Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replace/Repair Shower Trap

Options
  • 11-09-2014 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi,
    The waste/trap in my shower has come loose and now there is water getting in under the tray.

It's a bottle trap and it's attached to the tray with a rubber seal that has degraded and and is coming apart.

Does anyone know will it be possible to repair this without removing the tray-it's fully built in and tiled with a bespoke glass enclosure etc. so it's going to very expensive to undo all that.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

gmk77 wrote: »
    Hi,
    The waste/trap in my shower has come loose and now there is water getting in under the tray.

It's a bottle trap and it's attached to the tray with a rubber seal that has degraded and and is coming apart.

Does anyone know will it be possible to repair this without removing the tray-it's fully built in and tiled with a bespoke glass enclosure etc. so it's going to very expensive to undo all that.
    Thanks.
    If i was changing a broken trap i would be cutting a hole in the ceiling below and then fitting a new trap and making good the ceiling,not a big job.
    In your case, you can open up the top part of the bottle trap by unscrewing it a few turns,remove the rubber seal,clean the shower tray where the seal was and the rim of the trap with white spirits and dry off.Fill all the area where the rubber seal was with high grade silicone.then tighten the trap clockwise.wipe off excess silicone with a cloth and white spirits.It would be easier if you had a shower trap key for unscrewing the trap but you can do it without it too

• Registered Users Posts: 13 gmk77

The bathroom is on the ground floor and it's a concrete floor so going in from underneath is not an option.

From what I can see, the trap does not screw in. It just seems to rest under the tray and is attached to the tray hole with a rubber seal, which has degraded and come loose.

I'm going to get a plumber to look at it. Fingers crossed there's something that can be done.

Advertisement