Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vfg cleaning felts

Options
  • 04-10-2015 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone is using these for cleaning their rifle? It looks like a good system to use. Does anywhere stock this or is it online only

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Luckysasha wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone is using these for cleaning their rifle? It looks like a good system to use. Does anywhere stock this or is it online only

I haven't seen them in stock anywhere, but that kind of stuff I tend to buy online anyway. I usually buy from Intershoot up north.

They're great. Way better than a regular jag and patches. I used to find that patches weren't sufficiently symmetrical and they'd leave bits of the barrel untouched. So I'd end up using more to get it all clean. With the vfg felts it's dead simple to make sure you're getting an even clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

That what I was thinking about using patches your bound to miss bits along the length of the barrel. Do you use a bore guide with the felts ?

That what I was thinking about using patches your bound to miss bits along the length of the barrel. Do you use a bore guide with the felts ?

Always!

Felts, patches, brushes. No matter what I'm using, I use a bore guide. It's too easy for dirt and/or cleaning fluid to get into your trigger mechanism otherwise.

So I need
    Bulk bag of felts
    Vlg adaptor
    Bore guide
    And I need some kind of a cleaning rod. Bit confusing on the intershoot site about which rod matches up with the vlg adaptor.
    Are the felts presoaked or do you spray a cleaner up the barrel first?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,477 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

The felts can be used dry or you can dip them in solvent and then use them.

VFG also make 'intensive' pellets that have bronze fibres embedded in them for a deeper clean.

If you're buying a rod, buy a one piece rod rather than one that comes in sections you screw together.

I think I remember you saying you have a CZ455, just be wary that the ejector in the CZ stands up into the barrel axis so it will scratch the **** out of your rod even if you're using a bore guide. What I do is lay a patch over the ejector through the ejection port, then insert the bore guide over it to hold it in place. The rod will still rub off it but the patch will protect the rod.

• Advertisement

Thanks Strider. Yes it's the 455 I have. Don't suppose if you get a chance you could put up a picture of the set up your talking about. This really is uncharted waters for me and I would like to be sure that what I'm doing is right. I have only fired about 20 rounds since I got it so before I get in to shooting large quantities I want to be clear on the maintenance side

• Registered Users Posts: 14,477 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

This is a good photo: http://i.imgur.com/cqVhubV.jpg

The bottom gun is 452 but you can see the ejector more clearly, it's the red circled part, the 455 above has the same thing but they moved it towards the rear a bit. If you just lay a patch over that, hold it in place with your finger and slide the bore guide over it then it should hold it in place for you.

You probably won't be able to fit brushes etc. through the bore guide so you'll have to put the rod through it then add the brush or felt+adaptor then slide the bore guide into place until it locks in the gun. You'll have to make sure the patch I mentioned stays in place as you do that.

Just checked and VFG felt will go through my own bore guide made by Possum Hollow so you might not have to remove your own bore guide every time you want to change felt. May depend on what bore guide you're using.

Brilliant Strider thank you.

And I need some kind of a cleaning rod. Bit confusing on the intershoot site about which rod matches up with the vlg adaptor.

There are different vfg adaptors for different rods. If you look carefully there's a drop-down menu on the adaptor entry on the Intershoot site. Pick the one that matches your rod.
    Are the felts presoaked or do you spray a cleaner up the barrel first?

The felts are dry, you need some sort of solvent. I drop some onto the felt before pushing it through. In fact, my cleaning routine is pretty similar to this: http://www.bleiker.ch/fileadmin/user_upload/Reinigung_KK_E.jpg

Thanks for that Conor. That picture guide is a big help

• Advertisement
Advertisement