Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your favourite film scene?

Options
  • 20-06-2015 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭

As the title says, do you have a favourite film scene and if so, what is it and why?

I tend to sway on my opinion but I'm really fond of the final scene in The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. The way the suspense and tension builds, with the music creeping up behind as the camera pans around the stand-off. Magic.

My other, which I could only get a part-video of, is the entire restaurant/dance scene from Pulp Fiction. I just love the whole set up of the diner, following the characters around to the booth and then the eventual dance of. The colour, music and just general feel of the whole thing is wonderful!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭shazzerman

The ball sequence from The Magnificent Ambersons is my favourite scene in cinema.
    Some runners up would be:
    The montage that ends Three Colours Blue
    The first chase sequence in Terminator 2
    The pickpockets teaching Michel their trade in Pickpocket
    The arrival of Kong, King Kong (1933)
    Rupert Pupkin holding up the cards while Jerry Langford tries to read them...The King of Comedy
    "This is this. This isn't something else, Stanley. This is this." The Deer Hunter
    "I just want to enter my house justified." The last scene of Ride the High Country
    The "family dinner" in The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
    The "A Shine on Your Shoes" sequence in The Band Wagon
    Redmond Barry and Lady Lyndon at the card table, Barry Lyndon
    The ball scene in The Leopard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

MagicIRL wrote: »
    I tend to sway on my opinion but I'm really fond of the final scene in The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. The way the suspense and tension builds, with the music creeping up behind as the camera pans around the stand-off. Magic.

This thread could be a whole heap of opening and closing sequences. Once Upon a Time in the West has another great Sergio Leone long build up shoot out right at the beginning. There are three gunmen hanging about waiting for a train to arrive and the tension just builds and builds with some great atmospheric sound effects.

I love the opening of Werner Herzog's Aguirre: Wrath of God with the Conquistadors winding their way down the side of a huge mountain in the Andes trying to drag all their horses and cannons with them.

The scene with Blake (Alec Baldwin) from Head Office in Glengarry Glen Ross is great. "ABC! A Always, B Be, C Closing. Always Be Closing!"

The scene at the end of The Godfather Part I where Kay is ushered out of the room and the door is closed as she realises that Michael, despite his assurances, is definitely running the family business with an iron fist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The opening of Blade Runner is just magnificent - sound and vision from post industrial Hades.

The car chase in The Seven Ups is the best of its kind so have to throw that in.

Chimes at Mightnight - the battle scene (Bosworth in all but name). 10 minutes that perfectly catches the horror of mediaeval conflict with a tiny budget no obstacle.

Its a brilliant film and the other stand-out scene is as Prince Hal betrays Falstaff. Proper old school "actorly" acting of a type that you just don't see/hear any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

The ending of gangs of New York showing the rise of the city, closely followed by Mark Whalberg asking Leonardo DiCaprio if he had a different accent for the weekend in The Departed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

Good will hunting.

Where Damon & Williams are sitting in a park on a bench.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

Love the scene in where Christopher Walken turns up at Dennis Hopper's place looking for information on the whereabouts of Hopper's son is (Christian Slater).

Hopper gives Walken the monologue about the origin of Sicilians - Hilarious but very very dark.

Amazing scene from one of the greatest movies I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

the diner scene in pulp fiction

where julee and vincent are talking about Jules' Future of walking the earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

This technically is only part of the scene(s) I love, as it's missing the part beforehand where Hackman and Travoltas characters get ready for the arrival of the two gangsters but I love this:

and also the build-up in this:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

where the complete scummer / psycho Eric Deed is shot by the barman in "The Drop".

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

First thing that popped into my head was the shootout in the rain scene from Road to Perdition. Quality film - great use of sound and score. I don't know if it's my favourite but it just jumped in there which is a decent sign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Has to be the opening scene to T2. What an epic opening to a movie that you knew was going to kick ass!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Ronin car chase. Best ever!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,076 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The final scene in the bowling alley in there will be blood. A half hour of one continuous shot with two actors going hammer and thongs. Unforgettable.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

First thing that popped into my head was the shootout in the rain scene from Road to Perdition. Quality film - great use of sound and score. I don't know if it's my favourite but it just jumped in there which is a decent sign.

Thats actually the first thing that came into my head too. Love that scene.

Hard to pick just one for me, I have to say the Kitchen fight in The Raid 2 is prob the most entertaining 7/10 minutes of footage i've seen in recent years. Even if the rest the rest of the film was shocking that would make it worth the price of admission.

Borat deserves a mention too, i had an actual pain from laughing at the "running of the jew". I think i actually missed the next 10 minutes of the film because i would burst out laughing just thinking about it.

For me though its Any given sunday. There are a handful of scenes in the film that are brilliant in that OTT oliver Stone kind of a way. James Woods and Al Pacinos argument being one but its definitely the speech towards the end for me. I challenge anyone not to watch that scene and get pumped up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

johnny b goode scene in 'back to the future'. or the final saloon bit 'unforgiven'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Has to be the opening scene to T2. What an epic opening to a movie that you knew was going to kick ass!

Why didnt somebody just make a whole film of just this sequence of fighting . robots vrs humans . instead of making it so complicated .

great scene

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Andy's escape from Shawshank prison :D

1002120_627011197317750_219377504_n.jpg

Heat, 2 enemies having coffee where they find a middle ground.

and lastly I think most people will know this one and if you don't shame on you :D

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

John McClane jumps off a skyscraper tied to a fire hose

Thornton vs Danaher

Helm's Deep

The lost boys feast in Hook (best movie meal ever!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The restaurant scene in Playtime.

Now, it's obvious that the sequence works as well as it does because of its context in the entire film, following the expertly realised, unrushed opening half and the relatively brief closing act with its giddy explosion of joy, energy and colour.

But the restaurant scene is a virtuosic feat of filmmaking and, maybe most importantly, comedy. It maintains its frantic pacing over the guts of forty five minutes straight, with the running gags evolving and mutating in delightful ways right through to the very end. Tati establishes and successfully follows dozens of characters and happenings, often within a single frame. It's this glorious mix of chaos and anarchy - the scene grows increasingly frantic as everything falls apart (literally), but at the same time it represents some of the most controlled reels of (70mm) film in history. Tati clearly considered deeply every single thing about it, from the props to the spatial relationships and right down to its deliriously unhinged soundtrack.

That this insanity is maintained over more than a third of the film is nothing short of miraculous. I've watched through it only twice, but both times I was absolutely mesmerised and sat there with a huge grin on my face from beginning to end (and given what follows, said grin stayed there). Playtime is one of the great 'complete' artistic statements of cinema, its creator's definitive masterpiece. And nowhere is that more evident than in that hilarious, crazy, brilliant restaurant scene.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Off the top of my head:

The A-B-C speech in Glengarry Glen Ross

The bit in Commando where Arnie straps about a hundred guns, knives, grenades and ammo clips to himself.

And most recently, the scene in SpongeBob Squarepants 2 where he decides to sacrifice his life, with Morricone's Ecstasy of Gold playing in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Great thread...

Immediately I thought of The Crow - the Death of Tin-Tin "victims, aren´t we all"

Die Hard "No **** lady, do I sound llike I´m ordering a pizza"..

The Dark Knight - The Joker meets the mob , 2I´m gonna make this pencil disappear"..

Fight Club - Let me tell you a bit about Tyler Durden.

I was a big fan of John Wick, the kill scene inside his house..

Predator... the hiding in mud scene... Just blew me away as a kid...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭MfMan

Quint's 'Indianapolis' monologue from Jaws

"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!"

Jill's arrival at the train station in 'Once Upon A Time In The West'

The climactic gunfight in 'Shane'

The Ferris wheel scene in 'The Third Man'

The scene where Szpilman climbs the hospital wall and walks down a bombed-out Warsaw street in 'The Pianist' and, later, the electrifying sequence where he plays the piano, maybe for his life, before the German captain.

The brief scene in 'Cinema Paradiso' where the adult Toto replays old cine footage of Elena with tears in his eyes;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVBHmcEpZ3M

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭KrakityJones

Has to be the chestburster scene in Alien, the pure shock of it, even knowing what was coming before watching it. Love that the actors weren't told what was going to happen in that scene before shooting either, the look of utter horror and fear is only part-acting.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭hotshots85

Love the pool hall scene in Carlitos Way, you can see it coming but no way to stop it

watch?v=25vsJNAwhGE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25vsJNAwhGE

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

The scene in Jurassic Park where you first get to see the TRex. Such tension and excitement.

The continuous scene in Children of Men. I think it was done better recently in True Detective but I remember being blown away by it first time I seen it.

The scene in The Dark Knight where Batman comes out of retirement. A real f*ck yeah moment with a great marriage of music and the visuals on screen.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I unashamedly love the dinner party scene in Notting Hill from the embarrassing gaffes made by the friends to the who gets the brownie to the "they always make that noise when I leave" bit.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

hotshots85 wrote: »
    Love the pool hall scene in Carlitos Way, you can see it coming but no way to stop it

watch?v=25vsJNAwhGE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25vsJNAwhGE
    The scene where his coked out lawyer played by sean Penn shoots the prison escapee they're supposed to rescue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

The winter battle scene where the two guys are hopelessly outnumbered but use what they have available to them to defy the odds and defeat the bad guys and emerge victorious.

Elf

Advertisement