Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota car battery under warranty?

Options
  • 28-12-2014 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

I have a Toyota car (aygo) purchased new from toyota dealer april 2012, ie 2yrs 9 months, the battery is starting to give trouble, and have their eurocare assist called out twice to get car started and me home, wish to know if the car battery is covered under the Toyota 3 year warranty? any advice please..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

No. Battery, Clutch, Brakes are consumables and won't be covered under warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

The battery itself might still be under warranty. Most decent after market battery suppliers offer 3 year warranty so I wouldn't be surprised if it was. I'm not sure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,363 ✭✭✭ofcork

Be no harm to ask the dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭stoves1

many thanks for your replies, I will call dealer tomorrow and see, I would be fairly disappointed if they do not cover it seeing as only 30km on clock

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Checking an old warranty it may be covered up to 37mths but you will have to pay 50% of the new battery over 24mths
    Mileage has little to do with battery life, its usually down to keeping it charged which means driven for reasonable distances.
    Short runs are very hard on batteries as they expend a lot of energy starting and running the electrical system but not being recharged by the alternator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,407 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Probably not getting enough use this weather to regenerate.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭discodavie

Afaik yuasa are the supplier for Toyota so there should be a 3 year warranty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

find distilled water

put in battery

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭discodavie

braddun wrote: »
    find distilled water

put in battery

A litre of acid is only 4 euro why buy distiller water for a fiver ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

stoves1 wrote: »
    many thanks for your replies, I will call dealer tomorrow and see, I would be fairly disappointed if they do not cover it seeing as only 30km on clock

The problem with the battery is the 30k on the clock. Batteries need minding, with the low mileage you should consider a trickle charger, if you have easy access to a plug, or a solar charger to leave on the dash. I've a solar charger to keep my bike battery topped up and even that has struggled to keep enough juice in the battery as it's gotten colder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

discodavie wrote: »

Because the acidity level is maintained when you add water.

Under normal use only water escapes from the battery. The acid remains in the battery only more concentrated. Distilled water is he the best and cheapest solution to try

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

discodavie wrote: »

For the sake of a Euro I'd much rather pour distilled water than sulphuric acid. Also batteries are only supposed to be topped up with distilled water.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭stoves1

Ok, rang garage last week, where I bought the car, brought it to them, explained I charged the battery on home charger overnight, came up to 12.5volts, car started for a few days, then when weather got cold, let me down again, left it with them, got call 2hrs later to say car ready and new battery supplied and fitted under warranty, so well done to Carroll & kinsella church town.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Ok, rang garage last week, where I bought the car, brought it to them, explained I charged the battery on home charger overnight, came up to 12.5volts, car started for a few days, then when weather got cold, let me down again, left it with them, got call 2hrs later to say car ready and new battery supplied and fitted under warranty, so well done to Carroll & kinsella church town.

I bought a 12 Yaris of them last year and I have to echo your sentiments, they are very good and will go back next year to upgrade.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭9935452

Fair play to them . sure you bought the car new and a 50 euro battery will probably ensure you will buy there again. The battery was probably under waranty as well , so it most likely cost them nothing.
    Regardless of the cost it shows good customer service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

9935452 wrote: »
    Fair play to them . sure you bought the car new and a 50 euro battery will probably ensure you will buy there again. The battery was probably under waranty as well , so it most likely cost them nothing.

Contrast with some dealers whose default customer care is "we'll have to scan it first, there will be a 50/60/80 euro charge"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

9935452 wrote: »

I would be very surprised if Toyota are reimbursing them for the battery, its more likely to be a goodwill gesture from the garage.
    Contrast with some dealers whose default customer care is "we'll have to scan it first, there will be a 50/60/80 euro charge"

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

There is a full 3 year warranty on batteries from Toyota so it's not as if they went out of their way to replace it for the customer to be fair. Any Toyota main dealer would have done the same even if the car was not bought from them

denisoc16 wrote: »
    There is a full 3 year warranty on batteries from Toyota so it's not as if they went out of their way to replace it for the customer to be fair. Any Toyota main dealer would have done the same even if the car was not bought from them

The warranty for car batteries is not as simple as "heres my battery give me a new one". Like any warranty, a condition is that the cause of failure be a manufacturing defect and not customer abuse. Which is fair and proper, why should Toyota pay for a battery because somebody leaves their lights on for days at a time, or plugs gadgets into the 12v cigeratte lighter and constantly drains the battery?

For many manufacturers, to get a warranty claim passed on a battery you have to charge the battery and then test it with a Midtronic electronic battery tester (a piece of kit that costs over €1000). This tester analyses the condition of the battery to determine if the cause of the failure was sulphation, corrosion, cycling or full discharge, and returns a code that relates to these findings. As an example, if a battery is fully discharged (say by lights left on over a weekend) then it needs to be fully recharged within 48 hours or the damage is irreversible. It wasn't the garage's fault the driver left the lights on, so why should they be expected to pay for the battery in a case like that? Or Toyota? So to get a claim passed the garage needs to have the codes from the midtronic tester attached, and the claim would be rejected should those codes confirm the battery failed due to the actions of the customer.

In general its quite difficult to get warranty claims for batteries accepted, but its also a mess trying to explain to the average driver that a battery actually needs to be looked after no different to your engine oil/tyres, and so in practice garages that sold the car will usually just take the hit for the cost of the new battery.

The warranty for car batteries is not as simple as "heres my battery give me a new one". Like any warranty, a condition is that the cause of failure be a manufacturing defect and not customer abuse. Which is fair and proper, why should Toyota pay for a battery because somebody leaves their lights on for days at a time, or plugs gadgets into the 12v cigeratte lighter and constantly drains the battery?

For many manufacturers, to get a warranty claim passed on a battery you have to charge the battery and then test it with a Midtronic electronic battery tester (a piece of kit that costs over €1000). This tester analyses the condition of the battery to determine if the cause of the failure was sulphation, corrosion, cycling or full discharge, and returns a code that relates to these findings. As an example, if a battery is fully discharged (say by lights left on over a weekend) then it needs to be fully recharged within 48 hours or the damage is irreversible. It wasn't the garage's fault the driver left the lights on, so why should they be expected to pay for the battery in a case like that? Or Toyota? So to get a claim passed the garage needs to have the codes from the midtronic tester attached, and the claim would be rejected should those codes confirm the battery failed due to the actions of the customer.

In general its quite difficult to get warranty claims for batteries accepted, but its also a mess trying to explain to the average driver that a battery actually needs to be looked after no different to your engine oil/tyres, and so in practice garages that sold the car will usually just take the hit for the cost of the new battery.

No, with Toyota it is a no quibble 3 year warranty. I know about getting the fault code etc but if it's within 3 years it will be replaced FOC. also if you et a battery replaced at the dealer and you pay for it (an out of warranty replacement) then there is also a 3 year no quibble warranty on this battery.

It's not difficult to get warranty claims for batteries accepted either by the way

• Advertisement

It's not difficult to get warranty claims for batteries accepted either by the way

I've been processing main dealer warranty claims for well over a decade now, over five different manufacturers. Wish you had told me this earlier.

I've been processing main dealer warranty claims for well over a decade now, over five different manufacturers. Wish you had told me this earlier.

I don't know what it's like to claim for them with other manufacturers. There isn't a problem with Toyotas though

I don't know what it's like to claim for them with other manufacturers. There isn't a problem with Toyotas though

If so then Toyota have made a corporate decision to treat batteries different to the norm, one which I imagine has cost them a lot of money over the years. Thats their call, I imagine they see it as an investment in goodwill that should pay off long term.

If so then Toyota have made a corporate decision to treat batteries different to the norm, one which I imagine has cost them a lot of money over the years. Thats their call, I imagine they see it as an investment in goodwill that should pay off long term.

Maybe, and yes I agree that ordinarily claims can be a pain in the neck but with batteries they have a "no quibble" policy as far as I know. If a customer presents with a faulty battery and there is a fault code coming up then if it's under warranty it will be replaced there & then.

Advertisement