Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIT Architecture requirements

Options
  • 21-01-2015 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi everyone,

I am a student hoping to study architecture in DIT after my leaving certificate in June. When I went to their website page on suitability testing, there was a problem with the website and I cant find out about the suitability test required for entry to this course. It has been like this for the past few months. Other than my CAO points, what other requirements is there to gain entry to this course? Do I need a portfolio? What information do I need to know about the suitability test? Is there an interview?

Any help you can give me would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭MagicHumanDoll

Hey buddy,

First and foremost, I'm a first year currently in architecture and I can tell you now, you'll absolutely love it. Or at least I hope so. There's some tough times work wise but it is so brilliant, all 60 of my classmates enjoy it (although we have our days of moaning haha)

Anyways onto the stuff you wanna know. To get into the course there is a total of 825 points that you can achieve. 625 is the max for the leaving cert, plus 100 *points* for a suitability test and 100 for an interview.
    The suitability test comes first. An essay about why you wanna be an architect, then a few spacial puzzles, and a section to draw your favourite space/ building, simple stuff. I didn't know what was on it until I was there and got 80. So if you have an aptitude for it don't worry!
    Next is the interview. Bring a portfolio, about 20 pieces at work max that you can talk about if asked questions. Make it show off how great you are at drawing and diversity! As for the interview portion; Favourite building(s) and architects aswell as a verbal explanation of why you wanna do architecture. Takes about 10 mins and happens about a month after the suitability test. I got 70 (was a harsher intervewer plus I knew zero architects really) whereas the majority of my friends got 90/100.

So that total adds to your leaving cert points and that's what qualifies you for the course. But you could actually get 0 in both and get 625 in the leaving and get in. So it's only there to help those with a gift for it that potentially can't get 590+ points in the leaving!

Any more questions feel free to ask! I know I couldn't find anything on it last year and wish I got to ask some questions so please don't hesitate to ask!!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭pleindespoir

Hey buddy,

First and foremost, I'm a first year currently in architecture and I can tell you now, you'll absolutely love it. Or at least I hope so. There's some tough times work wise but it is so brilliant, all 60 of my classmates enjoy it (although we have our days of moaning haha)

Anyways onto the stuff you wanna know. To get into the course there is a total of 825 points that you can achieve. 625 is the max for the leaving cert, plus 100 *points* for a suitability test and 100 for an interview.
    The suitability test comes first. An essay about why you wanna be an architect, then a few spacial puzzles, and a section to draw your favourite space/ building, simple stuff. I didn't know what was on it until I was there and got 80. So if you have an aptitude for it don't worry!
    Next is the interview. Bring a portfolio, about 20 pieces at work max that you can talk about if asked questions. Make it show off how great you are at drawing and diversity! As for the interview portion; Favourite building(s) and architects aswell as a verbal explanation of why you wanna do architecture. Takes about 10 mins and happens about a month after the suitability test. I got 70 (was a harsher intervewer plus I knew zero architects really) whereas the majority of my friends got 90/100.

So that total adds to your leaving cert points and that's what qualifies you for the course. But you could actually get 0 in both and get 625 in the leaving and get in. So it's only there to help those with a gift for it that potentially can't get 590+ points in the leaving!

Any more questions feel free to ask! I know I couldn't find anything on it last year and wish I got to ask some questions so please don't hesitate to ask!!

Hi! Have you read any book realted to architecture before doing the interview? And plus, I don't have a portfolio... What am I gonna do?

Hey. I read a bit on the web about some architects but it was very obvious that I didn't know what I was talking about.
    Get yourself a portfolio. Whether it be some photos you took, a sketchbook. Whatever. Do something, pretty sure all my classmates brought a portfolio, it helps them figure you out.

Any more questions ask away!

Hey. I read a bit on the web about some architects but it was very obvious that I didn't know what I was talking about.
    Get yourself a portfolio. Whether it be some photos you took, a sketchbook. Whatever. Do something, pretty sure all my classmates brought a portfolio, it helps them figure you out.

Any more questions ask away!

I haven't done any. I don't even do Arts. :( I am fond of photography but haven't got enough pictures of buildings, I suppose. :/ Will they give the results for the test even if you don't get qualified? I am not really planning on studying on DIT because they won't give me EU fees, but I wanna know if Im suitable for the course...

Hmm, then why are you interested in this course? (not being mean, just curious as most in my course did some form of sketching in their own time or photography or whatever!)
    As for photos of buildings, ignore that mate. They want to see that you have an eye for design. Ie, they want to see a natural artistic ability as opposed to everything being about buildings, that's what you're there to learn haha!
    They will give you the results out of 100 for both things regardless of how poorly you could do (mind, a guy in my course got 40/100 in one thing and got in because he did well in the Leaving Cert)

• Advertisement

Hmm, then why are you interested in this course? (not being mean, just curious as most in my course did some form of sketching in their own time or photography or whatever!)
    As for photos of buildings, ignore that mate. They want to see that you have an eye for design. Ie, they want to see a natural artistic ability as opposed to everything being about buildings, that's what you're there to learn haha!
    They will give you the results out of 100 for both things regardless of how poorly you could do (mind, a guy in my course got 40/100 in one thing and got in because he did well in the Leaving Cert)

I just happen not to do Arts because I did not choose my options.. Which was really unfortunate. i am interested in this course because I used to love making houses in Sims (pretty lame yes) haha but to be honest I think it has something to do with my grand dad who has passion for creating things and when i was younger I was always curious on how things were built and inlove the smell of wood and cement.. But yeah. Alot of people tells me not to do it because I dont seem to fit in but im pretty persistent so..

Yeah go for it if you want it man. No one can decide for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bebh

Hey buddy,

Hi this might sound like a stupid question, but how would I be expected to dress for the interview? I want to make a good impression but don't want to look ridiculous. Should I dress casually smart, or work pants and a shirt type thing? I'm a girl by the way

Hey how's it going. Not a stupid question haha it's grand. Dress to impress! Like that can still mean a pair of jeans and a top, it's just about giving off an impression that this means a decent amount to you, as opposed to dressing like it's nothing.
    I mean I went in jeans and a shirt (guy) but there were people there in dresses as if they were going on a night out, so it's up to you.

Most importantly show them what you can do, not whether you have a good dress sense haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 anita12345

Hey Guys,
    My son is going for the suitability test in DIT next week but as he's up to his eyes with leaving cert projects he hasn't time to do any research on this so I'm looking for a bit of info for him. Am I right is saying that its basically 3 sections (1) write down why you think you're suited to Architecture (2) Spacial awareness test and (3) draw some sort of room or space?
    Also for the interview can he bring any type of drawings that he's done and can he bring Tech Graph/DCG drawings that he did in school?
    Would really appreciate any feedback you might have.

• Advertisement

Hey Anita,

Everything you have said is correct for the test. Then as for the drawings, bring anything he feels is something he's proud of or would be confident shows his abilities/strengths.
    If he takes photos, makes things in wood/metalwork, does photoshop, paints. Anything that shows them he has potential to be moulded into an architect

Thanks so much for you're reply, really appreciate you taking the time and all the advice ðŸ˜႒

Hey Anita,

Everything you have said is correct for the test. Then as for the drawings, bring anything he feels is something he's proud of or would be confident shows his abilities/strengths.
    If he takes photos, makes things in wood/metalwork, does photoshop, paints. Anything that shows them he has potential to be moulded into an architect

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply and the advice, really appreciate it.

Absolutely no problem, I'm trying to provide info that I couldn't find for myself this time last year!

If he has any questions at all feel free to ask

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lorennadnd

Hi Guys!
    I just had the suitability test this morning and does anyone know when I'm getting the results for it. I am a little nervous, because I am working since I was 16, and in the past year I worked two jobs so I didn't have that much time and energy to prepare. Before 16 I used to be very passionate by drawings and sketches but when I started working I stopped drawing so my hand is not trained any more, my mind and brain its not connecting to it properly, I mean, I know exactly how to do it its just that it feels hard now. My essay was good, I worked a while at it in the past few days. My drawing,I like to think that it's fine too. I drew the Cinderella Castle form Disney but you can actually see that my hand hadn't been trained in a very long time. As the second part...I did five little drawings out of nine because I didn't have that much time left. I used to be very good at this but you can actually see that I had a big break. I have 550 from my LC I did in my country where its called Bacaleureate, major subjects advanced maths,computers and science. I really want to study architecture so what do you think about what I did today at the test.

Thank you :)

Hi Guys. I think I did really bad at the test. I wasn't even sure if I did it right. Anyone give me an idea of what they did on the second part?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭firlodge

Hi
    how many people are on the interview panel?
    thanks

Usually 2. One talks more than the other, it's relatively casual.

Advertisement