Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

457 and immigrants the whirlpool perspective

Options
  • 29-09-2015 7:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭

Not sure if many on here are aware of Whirlpool but its the Australian version of this forum. Except just terrible, not even close to as good as Boards!

Anyway.. Found this thread on it and have been watching it develop. Bit my tongue a few times. Pretty interesting read of the whirlpool Australian community perspective on immigration in general in Australia.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2436559

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

No big surprise really, I've met plenty of Aussie's who confuse WHV and student visa's for 457s.

The poster John.T gives a very fair assessment four pages in of how different companies use 457.

A work colleague went on a rant about 457s lowering wages, he was very quiet after I explained to him I was a 457 and on more than him.

I can understand a lot of aussie's think Irish and UK still come over without restrictions like their parents did and think 457s is just for asians.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bestleftfull3

some amount of crap and un-educated people posting on that site!

That's the reason why the majority of us are here working on 457s in their country because there not educated enough to work in certain jobs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Came over on a 457 myself but I can sometimes sympathise with the general view point that some companies abuse and rort the system regarding 457 visa's especially in a number of industries like IT. I know first hand of subcontractors bringing over IT workers from India to work in one of the big 4 banks. They pay below market rate and will work all the hours given as to them, well its the jackpot as their families are at home and they are earning x4/x5 times more then they would have in India. Fair play to them I say but I can also understand why people get pissed off with this. It is the way the world is going though, so its going to be come more commonplace. Lesson in this. Have a skill that's in demand and pays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

jank wrote: »
    Came over on a 457 myself but I can sometimes sympathise with the general view point that some companies abuse and rort the system regarding 457 visa's especially in a number of industries like IT. I know first hand of subcontractors bringing over IT workers from India to work in one of the big 4 banks. They pay below market rate and will work all the hours given as to them, well its the jackpot as their families are at home and they are earning x4/x5 times more then they would have in India. Fair play to them I say but I can also understand why people get pissed off with this. It is the way the world is going though, so its going to be come more commonplace. Lesson in this. Have a skill that's in demand and pays.

On a 457 in IT myself and from my own experience the company I'm in cannot find any suitable Australian candidates to fill the roles that are open.

They've hired quite a few recently and most have been from India, Pakistan etc but it's not so that they can pay them less money. Having spoken to the person doing the interviewing he's simply stated many times that most candidates just aren't good enough. I'm not even sure there were many Australians applying.

Now I'm not saying what you've said doesn't or isn't happening, I just haven't seen it myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

There is a huge under current of people in Australia that when it comes to migration facts and figures they would not have the first idea even though the answer should be staring them in the face.

So they are happy to basically spout of any old thing that anyone says in print or other wise. The same type of people exist in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

Zambia wrote: »
    There is a huge under current of people in Australia that when it comes to migration facts and figures they would not have the first idea even though the answer should be staring them in the face.

So they are happy to basically spout of any old thing that anyone says in print or other wise. The same type of people exist in Ireland.

Agreed. I even had a derogatory backpacker comment made about me yesterday. There are ignorant people all over the world unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

punk_one82 wrote: »
    Agreed. I even had a derogatory backpacker comment made about me yesterday. There are ignorant people all over the world unfortunately.

Ha why anyone would have anything bad to say about backpackers is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

The worst misrepresentation of differing visas i've seen in print was a local rag in Margaret River giving out about 457 workers only sticking around for a few months before moving on elsewhere and that they should be forced to stay in one place for a few years at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Morshlac

irishmover wrote: »
    Not sure if many on here are aware of Whirlpool but its the Australian version of this forum. Except just terrible, not even close to as good as Boards!

Anyway.. Found this thread on it and have been watching it develop. Bit my tongue a few times. Pretty interesting read of the whirlpool Australian community perspective on immigration in general in Australia.

whirlpool is good if you want information on say....the best type of fridge to buy

but when it comes to people talking about work or giving opinions it seems to be a much higher proportion of complete whackos on it than boards, and generally there is a bunch of people in the threads with a massive chip on they're shoulder having a rant..not to mention plenty with atrocious grammer

i find it hard to believe its any representation of the general public so all in all i wudn't get worked about it if u see stuff like that just close browser :)
    i used read a lot more of it but not so much anymore

Advertisement