yes, all reckonable income for the applicant and parents of the household are totalled, but you can get a deduction of up to €3809 from the income of the applicant only from earnings outside of term time.

**The student's earnings must from the previous year (the reckonable year) in which they were attending education, including secondary school.[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 40 queenie154

"Holiday Earnings
    2. Holiday Earnings:

**The student's earnings must from the previous year (the reckonable year) in which they were attending education, including secondary school.[/quote]

queenie154 wrote: »

The reference period is the year before the year of entry to college.

Advertisement