Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysian airline MH-17 discussion thread

Options
  • 17-07-2014 4:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭

Just been announced on radio.

Apparently plane has crashed near the Russian border, plane was heading to Kuala Lumpur from Amsterdam.

Close to 300 people on board.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Any link???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Any link???

Fearing the worst, doesn't sound good though.

Poor souls.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/ukraine/10974050/Malaysian-plane-crashes-on-Ukraine-Russia-border-live.html
    Interfax news agency are claiming that a Malaysian passenger plane has crashed in Ukraine, near the Russian border.

"A Boeing Malaysian Airlines that was fyling from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur began to descend about 50km before entering Russian airspace, and was subsequently found burning on the ground in Ukraine," an aviation source told Interfax.

Interfax said that 295 people were on board at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Oh no!

I really hope it wasn't a mistaken Russian missile downed it!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

from rte.ie
    A Malaysian passenger airliner with 295 people on board crashed in Ukraine near the Russian border, Interfax cited an aviation industry source as saying.

It said the Boeing plane was flying from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur.

There is no independent verification of the Interfax report.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Thoie wrote: »

Looks like it's near the Polish border, not the Russian, if that's where it's gone down.

Very sad :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

hmmm seems odd as apparently recently a Ukrainian plane went down near the border, brought down by sophisticated AA not the run of the mill stuff the separatist could use...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Just happened after a Ukraine jet shot down yesterday.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-28345039
    If either party are to blame for this one, things are going to get very messy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

Oh no!

Regardless, the Ukrainian military will get the blame from the Soviets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭fta93

On sky now, interfax reporting it was shot down.

If true, and it's looking likely, this could have the potential to finish the airline. If it's due to mechanical or pilot error any way.

I certainly would be apprehensive of flying with them now, (rightly or wrongly)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Looking grim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Sky news, reporting Interfax news agency as saying it was shot down at an altitude of 10km (they stress it cannot be verified independently) this is a deadly serious turn if true.

BBC have just reported it.

Two lines is all they have.
    Malaysian airliner crashes in Ukraine, near Russian border - Russian media sources

More to follow.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-28354856

A lot of people emigrate by flying via Amsterdam->KL->Aus.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Yep, a lot of Europeans likely to be on this.
    :(

(not that it matters, but it's going to hit 'home' even more that other disasters...)

Indeed. Did so myself a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

from here http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/ukraine/10974050/Malaysian-plane-crashes-on-Ukraine-Russia-border-live.html

16.34 Interfax are saying that the plane was shot down.
    16.28 Initial reports suggested that the flight could have been Malaysia Airlines MH17, which left Amsterdam at 12.14.
    It was due to arrive in Kuala Lumpur at 06.09.
    16.27 Unconfirmed reports on Twitter showed YouTube footage of a large pall of smoke in fields near Shaktersk.
    http://youtu.be/48YlDSVFVMI

• Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Ukraine government saying terrorists shot the plane down, that must be some sophisticated kit to take a plane down

• Advertisement

The Telegraph has this covered with footage from the scene (assuming it's genuine) emerging:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/ukraine/10974050/Malaysian-plane-crashes-on-Ukraine-Russia-border-live.html

Also -from their Washington Correspondent:
    It's still not clear what happened to today's Malaysia Airlines flight but last night, as the US announced new sanctions on Russia, American officials suggested Russian weapons were behind the downing of a Ukrainian transport aircraft on Monday. Here's what they had to say:
    "On July 14th, Ukrainians lost an An-26 transport jet, which was shot down from an altitude of 21,000 feet, with eight crew on board. And only very sophisticated weapons systems would be able to reach this height."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭dmc17

Oh no!

From RTE
    There are unconfirmed reports from the Ukrainian interior ministry that the airliner was shot down by a ground-to-air missile.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

They only people with the technology to shoot it down are the Russians.

They will immediately blame "Separatists" and annex the rest of the non-Russian Ukraine using this as an excuse.

And we'll let them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

All the shits are gonna hit all the fans if was shot down. Can't see how things possibly couldn't escalate very badly if that turns out to be what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

When I first saw the headline for this, I thought they meant the plane that has been missing for months had shown up and was shot down.

This is awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Many trigger happy psychos in that part of the world. I hope shít does hit the fan, the Russians, if they are responsible, need to be brought into line regarding their aggressive attitudes.

Am talking to my friends in Malaysia and as yet it has not been reported there.
    It is a disaster for everyone affected by it as well as possibly Malaysian Airways. This could spark some terrible retribution if it was shot down.
    Very sad.

All the shits are gonna hit all the fans if was shot down. Can't see how things possibly couldn't escalate very badly if that turns out to be what happened.

Yeah, world tensions have been simmering for so long now. There's Syria, Thailand, Israel trying to obliterate Palestine, Crimea, there's that nutjob in North Korea and now there's the possibility that someone shot down a whole airplane full of civilians, likely to contain a large number of westerners. Not looking so dandy.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭UpCork

Awful news :(

I agree, lots of Europeans on this presumably as it is the main route to AUS and the Far East :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

BBC reporting AP had witnessed a BUK launcher in the hands of rebels today :eek:

Advertisement