Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physical copies or ebooks?

Options
  • 21-06-2013 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭

What way do you see the future going for writing? Ebooks, physical copies, audio books etc?

Ive two books out at present with The History Press ( http://www.amazon.com/Cormac-Strain/e/B005BLO6GC ) plus another coming out next month co-written with a fella called Barry Fitzgerald. Im currently working on a fourth. The first was print only, the second is e book and print and it seems that the e book is selling better than the printed version. Book shops closing down doesnt help either. The third is going to be printed, ebook and audio book.

What do you think is going to happen? Any authors on here who have books out in multiple formats? Do you see a trend in one version selling better than the other?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

The Pleasures of Winter and the Pleasures of Summer are both out in print form as well as e-book. A Touch of Winter and A Touch of Summer are available only as e-book.

There is a certain vanity element here. I love seeing my book on bookshop shelves and signing copies or seeing someone on the Dart reading my book. But looking at the numbers, it looks as if the e-books are selling much higher numbers than the print books, and there is a higher rate of royalities on them.

One aspect is that print books will eventually come off the shelves. Unless a book is selling very well, it's usually off the shelves in six weeks or so. But the e-books can stay up indefinitely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Then again many people (like me) prefer a paper copy.

Stephen King is releasing a print only copy of one of his books to try to get people back into book stores. Unfortunately it was available as a pirated copy almost immediately but the print copy is number 1 on amazon.com currently.

E-books are always going to suffer from the same issues as movie/music downloading, although it appears print only copies suffer too.

In saying the above, I do enjoy e-books but if its an author I like a lot or a book thats part of a series - I tend to buy the paper copy anyway once its on mass market release.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

Paper books will soon be the oddity. Like Eileen said, there's a vanity element attached to seeing your own book on a shelf or in someone's hand, but if you want to know where the industry is headed, follow the money.

I like paper books, but the convenience of ebooks outweighs any benefits of paper. There will always be people who prefer the physical , in the same way that there will always be people who prefer vinyl to mp3, but when it comes to sales number, these people will soon just be an afterthought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Antilles wrote: »
    I like paper books, but the convenience of ebooks outweighs any benefits of paper. There will always be people who prefer the physical , in the same way that there will always be people who prefer vinyl to mp3, but when it comes to sales number, these people will soon just be an afterthought.

While I agree with you I think paper books will become a different product, filling a niche market for the many people who are willing to pay the extra money to have something 'special'. I imagine they will be small run limited editions, possibly numbered and signed, including the electronic version and sold at readings or festivals. It is hard to see what place the traditional bookshop or even public libraries will occupy.

For most of us reading and paper books 'go together like a horse and carriage' because until recently that was the only way to read but in the same way as we adapted to the 'horseless carriage' we will see the dominance of the e-book but not the complete disappearance of the paper version.

What we shouldn't underestimate is the changes this will bring about. Some traditional publishers will adapt, some will disappear and new models will evolve. I'm not so sure where readers will fit in. We have more choice and greater convenience and hopefully lower prices but we are also restricted in how we access both fiction and non-fiction and the dominance of a few big players could be dangerous.

Antilles wrote: »
    I like paper books, but the convenience of ebooks outweighs any benefits of paper.

Just on this.

A number of books that I have read in recent weeks dont have an ebook version.

E-books tend to be more expensive than paper copies.

A paper book is far more convenient imo, I have had to stop reading e-books due to battery running out or not being in a position where I would bring an e-reader - but I would bring a paper book.

If Im reading an academic book I like to use a highlighter pen to mark passages of interest and I also make notes in margins - I know many apps allow you to take notes etc on ebooks but its not as convenient as just flicking through the paper book to see what Ive written.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

ebooks are cheaper than printed copies (well mine are anyway)

If Im reading an academic book I like to use a highlighter pen to mark passages of interest and I also make notes in margins - I know many apps allow you to take notes etc on ebooks but its not as convenient as just flicking through the paper book to see what Ive written.

It does take a little while to master highlighting and making notes on e-books but once you do it is probably easier than on paper books. You don't need a pen or highlighter and your notes can be as long as you wish. I find that I hate to 'deface' paper books but have no such worries with e-books.
    For academic books the fact that the references and footnotes are hidden makes the text easier to read and when you do want to read a footnote it isn't in such tiny print you need a magnifying glass.

The ease of updating reference books in an electronic format rather than having to print an expensive new edition for a limited market means their days of appearing on paper are probably limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Ali Isaac

Ebooks are cheaper by far...unless you don't have an ereader, of course! Even then, it would pay for itself very quickly. Ebooks are easy to access, any time of day or night, and can be bought instantly; I've never had a problem with batteries running out, etc. They make carrying hundreds of books portable, ie great when travelling. They are easy to use; I can read on my phone at night with only one hand out from beneath the quilt, turn the pages with the same hand, never lose my page, hand never aches from holding up a heavy book, etc. And you can still highlight on an ebook.

Despite all this, I still love my print copies...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

About 90% of all printed books bought in this house are for children. I don't see that changing.

I agree; same in our house. It's the best way to get kids interested in reading, I think. As they get older, however, it seems they embrace the technology of ereaders. I've seen it happen with one teen, and its beginning now with my tween.

• Advertisement

How do they have the money to buy e readers and e books? Until I was in my 20s I only ever bought secondhand books. I couldn't have afforded new books at the rate I read. There is no secondhand equivalent for e books?

A basic kindle isn't that expensive, and buying ebooks is far cheaper than actual books. You don't have to have an ereader, though; you can download ebooks to most mobile phones, or your laptop, and which self respecting teenager doesn't have a mobile phone these days, lol! My 12 year old is saving his pocket money to buy his own laptop...whilst I don't really want him to have one, I encourage his determination and the habit of saving is a good one to learn; he realises it's going to take quite a while, we'll see how long he lasts!

Yeah but the price of e books compared to physical secondhand books is vast, if you're a teenager with little income.

Even now I buy secondhand paper copies when I can.

Ah...I couldn't comment on that. The last secondhand book I bought I had to get on Amazon, I couldn't get it locally, and so it cost as much as a new book, lol!

The typical pricepoint of an ebook seems to be $2.99, which is even cheaper in euros, of course. And many, many books are completely free, including a lot of the old classics, which are now in the public domain.

If you want a current bestseller, you would pay more, but still usually less than E10.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE a print copy! But with 3 children, one with special needs, I just don't get the time to rummage around in sales, or to peruse bookshops like I used to, more's the pity! I have to admit I like the convenience of downloading a new book whenever I feel like reading, and I read mine on my android phone, so I didn't have the outlay of getting a kindle...very convenient!

Ali Isaac wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, I LOVE a print copy! But with 3 children, one with special needs, I just don't get the time to rummage around in sales, or to peruse bookshops like I used to, more's the pity! I have to admit I like the convenience of downloading a new book whenever I feel like reading, and I read mine on my android phone, so I didn't have the outlay of getting a kindle...very convenient!

Yeah, convenience is good, but mostly too pricey for me Im afraid. I often buy secondhand off amazon for under a pound plus delivery. Any e books I looked at are roughly the same price as the book new or not available at all. A lot of books I read dont have e book counterparts for example - too old or obscure I suppose.

Just for an example I checked out the book Im currently reading on Amazon (I actually bought this new which is unusual for me but I like this author a lot).
    The paper copy is £6.89
    The kindle edition is £6.55
    Other buying choices are £3.97 new from another seller.
    £3.49 used from another seller.

Thats a very recent book. The secondhand pricing on it isnt great - yet.
    Another one of his books which is very popular:
    Paperback £5.66
    Kindle £4.63
    Other new £3.44
    Other secondhand 96 pence.

So you can see why I generally feel its better value to go with the secondhand copy!

I also use my books as part of my home decor, literally every wall I have is bookcased.

Ah...I see what you mean! In your case, there is not much difference in the price...plus you have them physically displayed in your home, your own handpicked library! You certainly can't do that with a Kindle, lol! Although you can take them all with you when you travel...

Ali Isaac wrote: »
    Ah...I see what you mean! In your case, there is not much difference in the price...plus you have them physically displayed in your home, your own handpicked library! You certainly can't do that with a Kindle, lol! Although you can take them all with you when you travel...

I havent actually been on a holiday yet with an e reader (I got an ipad last year) but I do look forward to the convenience of not having to bring lots of heavy books. I suppose I mix and match but I cant see myself ever moving fully away from the printed book. Not until the e books become considerably cheaper anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I prefer real books. Just had one delivered there today and 2 more on the way.
    I did read eileen's on my ipod though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

bluewolf wrote: »
    I did read eileen's on my ipod though :pac:

I love you!

Now I want to read Eileens!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

eBooks for me.

I already have too many hobbies and too much stuff in the apartment. We have one small bookcase which is full of reference books, a few DVDs which were mostly gifts and PS3 games.

I do prefer the physical books for non-linear reading in reference books, so many ebooks have poorly laid out Tables of Contents and it's just a pain to 'flick' through and find what you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭ThePinkCage

When I brought out my book a couple of years ago (which also happens to be called The Pink Cage), I was surprised to discover that people expected to be able to buy it in a bookshop and didn't really entertain online options, either ebooks or paper copies from Amazon.

In media circles, the impression is being given that ebooks rule the world. I think they're certainly getting there, but they're not there yet. I envisage a situation where numbers of ebooks and printed books balance out, with a 50/50 split between the two. People will still want the feel of paper in their hands.

The point made about ebook pricing is interesting. It can probably be attributed to the fact that these are new books - anything desirable still requires an investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Personally, I've zero interest in e-book novels. To me, it's similar to watching a movie in a cinema which takes your entire attention vs. having hundreds of channels and flicking between them. A physical book is more of an experience, vs an e-reader which make the 'book' just a commodity - even though the written words are the same.

I might buy technical books e-books, but never fiction (at least, not as long as I have an option).

The point made about ebook pricing is interesting. It can probably be attributed to the fact that these are new books - anything desirable still requires an investment.

E-books, like everything else, are priced at what buyers will pay, and at the moment that is about the same or slightly less than a paperback. It bears no relation to the actual costs, which are considerably less than for paper books. Sellers know that most of us will pay €10+ for a book we want and less for one we have only a passing interest in.
    It started off with e-books being more expensive as buyers paid extra for the convenience and for the prestige of having something new and rare. When the novelty wears off, which is the stage of the market for these products we are getting to now, prices should drop. One problem for buyers is a lack of competition. At the moment the competition comes from paper books, both new and secondhand, rather than other e-book suppliers so there is no reason to drop e-book prices below what prevails in the market for paper books.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Im finding at present that ebooks are outselling printed copies (for my own ones). Then again, mine are only in Easons and a few regional bookshops compared to all over the place online as e-books so thats probably why that is.
    When I brought out my book a couple of years ago (which also happens to be called The Pink Cage), I was surprised to discover that people expected to be able to buy it in a bookshop and didn't really entertain online options, either ebooks or paper copies from Amazon.

In media circles, the impression is being given that ebooks rule the world. I think they're certainly getting there, but they're not there yet. I envisage a situation where numbers of ebooks and printed books balance out, with a 50/50 split between the two. People will still want the feel of paper in their hands.

I had this experience, too. People who read e-books are still a minority. I think, when I first started writing my book, only 1% of readers used e-readers, now I believe its up to around 30%, in US, at least. Unfortunately, its expensive for Indie writers to produce print copies, and POD is not as flexible, or as cost effective as it's made out to be.

Advertisement