Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland prison service (now recruiting))

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭grad10

Hi triple-M,
    Yeah been waiting for it to come out for a while. Although struggling with the question 'Do you hold a current clean driving licence' as I have 3 penalty ponts?!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭elvis99

Are those living in the Republic eligible to apply?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

elvis99 wrote: »

yep sure are as ireland is an eea country which makes us eligible to apply

grad10 wrote: »
    Hi triple-M,
    Yeah been waiting for it to come out for a while. Although struggling with the question 'Do you hold a current clean driving licence' as I have 3 penalty ponts?!

im not sure about that one,I dont see it being too much of an issue but i-d ring up and ask just to be sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Unsure if they have a UK residency requirement in the same way as those hoping to join the UK Police ( other than PSNI ) have come a cropper on. Check that out first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Munsterlad2012

Anyone down south applying?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Corruptable

Funny enough I was having a look at it, not sure if I'm in a position for it right now, so I'm haven't reached a decision to apply yet.

It sounds promising though for those who are in a position to go for it, I predict that there will be a lot of competition coming from the south for the 200 places given the state of the economy and zero prospect of public sector employment down here at the moment.

Funny enough I was having a look at it, not sure if I'm in a position for it right now, so I'm haven't reached a decision to apply yet.

It sounds promising though for those who are in a position to go for it, I predict that there will be a lot of competition coming from the south for the 200 places given the state of the economy and zero prospect of public sector employment down here at the moment.
    Ah it will cost nothing to throw in an application. I posted mine yesterday.

Was reading old threads from 2008 where it talks about the prison officers carrying a firearm off duty, I don't know how I'd feel with that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

It's a different kettle of fish up north lads. I've worked closely enough with them over the last 2 years. Good bunch of lads. Would still be predominantly Protestant as they haven't had a 50/50 recruitment rule unlike the PSNI and I'm not aware of too many lads from the south. I found anyone I dealt with to be spot on.
    The political's make it a different game and you are issued a gun because 29 Prison Officers were killed during the troubles. Remember that unlike the police you will only be dealing with the bad people and that you will be a fen**n bastard to one half and a free state traitor to the other half.
    Not trying to put you off or anything, just giving you the truth. Best of luck to all who apply. icon7.gif

• Advertisement

Rawhead wrote: »
    It's a different kettle of fish up north lads. I've worked closely enough with them over the last 2 years. Good bunch of lads. Would still be predominantly Protestant as they haven't had a 50/50 recruitment rule unlike the PSNI and I'm not aware of too many lads from the south. I found anyone I dealt with to be spot on.
    The political's make it a different game and you are issued a gun because 29 Prison Officers were killed during the troubles. Remember that unlike the police you will only be dealing with the bad people and that you will be a fen**n bastard to one half and a free state traitor to the other half.
    Not trying to put you off or anything, just giving you the truth. Best of luck to all who apply. icon7.gif
    I wonder are you safe enough when you have the support and backing of those you work with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭grad10

triple-M wrote: »
    im not sure about that one,I dont see it being too much of an issue but i-d ring up and ask just to be sure

Rang this morning, apparently you tick 'Yes' to having a clean driving licence.. and then declare the points on the next page. Other than that probably the most straightforward application I've ever seen!!

grad10 wrote: »

Rang this morning, apparently you tick 'Yes' to having a clean driving licence.. and then declare the points on the next page. Other than that probably the most straightforward application I've ever seen!!
    You from down south too pal?

application sent yesterday evening,I wonder if the recruitment process will be in anyway similar to the process for the psni which I found pretty good,(Im from south aswell)

Anyone know if they are 12 or 8 hour shifts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

People may want to look at the current escalating problems with republican prisoners in the norths jails, this is only going to get worse and the inevitable conclusion will be violence imo, and prison officers got targeted before.

Much more risk involved with being a prison officer up north, wouldn't do it myself, just make sure you know what you are getting into!

does anyone know what way it works regarding loyalist and republican prisoners,I assume that theyre kept seperate from eachother,do they have seperate wings in the prison for them and do they ever mingle the two sides?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

does anyone know what way it works regarding loyalist and republican prisoners,I assume that theyre kept seperate from eachother,do they have seperate wings in the prison for them and do they ever mingle the two sides?

I know that republicans are on a separate wing in Maghaberry, Roe House I think its called. They are also currently on various types of protest, most are on full out dirty protest with beards and everything others just no wash.

They all refuse strip searches so that leads to regular clashes. It's no exaggeration to say its like the h-blocks in there, hellish. Raymond McCarthy went to see and he'd know.

Its also the number one source of propaganda dissident republicans have too, they point at the situation in the prisons as evidence that things haven't changed, SF led people up the garden path etc.

Dunno why they don't just treat them like they do in the south, unionist intransigence I guess.

In all honesty I can only see this escalating so keep it in mind lads when applying, not trying to scare people off just making people aware.

Anyone know of pre aptitude test courses like the ones that are held in the republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Buzz35

The salary is a bit dissapointing.

• Advertisement

Buzz35 wrote: »
    The salary is a bit dissapointing.
    I wonder is that basic, before over time and allowances. Such as shift allowance, night shift allowance etc

I assume ya don't need a National Insurance number to apply? or am I mistaken?

I assume ya don't need a National Insurance number to apply? or am I mistaken?
    If u are down south it is your PPS number

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

It says on the website that the shifts are being reviewed, so it might not be the same as it is now. As for the wages, Id say that includes all allowances, but not overtime. Dont think the chances of overtime are as high as they are in the PSNI, which is understaffed for what they are facing on the streets, the NI prison service is overstaffed and they are trying to pay off more than they are recruiting.

Goonerdee wrote: »
    It says on the website that the shifts are being reviewed, so it might not be the same as it is now. As for the wages, Id say that includes all allowances, but not overtime. Dont think the chances of overtime are as high as they are in the PSNI, which is understaffed for what they are facing on the streets, the NI prison service is overstaffed and they are trying to pay off more than they are recruiting.
    Do u reckon it would still be a good move

But would a PPS number not be irrelevant up North? I would have thought National Insurance number would be applicable to those who actually have one.

If you want to join the prison service then don't miss this opportunity, it has been 20 years since the last recruitment campaign. It isn't that big a wage for some of the crap you will have to put up with, for me the wages are the same as I get now for an ordinary job. It will most likely be a life changing job. I want to join the PSNI, but, it is possible, they might not need a recruitment campaign for years, maybe even twenty like the NIPS. I reckon the prison service will be as interesting and satisfying a job as the police, you still have to deal with those who struggle to cope, or to fit in, and make them better people.

I am seriously considering giving it a go, if I fail, I fail. But this I know! I would regret not even trying for it.

But would a PPS number not be irrelevant up North? I would have thought National Insurance number would be applicable to those who actually have one.
    It would be irrelevant but if u get the job u will be issued with a uk one

I think there are numbers on the website you can call to help, they might know. Personally I don't think you write anything in. If you havent got a NI number you will be issued with an emergency one, then a permanent one after that. Best to phone and find out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Buzz35

Anyone know what the training schedule is? It there a residential period etc?

Advertisement