Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do HEI's have so little places reserved for FETAC? (Discussion)

• 05-03-2015 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

FETAC courses offer an excellent entry point into academic study. They also serve as a great "taster" option for someone to try out a certain area of study that they aren't entirely sure whether or not they are interested in. They provide a decent basis of knowledge and experience for someone to draw from if they go on and study for a degree, something they wouldn't have gotten from the Leaving Cert.

So why is it so hard for FETAC holders to get a place on a degree course? Holders of a FETAC Major certificate have already proven that they are interested enough in their chosen subject to apply themselves to it full-time for at least a year. And now, with many FETAC courses providing work experience opportunities, their graduates are far more experienced and knowledgeable than those going off a Leaving Cert. Yet so many degree courses reserve just 2-4 places for people with FETAC awards applying from all around the country. Why is that? Why is the system set up so that its a much better option for a young person to repeat the Leaving Cert than to go on to a FETAC Level 5 if they don't get the results they need?

For example; I want to study Social Care B.A. Hons in DIT. But I have a poor enough Leaving Cert. I can do a FETAC Level 5 in Social Care and then next year, compete with people from all over the country for 1 of 4 places on the course, or I can repeat the Leaving and get in that way, which would be a surer way of getting in. Surely by doing the Level 5 I would be much better equipped to get my degree? Well getting a place would be much harder for me that way, as I am competing for 1 of 4 reserved places, instead of the 1 of 44 places for Leaving Cert applicants.

I think the CAO system leaves a lot to be desired and is in need of some serious revision. More places for FETAC holders!

What do yas reckon?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭irishlad12345

have to agree i was in a FETAC course and have to repeat the leaving cert because the leaving cert the leaving cert has less competition for places

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

FETAC courses offer an excellent entry point into academic study. They also serve as a great "taster" option for someone to try out a certain area of study that they aren't entirely sure whether or not they are interested in. They provide a decent basis of knowledge and experience for someone to draw from if they go on and study for a degree, something they wouldn't have gotten from the Leaving Cert.

So why is it so hard for FETAC holders to get a place on a degree course? Holders of a FETAC Major certificate have already proven that they are interested enough in their chosen subject to apply themselves to it full-time for at least a year. And now, with many FETAC courses providing work experience opportunities, their graduates are far more experienced and knowledgeable than those going off a Leaving Cert. Yet so many degree courses reserve just 2-4 places for people with FETAC awards applying from all around the country. Why is that? Why is the system set up so that its a much better option for a young person to repeat the Leaving Cert than to go on to a FETAC Level 5 if they don't get the results they need?

For example; I want to study Social Care B.A. Hons in DIT. But I have a poor enough Leaving Cert. I can do a FETAC Level 5 in Social Care and then next year, compete with people from all over the country for 1 of 4 places on the course, or I can repeat the Leaving and get in that way, which would be a surer way of getting in. Surely by doing the Level 5 I would be much better equipped to get my degree? Well getting a place would be much harder for me that way, as I am competing for 1 of 4 reserved places, instead of the 1 of 44 places for Leaving Cert applicants.

I think the CAO system leaves a lot to be desired and is in need of some serious revision. More places for FETAC holders!

What do yas reckon?

It's down to individual colleges, rather than the CAO

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I have always felt that particularly in the case of DIT which was originally part of the City of Dublin VEC, it was a pity that they didn't reserve a percentage of places for students who chose the VEC for their secondary education instead of the generally 'better regarded' religious run schools. It would have changed the profile of college participation in the poorer areas of Dublin served by the VEC schools, along with the profile of child attending the 'Techs', which in Dublin was often seen, particularly after the introduction of 'free' education as non - academic.

Likewise, the few places reserved for FETAC applicants should have been increased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭Iopu

I found my fetac level 5 course to be way too easy. We had exams that 2 a4 pages covered everything that could come up. I strolled though it and got 8 distinctions. I also got my no.1 cao choice so I won't conplain.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Flight From Death

Iopu wrote: »
    I found my fetac level 5 course to be way too easy. We had exams that 2 a4 pages covered everything that could come up. I strolled though it and got 8 distinctions. I also got my no.1 cao choice so I won't conplain.

May I ask what the course was and where? And what was your CAO choice? I know they aren't that hard but 8 distinctions on my course would have been very hard to achieve.

• Advertisement
Advertisement