Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dodgy Mechanic?

Options
  • 02-07-2014 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I just recently dropped my car into the garage because it had a check engine light with nothing else seemingly being wrong with it.

When i collected the car the check engine light was on but a very loud noise was coming from the exhaust which was not there before i dropped it into the garage.

The noise was so bad i had to bring the car back to the garage only for them to say that there was holes in my exhaust and it needs replacing.

Is this a known scam or is it just coincidental??

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Sounds odd alright, what did they say about the check engine light....seems odd that it went in for that light being on, and it was collected without resolution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

Most garages don't do exhausts, unless its one of the big chains that do tyres exhausts and repairs.

I be more concerned with what the out come of the check engine light was.

The exhaust might have been old and hole opened up while they had it.
    Ask the garage what happened to the exhaust it might have broke due to age and rust.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mufc77

check engine light was for catalytic converter

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Sounds to me like they just decided to punch holes in the CAT.
    I'd take it to another garage and ask them to look at the holes and see what sort of "holes" garage 1 is mentioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Modified-IRL

Coincidental...

I think too many people have gone to the wrong place to get there car maintained that gives mechanics a bad name :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement