Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Australia alone?

Options
  • 26-09-2015 12:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭

Good idea/Bad idea? Plan on doing a bit of travel and a bit of work then in the wilderness :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Great idea! There are solo travellers all over Australia, you'll never be alone....unless you purposely seek that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

I'll repeat what Noo has said, Great idea!

You'll meet plenty of new people and have experiences you wouldn't have had otherwise! Just don't count on things going to plan because they never do ( at least that was my experience. )

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭HiGlo

Australia & New Zealand are quite set up for solo travellers....
    I mostly travelled with others but spent about a month or so travelling alone.
    Typically you will get chatting to the others in your dorm room and they'll prob invite you to join them for drinks etc... Alternatively, a lot of the hostels have common areas where you can get chatting to people. Quite a few have bars that do dinners n stuff so you can head to the bar for some food and get chatting. I did a couple of package type day trips or 2/3 day tours (did 3 day trip to Cape Trib from Cairns) and you'll certainly get chatty with people on those. You'll bump into a lot of people going the same direction as you and will end up bumping into them in a few different spots (if you don't end up travelling with them!)...

It really is, in my opinion, the easiest place to travel alone... I was never short of company for the month I was alone.
    I moved into a long stay hostel in Sydney on my own when I was heading there for work and I ended up with some great friends and there was a gang of us that ended up like family 6 months later.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 EmmaMul91

I'm going alone next April just took the plunge and booked flights last night! to be fair i have family over there but i plan on just visiting quickly and heading off on my own then to meet other people :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dogzyT

Hey,

I'm traveling on my own in May! Plan to go to Melbourne first as I have a friend there, but I want to do my farm work from June to Aug. If anyone is looking for a farming buddy let me know, would be great to have company :) A little nervous going on my own too, but I have heard it is the best thing people ever did! :) I also want to do the East towards the end of the year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 EMM2014

Hey I just sent you a private message :)

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ElecKtrA

HiGlo wrote: »
    Australia & New Zealand are quite set up for solo travellers....
    I mostly travelled with others but spent about a month or so travelling alone.
    Typically you will get chatting to the others in your dorm room and they'll prob invite you to join them for drinks etc... Alternatively, a lot of the hostels have common areas where you can get chatting to people. Quite a few have bars that do dinners n stuff so you can head to the bar for some food and get chatting. I did a couple of package type day trips or 2/3 day tours (did 3 day trip to Cape Trib from Cairns) and you'll certainly get chatty with people on those. You'll bump into a lot of people going the same direction as you and will end up bumping into them in a few different spots (if you don't end up travelling with them!)...

It really is, in my opinion, the easiest place to travel alone... I was never short of company for the month I was alone.
    I moved into a long stay hostel in Sydney on my own when I was heading there for work and I ended up with some great friends and there was a gang of us that ended up like family 6 months later.
    Hi there...can I please get the name of the long stay hostel in which you stay in? I'm moving to Sydney and I will need something cheap as chips initially until I find a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 misslynny

Hi
    I'm thinking about going to OZ sometime this year...
    What is the visa application process like... some say it's easy some say it's awkward. I just posted a thread looking for advise.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

misslynny wrote: »
    Hi
    I'm thinking about going to OZ sometime this year...
    What is the visa application process like... some say it's easy some say it's awkward. I just posted a thread looking for advise.

Thanks
    It's very simple, you just turn up. But if you have any doubts still then check Visas sticky on this forum.

Advertisement