Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung galaxy s3 issues since system update

• 20-03-2014 10:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭

All was well untill sd card stopped working and message "sd card blank or unsupported files"

It wants to format he card. Didnt want to be it wasn't going away. So tryed. No difference.

Today suddenly noticed the back of the phone very very hot. Popped off the cover and the sd card was very hot. Iv removed it for now and it seems to have solved the heat.

but wtf. Anyone else any problems?

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

The new update basically banjaxed my husband's s3. It started doing mad stuff like as soon as he answered a call it would just crash and shut down. Notifications weren't coming through and then it would just randomly crash at various times during the day. This was a huge problem for him because he's trying to get a job so if it was someone ringing him back about an application he sent in he wasn't able to answer the calls. It was perfect before he updated.

Mine's rooted so I didn't get the update. He ended up rooting his and installing a custom rom because for some reason you can't root and install the pre-update version, it just doesn't work. He did some googling and apparently a lot of people have had problems since the new update.

Re the phone getting too hot, have you got a cover on it? Mine used to get really hot and I read somewhere that the cover can make it do that cos there's no air getting to it. Not sure how much truth there is to that though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Nope no cover

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

You might need to buy a new SD card and see how that works out. Apparently there were issues with the s3 burning out SD cards due to overheating. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

What version did you update to? 4.3?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Theimprover

I have had problems too since the latest update , phone is starting to freeze and I have to reboot, it's been happening now about 4-5 times a day, I really wanted to get the S5 but might consider it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,673 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Me too. Seems to be okay for a few hours, then freezes several times over a few hours, then is okay for a few hours...

But it's extremely irritating. Was close to flinging it out the window the other day.

Anyone know how to fix this for a non techie person?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

I have had problems too since the latest update , phone is starting to freeze and I have to reboot, it's been happening now about 4-5 times a day, I really wanted to get the S5 but might consider it now.

Yep the 4.3 update.

To be honest im only waiting for the htc m8 to be released on the 25th. The previous htc I had was far better thought out and far tougher too.

and should cost me feck all.

update. It seems sandisk are sending a new card. Must be a issue if there replacing a card thats almost a year and a half old

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

The update ruined my S3 too. Reboot and battery out numerous times a day.

Until I rooted. I followed the easy process on cyanogenmod.com and I'm delighted with the result. Phone is now running Android 4.4.2 KitKat and it has never been quicker.
    Couldn't recommend it highly enough if you're having problems.

In saying all that the experience has probably put me off buying a Samsung next time around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭steve_r

Paddy_R wrote: »
    The update ruined my S3 too. Reboot and battery out numerous times a day.

Until I rooted. I followed the easy process on cyanogenmod.com and I'm delighted with the result. Phone is now running Android 4.4.2 KitKat and it has never been quicker.
    Couldn't recommend it highly enough if you're having problems.

In saying all that the experience has probably put me off buying a Samsung next time around.

Yeah I'm the same.

Hands free mode keeps turning itself on. Tried disabling car mode etc and changing notification rules and sounds but no joy.

Battery life is very poor now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Me too. Seems to be okay for a few hours, then freezes several times over a few hours, then is okay for a few hours...

But it's extremely irritating. Was close to flinging it out the window the other day.

Anyone know how to fix this for a non techie person?

Same here, called in to three store today thinking it was my handset but it was indeed the update and is effecting everyone (?) who updated their S3 and teh only way to fix it is to send it out for repair. Problem is there are so many people getting them repaired the shops don't have any loan hadsets left :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭steve_r

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,673 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Same here, called in to three store today thinking it was my handset but it was indeed the update and is effecting everyone (?) who updated their S3 and teh only way to fix it is to send it out for repair. Problem is there are so many people getting them repaired the shops don't have any loan hadsets left :mad:

Out of the blue last Friday it just went back to normal. Went from crashing probably 20 times a day to not crashing at all. Hasnt since. Something popped up about an update, and said i needed to go on wifi. I didn't bother, have had no problems since.

Don't ask me, i was close to destroying the stupid yoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Having heard of the problems with the update to 4.3, I didn't update.

My phone is still running 4.1.2, which works well.

I see that an update is available.

Can I trust it?

What is the best/easiest way to backup?

Having heard of the problems with the update to 4.3, I didn't update.

My phone is still running 4.1.2, which works well.

I see that an update is available.

Can I trust it?

What is the best/easiest way to backup?

I don't know if this is the easiest way but it's the way that never let me down. Install a custom recovery and backup to SD card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

And the latest update from Samsung? Is it reliable, or do we run a mile?

And the latest update from Samsung? Is it reliable, or do we run a mile?

I don't own a S3 so cannot help you but I own a Note 2 and before that a S II so I know how to put a custom recovery on a Samsung device.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭bennyineire

I bit the bullet at christmas and when with cyngenmod, very easy to install and now my phone has no bloatware and is running 4.4.2.
    I think I'll be going with the Nexus 5 for my next phone now that google are selling it in Ireland

Advertisement