Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gerry Anderson RIP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Thats sad ...

R.I.P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

A very popular presenter and most certainly another man who has gone before his time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Raddaboutye

Very sad news. He has been missed on the radio for some time now. Wonderful raconteur. A lot of his shows are available online (dropbox) if anyone is looking. RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

I was quite saddened when I read yesterday of the death of Gerry Anderson.
    I often listened in to his radio show years ago when I was living in Belfast, and I always got the sense that he had a mischievous twinkle in his eye and didn't take himself too seriously.
    Make no mistake, Gerry Anderson was excellent at what he did - he had to be to have such broad appeal across both communities at at time when horrific events were an almost daily occurrence.

I just wanted to register that, at a time when we are mourning the passing of an important figure in Irish political history, Albert, this Southerner appreciated Gerry Anderson.

He really was one of the good guys.

May he rest in peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Anderson Country - the programme that completely flummoxed middle England in the mid 90s. I listened to it on and off and if the same approach were taken now it would actually stand a chance albeit probably in the Saturday morning slot. Even Radio 4 listeners are a lot less starched these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

Anderson Country - the programme that completely flummoxed middle England in the mid 90s. I listened to it on and off and if the same approach were taken now it would actually stand a chance albeit probably in the Saturday morning slot. Even Radio 4 listeners are a lot less starched these days.

In fairness, it would be like putting Derek Mooney or John Murray on BBC R4 - he never stood a chance with a show like that on a high brow station like R4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

In fairness, it would be like putting Derek Mooney or John Murray on BBC R4 - he never stood a chance with a show like that on a high brow station like R4.

No offense to Derek Mooney or John Murray but Anderson was a level or two above them.

Secondly To Be fair to Derek, He's been very successful on BBC Television and He's been on the BBC World Service regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

I remember him from the TV, where he had a natural style of presenting and a good rapport with viewers. Hadn't thought about him for years when I walked into a butcher's in Enniskillen a few years and found him on the receiving end of an onslaught from a fan. Anderson looked bemused but not at all annoyed with the man. I was kinda impressed at his patience...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I see there's a tribute programme for Gerry Anderson on BBC1 NI next Tuesday

10.40 BBC1 NI - Remembering Gerry
    A tribute to radio and TV presenter Gerry Anderson, who died in August, being shown to commemorate what would have been his 70th birthday. Friends and famous fans gather to reminisce and reflect on his presenting style and what made him such a giant of the broadcasting world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I wonder when the BBC will do a tribute to the other Gerry Anderson...

• Advertisement
Advertisement