Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland prison service (now recruiting))

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

I've heard this myself do you know if they're gonna take on more cpos mate, we applied for the role and they only took on pcos even though a lot of us scored high in merit and didn't get a Job out of it because we thought there were legit CPO positions available, the whole process has been dire. We're still waiting on word too.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭1967J

Have sent you a pm

I tried to contact them today and it says welcome to Cisco extension service? All the numbers say this when I ring, what is going on??

• Registered Users Posts: 45 BIGD85

I called today and was told the exact same thing I was told 3 weeks ago....."call back in a few weeks time"

BIGD85 wrote: »
    I called today and was told the exact same thing I was told 3 weeks ago....."call back in a few weeks time"

Seriously? They've been saying that from about April, forwarded onto senior management call back in a while, Lmao its a joke don't get me wrong I want the job real bad, but this is really badly ran and organised.

• Advertisement

It's been a shambles buddy, but yeah, they told me the whole senior management thing today aswell.

BIGD85 wrote: »
    It's been a shambles buddy, but yeah, they told me the whole senior management thing today aswell.

I just don't understand it, I'm assuming they are taking on CPO's as so many have left, and the fact this hasn't been addressed by the powers that be yet, I just think we would've had a letter in the mail saying the list has expired, wishful thinking, with this waiting we should deserve a job out of it lol, total shambles as you say mate.

Anybody more news, I heard some prison officer trainers are being retrained as we speak by a family member whether thats for new recruits I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭craydon

No haven't heard a thing! It would even be nice (and professional) to receive some correspondence to let us know we have been unsuccessful and that the merit list no longer applies! Until then we can only hold onto hope that they may be extending it!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Weestones

craydon wrote: »
    No haven't heard a thing! It would even be nice (and professional) to receive some correspondence to let us know we have been unsuccessful and that the merit list no longer applies! Until then we can only hold onto hope that they may be extending it!

For anyone that has applied for the CPO role, they won't be getting employed so I wouldn't hold your breathe folks! They have extended the merit list, but only for 2 months extra, that's the most they can extend it! Prisons are majorly understaffed atm, and in shocking state!
    They are looking at more CPO's but they will be looking to transfer PCO's over, and possibly hire another 20 PCO's!

• Advertisement

Weestones wrote: »
    For anyone that has applied for the CPO role, they won't be getting employed so I wouldn't hold your breathe folks! They have extended the merit list, but only for 2 months extra, that's the most they can extend it! Prisons are majorly understaffed atm, and in shocking state!
    They are looking at more CPO's but they will be looking to transfer PCO's over, and possibly hire another 20 PCO's!

I spoke to a lady in charge of recruitment after a furious email was sent, a good few months ago, who said they would be working down the merit list again as a lot of those who scored in the top percentile only ticked cpo, and they legally have to go down it again, and she said the cpo training is different to pco training as pcos would have to be retrained, she assured me that cpos would be recruited from the list as people who ticked pco position would not be able to transfer over so soon, again this is what I was told, I explained to her my concerns as I scored high in the merit list and was pretty irate at the process with others scoring lower and being in employment, I can't remember what it's called but there's a legal term for what was done and if they did start recruiting and none were taking from the cpo only position and had scored high in the merit then they would be falsifying what was explained. And could face legal action from those that blindly handicapped themselves, and they've reassured me twice that this won't be the case. I don't believe them mind you.

I know you got in stones, and if that is gonna be happening with transfers because what I said above is what I was told and I do take it with a pinch of salt, but when candidates score high, like top 50 and only ticked cpo, but someone 100 or so ticked both and is currently in employment as a pco now has an opportunity at cpo even though they scored lower in merit, that's pretty messed up. They should've notified everyone from the start what the craic was rather than offering 2 jobs for one merit list and have everyone all over the show. it's like those that ticked cpo only have been forgotten about even though most of us are in the top 100 here, and as I said blindly significantly handicapped ourselves. By the way stones not getting at you mate this is me just venting hoping someone from the service sees this lol.

Anyone phoned the recruitment team lately?

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/besieged-maghaberry-warders-warn-they-are-close-to-losing-control-30552209.html

Some more news articles I was reading in the telegraph found it online for anyone interested, sounds like everything has gone to pot don't know what impact this has on recruitment, I hope it gets some form of momentum.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

On deeper reflection of the situation, even if I was offered the job tomorrow I would decline. From the information ive seen heard lately I think it would be silly to accept. Aside from the fact that the wage is horribly low (no offence to anyone who accepts or has done, it should be much higher. nips clearly took advantage of a weak job market , and from what ive heard it will take longer than expected to make the grade) it appears that the organisation has no particular desire to keep the officers safe. If any one can correct me on that feel free (I hope they can) but I think the organisation is in turmoil and whatever plans they had to remodel have been an absolute failure.

Yeah it's not as appealing as it once was for some and I can see why others wouldn't want to go for it now and I can't say I blame them, I dunno why though it doesn't deter me for some reason probably because I hate the job I'm in with a passion. I just want a job that gives me a sense of pride in what I do for a living, all the guys and girls within the prison service all I can say is fair play and they have my admiration for going through with what they do as I know it can't be nice at this moment in time, like I said before it doesn't deter me I still will take it of they offer me a position. Just need them to do just that as we're still waiting on something happening, can't believe its been over a year since we received our letters it's been such a diablolical process, still want the job as much as I did then, just sucks that getting a high merit placing in this country means jack all.

Yeah mate I agree with you, fair play to them, they deserve better though.
    PSNI is the better route i my opinion. If im honest, I would be going for the cops even if I had that job so it would never be a long term thing.

Hi folks just wanted to post this on the thread, I know this process seems to be dead in the water and with the DOJ being stripped of all budgets, I would say that possible recruitment from this campaign or even future recruitment campaigns are probable wishful thinking.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/staffing-crisis-in-ulster-jails-could-lead-to-prisoners-wresting-control-dup-30627748.html

Seen this today and I don't know why the hell we haven't been given a shout if this is the case, surely if it was down to budgets you could argue to replace those that have left with our good selves. I firmly believe with these cuts that are happening within Mr Ford's department we could be facing serious situations within our jails and on the streets. Anyway just wanted to post the link for anyone such as myself still interested in developments, though it is most definitely dead in the water as we speak.

http://www.niassembly.gov.uk/Assembly-Business/Official-Report/Committee-Minutes-of-Evidence/Session-2014-2015/October-2014/Prisons-Issues--Prison-Officers-Association/

New report saying of the staffing crisis and need for recruitment all I can is wtf? Has anybody heard anything official in terms of a letter in the mail or anything? I'm assuming probably not as nobody has posted anything, hope everyone is doing well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ZeGerman

Well that's that then, merit list is closed. I'd totally forgotten about it tbh.

ZeGerman wrote: »
    Well that's that then, merit list is closed. I'd totally forgotten about it tbh.

Take it letters went out mate? I've moved house since, either went to my old address even though I've redirected my mail or it will come Monday, was a shambolic process anyway. Pretty certain closing the list means a new campaign will open, probably for pco position. Couldn't care mind you.

I dunno if someone could pm me that's in already or even respond on this thread, I'm just wondering I've heard that only 30 or so are transferring over from pco to cpo? Just thinking despite being ran around like a tube, I would probably apply again, but a limited number, if that's 30 recruited then I'm thinking that's not a lot, to which I may just say sod it. Any info would be great.

Can I ask did anybody reapply or apply for the campaign that opened up there?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ZeGerman

Didn't bother, the money wasn't much better than my regular job and then there was travel to think of.

Yeah I was thinking myself is it worth the money, I'm in a similar position to yourself, wouldnt be financially better off, but would be something different I suppose, don't think as many have applied this time around as did before, as all the testing apparently is to be done in one day, whether I head to it I dunno just mulling things over In my head, patiently waiting on sometching else haha :D

is the recruitment still open?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭waulie_palnuts

The NIPS are sadly back in the sweater....

Has anybody been to their test or awaiting to do their test?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Joe789

Had interview. Anyone else for this campaign?

Advertisement