Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spy (Paul Feig) 2015

Options
  • 04-06-2015 1:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 85,373 ✭✭✭✭

Jude Law as Bond, Jason Statham as Bourne and Melissa McCarthy as Sydney Bristow/Agent 99 :p

Went into this with low expectations as McCarthy plays the same role every film but was surprised some good laughs especially from Statham, he should do more comedy roles, McCarthy was channelling Dawn French from her Vicar of Dibley days, felt she seemed more tamer in this than her previous films

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭stesaurus

I really dislike McCarthy but it's hard to ignore that this is getting good reviews

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

The thought of a movie openly tear apart Bond & Bourne sounds amazing.
    And then Melissa McCarthy...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,787 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The thought of a movie openly tear apart Bond & Bourne sounds amazing.
    And then Melissa McCarthy...
    I'm not even a Melissa McCarthy fan but she was hilarious in this!

It's a great comedic cast (bar Miranda Hart.. who finds her funny!?) but Statham steals every scene he's in - you'd forget how funny he is due to his action persona - he's really excellent in this!

Not a bad way to spend 2 hours and a lot of laughs in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,373 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Apparently Feig let McCarthy adlib a bit in this

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭jeffk

Seen it the other night with herself and had a great laugh at it. Think the kingsmen female version.

Only non funny thing was Miranda Hart, shes a dull, unless that's the idea, either way she wasn't funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Some fantastic put downs in this. Jason Statham's "One time I.... while...and..." classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Found it quote boring overall and I'm a fan of McCarthy (liked her in The Heat, Tammy etc).

Good few laughs.. but bar one or two of them, they where pretty much all in the trailer.

Some fantastic put downs in this. Jason Statham's "One time I.... while...and..." classic.
    One of my favourites:
    "The woman I loved was thrown from a plane, and hit by another plane on the way down!"

:D

Basq wrote: »
    I'm not even a Melissa McCarthy fan but she was hilarious in this!

It's a great comedic cast (bar Miranda Hart.. who finds her funny!?) but Statham steals every scene he's in - you'd forget how funny he is due to his action persona - he's really excellent in this!

Not a bad way to spend 2 hours and a lot of laughs in it.

I think that Statham is one of the most interesting actors working today. He's known as an action star but he's so much more, he started playing rather comedic characters in Guy Ritchie film and has always been one to take a few risks. Films like Blitz, Hummingbird, etc all show that he has a nice dramatic side and can hold his own. I actually think that he only does films like The Expendables for the exposure and the opportunity it offers him to work with some of his heroes. When you look at Statham's CV it's not the kind you'd associate with say Van Damme or Seagal but rather an actor who wants to try new things.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Statham was excellent in this alright. Awful Fiddy cameo though.
    "I'm going to shave you fúcking bald" was great too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Saw it today, Statham was hilarious during his scenes. Anybody notice Ben Falcone's(McCarthy's husband) cameo as the guy asking for directions while she was on the scooter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Saw this yesterday, thought it was very good.Statham reminded me of Jay from the Inbetweeners for the whole movie :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Not my favourite comedy ever but I did enjoy it. I think McCarthy was at her best as Susan Cooper rather than the crude Amber Valentine. As has been previously stated, The Stath is hilarious. I think my favourite scene was the murdery hotel;
    No, you are … times infinity

If this got a sequel I would definitely watch more. Really enjoyed Peter Serafinowic (or however you fúcking spell it) as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Meirleach

No idea why this was getting such good reviews. A lot of crude yet unfunny moments. Statham stole almost every scene he was in, but personally that wasn't enough to lift the movie above a meh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Free Hat

Pretty mediocre film all in all but enjoyable for the chemistry between McCarthy and Rose Byrne.

I didn't find Statham to be particularly funny.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Not my favourite comedy ever but I did enjoy it. I think McCarthy was at her best as Susan Cooper rather than the crude Amber Valentine. As has been previously stated, The Stath is hilarious. I think my favourite scene was the murdery hotel;
    No, you are … times infinity

If this got a sequel I would definitely watch more. Really enjoyed Peter Serafinowic (or however you fúcking spell it) as well.

Peter Serafinowicz's Aldo was funny too "you like my accent I get from Downton Abbey"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I enjoyed this more than I thought I would. I was going to give it a miss but I saw it was getting really good reviews and watched it today.

It was almost great. Feig frustrates me a lot in that he makes something funny and then just milks the joke just that smidge too much and weakens the whole thing.

McCarthy was great. Byrne did well in her role. Alison Janney is God and I will watch anything she is in. Jason Statham was hilarious, I've never seen him in a comedic role before. I could take or leave Jude Law but I'm not a big fan of him anyway. I thought Miranda Hart was miscast in this. In fact, I'm not sure there was a point to her character regardless of who was playing her.

Maybe it's been a while since I've seen an action film, even a spoof one, but I thought the fight scenes were actually pretty well choreographed and a pleasure to watch.

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Jason Statham was hilarious, I've never seen him in a comedic role before.
    Snatch?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    I enjoyed this more than I thought I would. I was going to give it a miss but I saw it was getting really good reviews and watched it today.

It was almost great. Feig frustrates me a lot in that he makes something funny and then just milks the joke just that smidge too much and weakens the whole thing.

McCarthy was great. Byrne did well in her role. Alison Janney is God and I will watch anything she is in. Jason Statham was hilarious, I've never seen him in a comedic role before. I could take or leave Jude Law but I'm not a big fan of him anyway. I thought Miranda Hart was miscast in this. In fact, I'm not sure there was a point to her character regardless of who was playing her.

Maybe it's been a while since I've seen an action film, even a spoof one, but I thought the fight scenes were actually pretty well choreographed and a pleasure to watch.

Agreed on Feig, see his cameo to futher illustrate your point (he's the guy in the dapper suit in Murdery Hotel who walks straight into his room door and knocks himself out).

I read that he created the role specifically for Miranda which is why it probably feels so laboured.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Saw this at the weekend , could not ignore all the great reviews it was getting.
    I will admit I enjoyed it but not to the level the reviews went on about it.

Worth a watch but you could wait till it gets a small screen release

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Free Hat wrote: »
    Pretty mediocre film all in all but enjoyable for the chemistry between McCarthy and Rose Byrne.

I didn't find Statham to be particularly funny.

I got to admit along with Peter Serafinowicz's pervy Italian spy
    love at the end he's a M-15 spy who was acting undercover or was he? :pac:
    . Statham was one of the high points of the film, loved him playing agaisn't his tough guy persona as a bumbling fool. For me Miranda Hart (who I never found funny) was awful and poor Bobby Cannavale totally wasted as the films main villain
    he was given like 10 minutes at most in the film
    . I thought Rose Byrne was very good as the bitchy gangster's daughter and her chemistry with McCarthy was great. Jude Law probably did this for the paycheck.

The thing that shocked me more was I found the film wasn't the greatest of comedies ( I think McCarthy's is outshone by two or three others in the comedy stakes in this one) but a pretty entertaining action flick, some of the violence was actually pretty gory
    The Man who tried to poison Byrne's, his neck falling to pieces, McCarthy breaking the leg of a hetchman and then throwing the guy of the building who then lands onto a pole were pretty out there moments
    I thought McCarthy actually came off well as a action lead in this more so then her comedy side. It's not perfect, it's a tad overlong and some of the comedy falls flat (Hart the worse offender of the lot) but its worth a watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Take Miranda Hart being herself (all she is capable of) out of this movie and it wasn't half-bad. I too was impressed with the action sequences which leaned slightly more towards a Bourne movie than Johnny English. McCarthy obviously worked enormously hard to pull it off, and it works!

Unfortunately I saw this in an almost empty cinema and the other attendees just didn't get it! I'm sure I would have enjoyed it far more if my laughter had been part of a chorus.

Statham was fantastic! A lot of his dialogue and the other rapid fire put-downs from characters would need a second viewing to really absorb them.

Overall this movie is a lot of fun, but I'd recommend going to see it at a peak time to get the most out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

sadie06 wrote: »
    Take Miranda Hart being herself (all she is capable of) out of this movie and it wasn't half-bad. I too was impressed with the action sequences which leaned slightly more towards a Bourne movie than Johnny English. McCarthy obviously worked enormously hard to pull it off, and it works!

Unfortunately I saw this in an almost empty cinema and the other attendees just didn't get it! I'm sure I would have enjoyed it far more if my laughter had been part of a chorus.

Statham was fantastic! A lot of his dialogue and the other rapid fire put-downs from characters would need a second viewing to really absorb them.

Overall this movie is a lot of fun, but I'd recommend going to see it at a peak time to get the most out of it.

The same at my screening, people reacted more to the violence then actually to the comedy. Statham got the most giggles. McCarthy is actually a good action lead (thought her best performance was in The Heat, where she pulled off the same act). I think Hart's character should have been cut (I'm amazed she's getting a Hollywood Career she just screams mid afternoon BBC comedy actress to me) and they could have taken out at least 15 minutes of film and it could have made It tighter. But Overall a very good film.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Incredably funny imho, 10/10 for laughs anyway, saw it twice and both times had me laughing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Thought Serafinowicz was the best part of the film, was hilarious, especially his bit at the end. Overall, not as good as the reviews painted it, but it's still very good. Would easily watch it again.

Miranda's character wouldn't be too bad if she wasn't put out in the field better if she stayed at the computer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

cant STAND McCarthy and only went to this for a pop corn fix.

but gotta say i loved it !

she really does come off with some great characters in this, from the sweet girly computer sidekick to my fav the "bodyguard hired by daddy". the stream of insults she leveled at yer wan had me in stitches.

very VERY pleasently surprised by it. the trailers dont do it justice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I really thought this was great, and I even went in with somewhat high expectations - but it totally met and exceeded those expectations. For the first 20 minutes I found it just about passable, but then it just accelerates and takes off completely after that point - a strange blend of outrageous comedy and action scenes that don't seem to know if they're part of the spoof or would be more at home in a Bourne film, but it just works in this movie. So well!

McCarthy is excellent, Statham plays a blinder in his supporting role, and the dynamic between McCarthy and Rose Byrne is just brilliant - very reminiscent of 'The Heat'. If you liked that movie, you'll most likely love this.

I have to say for me it was an easy 8/10 - it deserves to be seen in the cinema and it certainly deserves to do well. The last time I laughed this much at a comedy in the cinema was actually 'The Heat'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Bar the very good Bridesmaids I try to give anything McCarthy is in a very wide berth but the reviews for this are fantastic so I might have to cave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,671 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

cant STAND McCarthy and only went to this for a pop corn fix.

but gotta say i loved it !

she really does come off with some great characters in this, from the sweet girly computer sidekick to my fav the "bodyguard hired by daddy". the stream of insults she leveled at yer wan had me in stitches.

very VERY pleasently surprised by it. the trailers dont do it justice.

Just watched this now and agree totally with what you said. I do think the film could have been a little shorter do and sometimes the jokes were a little overdone but otherwise very funny and I would watch it again. The plane scene do I did think was terrible would cut that from it.
    IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Bar the very good Bridesmaids I try to give anything McCarthy is in a very wide berth but the reviews for this are fantastic so I might have to cave.

Have to disagree I thought Bridesmaids was very forced and not funny at all.

I am not a McCarthy fan either but she really did do good in this. It is Very funny.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement