Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Digital Radio

• 09-09-2014 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

I was recently over in my elderly Grand Aunt's house and her radio signal for BBC Radio 4, a station which she listens to every day, has pretty much disappeared. I told her I'd look into getting her a new radio that would be able to pick it up.

I've had a look and see that there is now a digital signal broadcasting and radio's can be bought that pick up this signal - my question is, does BBC Radio 4 broadcast over this signal or is it limited to Irish stations only?

She does not have the internet in her house and isn't interested in getting it, so that would rule out getting a radio connected to the internet which I'm sure could pick up Radio 4 fine.

What would my best option in terms of a Radio to get her - she currently has two old radios and said since a few weeks ago when people were working on lines outside the house, the Radio 4 Signal has become almost non existent, I don't know if this would have much to do with it.

Would really appreciate if someone could give me some advice, I'm not too up to speed on current radio technology!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭real rocker

Hi Offside,
    You don't say where your relation lives so difficult to determine if the Long Wave signal can be improved. I listen on LW in south Dublin & usually have an OK signal during the day. There is intermittent electrical interference form time to time so my internet radio is a life saver.
    If Internet is off the agenda as you say it seems unlikely that DAB signal available as only possible in the border counties. If your grand aunt has Freesat, Sky or UPC for telly reception Radio 4 is part of the suite of stations on the menu if listening using the telly is considered OK.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Offside

Hi Offside,
    You don't say where your relation lives so difficult to determine if the Long Wave signal can be improved. I listen on LW in south Dublin & usually have an OK signal during the day. There is intermittent electrical interference form time to time so my internet radio is a life saver.
    If Internet is off the agenda as you say it seems unlikely that DAB signal available as only possible in the border counties. If your grand aunt has Freesat, Sky or UPC for telly reception Radio 4 is part of the suite of stations on the menu if listening using the telly is considered OK.
    Best of luck.

Hi, living in Terenure area. I feared as much, I'm wondering if getting her a new radio might at least help somewhat with the signal issues?
    Looking at the radios she has, I would say they are 20+ years old. I think she just has plain saorview so listening on the television would not be an option.
    Thank you for your reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Cork_chick_94

I read somewhere that bbc radio 4 is now running on half power on longwave to prolong the lifespan of the transmitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Offside wrote: »
    Hi, living in Terenure area. I feared as much, I'm wondering if getting her a new radio might at least help somewhat with the signal issues?
    Looking at the radios she has, I would say they are 20+ years old. I think she just has plain saorview so listening on the television would not be an option.
    Thank you for your reply.

Try 720 Medium Wave - signal is very clear along the east coast - you might get lucky with UPC leakage on 96.35 FM.

The LW transmitter was having problems over the last few weeks but that should be resolved shortly.

As an aside older radios tend to be better for reception than newer radios and importantly keep the radio away from potential sources of interferance eg TVs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Ciaran

Would any of her neighbours be nice enough to let her leach off their wifi for an internet radio?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

If you have access to NTL - it is relayed in FM on their analog service
    For me its 96.3MHz FM (20 October 2014) in Dublin in crystal clear stereo

i.e. connect the radio to the UPC/NTL cable (even connecting the central point of the coaxial plug to the silvery pullout aerial of a simple fm transistor radio)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Has she a dish on the house. If not cheap to install freesat box with all the BBC channels. Nice screensaver on the TV when it's on letting you know the content currently on air etc.

Advertisement