Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SU Elections 2015

Options
  • 27-02-2015 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭

The Candidates are.....
    President:
    • Ross Doyle
    • Phelim Kelly...
    • Cian McLoughlin
    • Cillian Moran
    • Karl Picard
    Vice-President/Education Officer:
    • Joanne Duffy
    • Rebecca Melvin
    Vice-President/Welfare Officer:
    • Shane Broderick
    • Jimmy McGovern
    • Megan Reilly

SU Council Chair Candidates are..
    *Ronan Gallagher
    *Cathal Sherlock

Hustings in the College Bar 3pm Tuesday 3rd March (President) and 3pm Wednesday 4th March (Vice Presidents) hosted by DJ Byrno.
    VOTE on Thursday 5th March 10am-8pm!

Who are people thinking of voting for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Will be extremely interesting! The Presidential Race is going to be so close! Ross Doyle, Cian McLoughlin and Phelim Kelly all have different followings. Phelim ovbiously well known from his time and great work in the SU, Ross Doyle with Law Soc and Cian with Biz Soc. It's going to be quite tight. Not sure if Cillian Moran is serious or taking up the "El Presidente" mantra. I'm kinda hoping he is because that was the highlight of the elections last year. Can't see past the first three guys mentioned though, would vote for Kelly here.

Rebecca Melvin and Joanne Duffy will be interesting. I'd say it'd be close but I've always found Duffy can be quite hostile if you are in anyway opinionated and your opinions are contrary to hers whereas Melvin is so approachable. If this was a Welfare race there would be absolutely no contest, I'd definitely give Melvin the nod. Not sure who will win for Education though. Duffy can be quite hostile but she would make a hell of an Education officer as she wouldn't take BS from anyone trying to fcuk over students. Not sure if Melvin could do the same but I'd still vote for Melvin.

As for Education I don't know any of them that well so will refrain from comment on that.

Again, these are my opinions and you should read all the manifestos and make your decision based on that and who you think would be the best person for the job!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 louiseber

Surprised Joe Loughnane isn't on the ballot. Was he finally banned? I regularly see him still hanging around campus promoting the Palestine solidarity society despite not being a student for several years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ciano1

Is it that time of the year again already?

Fuck.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

This is going to be tight. Especially with Welfare and President.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Moran is a joke candidate, apparently McLoughlin and Doyle are as well. Will be interesting to see how that goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,020 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Hustings are in the college bar and hosted by DJ Byrno - everyone is a joke candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

so really president is a two horse race between pheilim and karl?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Rebecca Melvin and Joanne Duffy will be interesting. I'd say it'd be close but I've always found Duffy can be quite hostile if you are in anyway opinionated and your opinions are contrary to hers whereas Melvin is so approachable. If this was a Welfare race there would be absolutely no contest, I'd definitely give Melvin the nod. Not sure who will win for Education though. Duffy can be quite hostile but she would make a hell of an Education officer as she wouldn't take BS from anyone trying to fcuk over students. Not sure if Melvin could do the same but I'd still vote for Melvin.

I disagree with your points regarding Joanne there. She's quite an intelligent person, I think a lot of the time she doesn't hold back on issues but for an Education officer, you need a person who's willing to speak up and be effective in the endless amount of committees they're on. A quiet education officer is one who's not speaking up for students! ;)

PomBear wrote: »
    I disagree with your points regarding Joanne there. She's quite an intelligent person, I think a lot of the time she doesn't hold back on issues but for an Education officer, you need a person who's willing to speak up and be effective in the endless amount of committees they're on. A quiet education officer is one who's not speaking up for students! ;)
    Never said she wasn't intelligent, she most definitely is. She is also capable. However, she will need to deal with not only government, officials in the college and different areas of employees in the college, she will have to deal with students. Casework takes up a huge amount of an officer's role and I don't think Joanne is as suited for that as Melvin is.

That being said, if I was still in the college and could vote, if Joanne's manifesto was better than Melvin's I'd vote for her. My personal opinion on the girl isn't enough to make me not think she would be a good officer, just not sure if she would be a better officer than Melvin. Melvin would fight just as hard for students

• Registered Users Posts: 5 RachelMx

This year will be a toughy for deciding, especially for role of President. I think Phelim and Karl are the forerunners in that category. They're both have plenty of experience with the Student Union, they're great speakers, genuinely care about Student issues and wouldn't hesitate to get things done! I think it will be a tight competition between those two.
    I think Rebecca is the better choice for Education for a couple of different reasons. She's had a great year as Equality Officer by raising awareness and highlighting the important issue this year which is Marriage Equality. She also arranged successful events such as Equality week, the anti-racism poster campaign, appeared at the gender inequality demonstrations held by Micheline Sheehy Skeffington. She also has experience with public speaking, she spoke at the Young Fine Gael panel about same sex marriage, class rep training, and gender inequality demonstrations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

**** time to try and avoid those mobs in the concourse shoving flyers at ya. Bloody annoying.

**** time to try and avoid those mobs in the concourse shoving flyers at ya. Bloody annoying.
    Yup, people running for your benefit to help you out for the next year, trying to show you how they are going to help you are SOOOO annoying :rolleyes:

Yup, people running for your benefit to help you out for the next year, trying to show you how they are going to help you are SOOOO annoying :rolleyes:

Tryna get to a lecture and eejits blocking your way tryna chat ****e when your running late. How beneficial.

Tryna get to a lecture and eejits blocking your way tryna chat ****e when your running late. How beneficial.
    Just say "no thank you" or wave your hand. Very easy. If they are blocking lecture halls then complain to the SU elections committee. Quite simple really. I was never late for a lecture during full time elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,020 ✭✭✭Ficheall

people running for your benefit to help you out for the next year
    Let's not get carried away here...

Still - it's hardly any worse than here in Birmingham where there just seem to be loads of posters all over the lovely campus saying "Vote [First Name] [NICKNAME] [SURNAME] For [POSITION]! #HASHTAGSOME****E " and no mention of any policies anywhere.

RachelMx wrote: »
    This year will be a toughy for deciding, especially for role of President. I think Phelim and Karl are the forerunners in that category. They're both have plenty of experience with the Student Union, they're great speakers, genuinely care about Student issues and wouldn't hesitate to get things done! I think it will be a tight competition between those two.
    I think Rebecca is the better choice for Education for a couple of different reasons. She's had a great year as Equality Officer by raising awareness and highlighting the important issue this year which is Marriage Equality. She also arranged successful events such as Equality week, the anti-racism poster campaign, appeared at the gender inequality demonstrations held by Micheline Sheehy Skeffington. She also has experience with public speaking, she spoke at the Young Fine Gael panel about same sex marriage, class rep training, and gender inequality demonstrations.

I think you hit the nail on the head there.

Personally I'd vote for Melvin, I think she's very approachable and not sure if her contender would do the same. I liked how she was able to stand up for herself at the Fine Gael panel in fairness.

The reading room can be mobbed at times and people just through their shit on tables and head off for a few hours. If the library had more plugs we wouldn't have as much of an issue I think. If that's all I got I would be happy wink.png.

Like I said, Welfare and President is going to be the tight ones. Will all depend on how the week plans out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Any idea when the concourse becomes a no go area?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

The twenty minute period around classes, and from 12 - 2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

anyone got a brief synopsis of the candidates main points, and personal politics. I'm on work placement so getting the info here would save me time.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Member 420

What about this referendum happening?

Can't see anything other than a comfortable win for the Yes side.

• Advertisement

Member 420 wrote: »

Neither can I to be honest (although your username suggests why you brought it up). It's less harmful than drugs and tobacco and has already been proven to be a financial success in the States, I see no reason not to bring it in here and having a SU agree to that stance is a good, if small, first step towards that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

The twenty minute period around classes, and from 12 - 2

Thankfully it will be over on Thursday.
    Member 420 wrote: »

Im assuming you are talking about the cannabis vote. Probably will be a yes. I have no idea what the other is about despite reading it twice. Something to do with president not voting for something.

anyone got a brief synopsis of the candidates main points, and personal politics. I'm on work placement so getting the info here would save me time.
    Here are their facebook pages, easiest to find out from them

President
    Phelim Kelly
    Karl Picard

Education
    Joanne Duffy
    Rebecca Melvin

Welfare
    Shane Broderick
    Jimmy McGovern
    Megan Reilly

Joke Candidates
    Ross McLoughlin
    Comrade Moran

So far, the 3 people I'd vote for would be Kelly, Melvin and Reilly (loving Reilly actually incorporating what she wants to do while in office into her manifesto such as the running campaigners handing out leaflets)

Melvin wants to convince the college to increase bus services. Hasn't realised if thats done it will only increase fees or cut services elsewhere ain't nothing free major flaw when she was speaking to our class.

Melvin wants to convince the college to increase bus services. Hasn't realised if thats done it will only increase fees or cut services elsewhere ain't nothing free major flaw when she was speaking to our class.
    It would probably just be an increase in fuel costs though? The drivers are paid per hour, not per trip. They can do the trip in 10 minutes so they could easily have 15 minutes per service up until 7. Not that it will happen.

It would probably just be an increase in fuel costs though? The drivers are paid per hour, not per trip. They can do the trip in 10 minutes so they could easily have 15 minutes per service up until 7. Not that it will happen.

No she meant the exam buses to the kingfisher sorry I left that out by accident thought I'd included it. Those buses are rented by the college I think so yeah thats an increased expense. She also wanted the library from like 7am to midnight which is an extra like 3 1/2 hours wage to pay.

I doubt she did economics or accounting anyway. A very poor presentation.

No she meant the exam buses to the kingfisher sorry I left that out by accident thought I'd included it. Those buses are rented by the college I think so yeah thats an increased expense. She also wanted the library from like 7am to midnight which is an extra like 3 1/2 hours wage to pay.

I doubt she did economics or accounting anyway. A very poor presentation.

The reading room isn't manned, just swipe card entry. Surely it can't be hard to find another room to study in? That wouldn't cost anything, except light and heat.

From what I've seen and heard I want it to be Kelly, Melvin and Reilly. I think it will be Kelly, Melvin and Broderick though. Broderick is a good choice but I think Megan had more experience and better ideas. Be interesting to see anyway!

I think that Welfare's going to be tight. Megan or Jimmy I think.

• Advertisement

Mr. G wrote: »
    I think that Welfare's going to be tight. Megan or Jimmy I think.
    Wasn't really exposed to Jimmy at all so have no idea. Any of the three of them could take it, would love to see Megan win it though!

Advertisement