Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 Mod warning post#7005

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Lads, should we buy Cissokho at the end of his loan? I think he has been coming on very well for us defensivly and think if the price was really low we should.

It all depends on Enrique and what else is available. He has impressed me over the last few weeks, I said it the other day, nothing gets past him defensively so if we could work on his distribution I think he would actually be a good addition in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,967 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I think Spurs and Pool can both finish in the top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

murpho999 wrote: »
    Last night was actually our last midweek game of the season.

This could work to our advantage as the season goes on, plenty of rest and preparation time whilst those around us travel and play matches in Europe.

We have to push on and secure 4th now and then see what happens in the title shake-up.

Unlikely we'll do it but you never know.

Will there not be week day games if we progress in the cup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,536 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Lads, should we buy Cissokho at the end of his loan? I think he has been coming on very well for us defensivly and think if the price was really low we should.

No, we shouldn't.

In the last few games he's done ok.
    He has defended well and played the simple ball.
    However if this club wants to get to winning titles and Champion's leagues then it needs better.
    We need someone who can pass better and offer more in attack.

All Cissokho does is play simple balls to the nearest player.

Just because he hasn't screwed up does not mean he's good enough in my opinion.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Will there not be week day games if we progress in the cup?

Only replays, FA cup is always at the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

I've warmed to him, he has been solid defensively. He can and will improve going forward. I reckon Rodgers is happy with him and sees some potential otherwise he would have bought someone else in January. If he is available for a few million then go for it.

Oh and new thread, RODGERS OUT!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

There will be changes this weekend but we'll still have a strong team.

I think we've a massive chance to beat Arsenal. From the reports it sounded like they were very tired and with Bayern around the corner, the FA cup match is the only real chance to rest players.

The only definite change I want is Agger in place of Toure. Possibly Allen in for one of Sterling or Coutinho just so we can really go and press them again.

We have no excuse not to field a good side with all the breaks we'll have over the rest of the season.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

No, we shouldn't.

In the last few games he's done ok.
    He has defended well and played the simple ball.
    However if this club wants to get to winning titles and Champion's leagues then it needs better.
    We need someone who can pass better and offer more in attack.

All Cissokho does is play simple balls to the nearest player.

Just because he hasn't screwed up does not mean he's good enough in my opinion.

Well i was always of the opinion that you should buy a defender for his defensive ability and not his passing ability. I watched him closely last night and he was really good in defence. He always offered himself as an option on the attack aswell and seems to have a good engine in him. He went to Valencia for €5m so if he can be got for that or less then as backup i think it would be a good bit of business.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Just dropping in to say still buzzing.

Last night was a rollercoaster of emotions. We looked dire at times but had enough balls and luck to grab the win.

Starting to dream of possibilities ( even though I should know better )

• Advertisement

But surely that would shift a league game, no?

Well i was always of the opinion that you should buy a defender for his defensive ability and not his passing ability. I watched him closely last night and he was really good in defence. He always offered himself as an option on the attack aswell and seems to have a good engine in him. He went to Valencia for €5m so if he can be got for that or less then as backup i think it would be a good bit of business.

Would be ok as backup but I think we need defenders who can do more than defend or have a good engine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Our Year wrote: »
    Morning winners.

I love the feel of that windy 11 point gap on my neck. :)

Ok, maybe, but let's see, we have to beat Arsenal first!

If we need a cup replay that will be played midweek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

If Arsenal are going to be afraid of United on their own patch, then they should fear a side that battered them days before. I expect a win for us on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

+1 Definitely. He's only 26, is tough as nails, won't cost much to sign and can still develop the forward/passing side of his game. He's a perfect backup to Enrique.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Enjoy it while it lasts as Moyes is coming after us.

Utd Eye Top Four Finish

Had to triple check to make sure that wasn't a BBC sporf article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Yes there are league games clashing with quarter and semi finals.
    So you could have a game rearranged if us or our league opponents were involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Has Teixeira got the quality to become a first team mainstay?
    Dickerty wrote: »
    Teixeira was v good, he looked as though he's come into that team dozens of times, just played his game. Had a few attempts, some smart first time passing, including to Sturridge before he won the pen.

Anyone who saw him in the NextGen for Sporting a couple of years ago could see he had something, his progress at Liverpool got stunted by his back (growing in to his body issues) but when he started getting U21 games the potential was obvious even if his level of application was not always as clear.

It looks like he has been "chosen" as judged by Rodgers own comments and I'd not be at all surprised if last night cameo was not a prelude to an outing against Arsenal (albeit off the bench).
    ebbsy wrote: »
    I think Spurs and Pool can both finish in the top 4.

This I would approve of - the North London Meltown would be only spectacular to witness.

In striker out of form news ;) - Luis Suarez has scored one of Liverpools last 24 goals I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

nope he is right games will be postponed now if we get to the next round of the cup and Quarter Final and Semi Final are also on league weekends.

Quarter final is weekend we play Sunderand.

Semi Final is weekend we are scheduled to play Man City in what will be a massive game just before the 25th anniversary of Hillsborough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

imageuploadedbytfk-thefreekick-com1392245998-191621-jpg.1053

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

A lot of people not giving Spurs enough credit in here IMO. They have a tough March which will make or break them:

Chelsea and Liverpool away and Arsenal at home. But they have a decent 6 game run in after that. Lets hope they stay in the EL for good while.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Lloyd I love your complete hatred of Utd and joy at their misery !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

this time last year I was facing down the barrel. As Llyod said we were out of the race for everything, more or less. No cups to play for. It was all doom and gloom. He was guaranteed to leave in the summer.

Another name change within 18 months would have been hard to take

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

When Cissokho is the most solid and reliable of your back four you know you're in for a stressful evening

Flanagan could be a top player if his distribution improves but at the moment that area remains a key failing for him

centre-halves were dodgy yet again but that's a pattern that we've all recognised for a whiel now, agger looked good when he came on, maybe it'll be back to agger and skrtel for the run-in

suarez and sterling look a bit tired after being excellent for a while, maybe rest both for this weekend's game

hard to say how things will work out, if we beat our rivals at home we'll be in with a shot at the title, whereas we could still miss out on top 4 if we slip - very little margin for error, however I do think that Spurs will drop more than a few points

although results have been good lately I really hope we aren't looking back on the January window in May, whether it be because we just missed out on CL or just missed out in the league :eek:

huge three points yesterday, performance was poor but so was the pitch and fulham were set up very defensively - nice to be getting to the business end of the season and still being involved

other teams that shall not be mentioned can enjoy midtable obscurity for a while, our curve is upwards

Someone giving out about Flanagans distribution?

Someone obviously hasn't been paying attention to him considering it's one of the strongest parts of his game.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/9163858/world-cup-liverpool-striker-luis-suarez-fears-picking-up-knock-which-ends-brazil-dream

The 27-year-old added: "Let me tell you, I've made only two mistakes in my career. My first was when I was playing for Ajax and I bit an opponent. My second was when I bit (Branislav) Ivanovic.

"Those two were my only two mistakes as a footballer.

"I said I'm sorry and that was all, end of story. I've nothing else to regret. All the other things were like a movie that people in England believed in.

"The case with (Patrice) Evra was all false. I was accused without proof. But that's in the past. I was sad at that moment, but I'm happy today.

"I have grown up. I have thought more about things before doing them.

"Now people in England can't talk about me because I'm not doing anything wrong. They have to talk about me only as a footballer."

gafferino wrote: »
    A lot of people not giving Spurs enough credit in here IMO.

Agree, they're on our arse, like we're a transfer target. Any slip ups, they get 4th... and all our transfer targets. Beating Spurs to 4th is so important for next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

“There is a dream for Liverpool. You can only whisper it. Anything more than a whisper and it could vanish.”

donfers wrote: »
    When Cissokho is the most solid and reliable of your back four you know you're in for a stressful evening

Flanagan could be a top player if his distribution improves but at the moment that area remains a key failing for him

centre-halves were dodgy yet again but that's a pattern that we've all recognised for a whiel now, agger looked good when he came on, maybe it'll be back to agger and skrtel for the run-in

suarez and sterling look a bit tired after being excellent for a while, maybe rest both for this weekend's game

hard to say how things will work out, if we beat our rivals at home we'll be in with a shot at the title, whereas we could still miss out on top 4 if we slip - very little margin for error, however I do think that Spurs will drop more than a few points

although results have been good lately I really hope we aren't looking back on the January window in May, whether it be because we just missed out on CL or just missed out in the league :eek:

huge three points yesterday, performance was poor but so was the pitch and fulham were set up very defensively - nice to be getting to the business end of the season and still being involved

other teams that shall not be mentioned can enjoy midtable obscurity for a while, our curve is upwards

What is this?

Playing Arsenal in the cup, a trophy we want to win and you want our form players rested?

How do you reckon they look tired?

Seems to be an obsession here along with loaning players out during transfer window.

Why do people think that conditioned athletes in their prime need rests and can't play 2 games in a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Shankly Gates

Q6MmBZQ.gif

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

It's great to be in a position where we can look up as much as look down. I don't think realistically we will win the league, but to be in a position where we are in the mix somewhat is great coming towards the business end of the season. I'd love a bit more room behind us though to be honest. As things are shaping up there could be 6 teams on 70 points or more, which is unprecedented, but at the same time the winning total will be the lowest for a few years probably, with 82/83 likely to be enough.

A city/Chelsea draw in the cup next weekend would be great, especially with City's postponed game, as both have big CL ties coming up, and City in the LC final as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Players for the central and wide attacking positions next season could be

Suarez, Sturridge, Sterling, Coutinho, Suso, Teixeira, Borini (plus Konoplyanaka and maybe one other esp if Alberto is on loan) which would be a very tasty mix of talents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,284 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Well done to Cissokho lately hasn't put a foot wrong and looks to be growing in confidence. Another mark for Rodgers on improving another player.

Texiera looked very assured when he came on. We have some real exciting young talent. The mantra going forward should be bringing them into the 1st team and complimenting them with star players. Players like Moses and Aspas imo aren't better than what we have in the reserves.

I love the club to go out and buy a couple of world class players but I don't think there is anything better than seeing a lad like Flanagan or Sterling come through the ranks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Lloyd I love your complete hatred of Utd and joy at their misery !

These are golden days boys, enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

These are golden days boys, enjoy it!

How many crosses they have last night :D ... love Moysie! Please god they don't sack him. Have faith in AF and stand by your manager! HA!

I think it's time that some people realised that Sherwood isn't going to run Spurs into nothing. I said it 2 weeks ago that they were our only realistic challenger for 4th place, I stand by that, United and Everton are done. I'm actually fearing Adebayor at Anfield if we don't have Sakho back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

I think it's time that some people realised that Sherwood isn't going to run Spurs into nothing. I said it 2 weeks ago that they were our only realistic challenger for 4th place, I stand by that, United and Everton are done. I'm actually fearing Adebayor at Anfield if we don't have Sakho back.

Don't fear Spurs at home. Why should we? Newcastle are an awful outfit and they struggled to beat Everton although it was a close game. I'd not be worried about them coming here but i do agree they are our closest challengers for 4th and then 3rd. We should worry about them as much as Arsenal should worry about us catching them! They have some scary fixtures coming up. I'd like to see Spurs drop some points though for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

mike65 wrote: »
    Players for the central and wide attacking positions next season could be

Suarez, Sturridge, Sterling, Coutinho, Suso, Teixeira, Borini (plus Konoplyanaka and maybe one other esp if Alberto is on loan) which would be a very tasty mix of talents.

Ibe?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,275 ✭✭✭slingerz

For next season Liverpool could have a good squad once the loan players come back given their experiences on loan.

Mignolet - (Reina)

Johnson - Flanagan - Kelly
    Skrtel - Toure
    Agger - Sakho - Ilori
    Enrique - (Cissokho)

Lucas - Gerrard
    Henderson - Allen
    Coutinho - Suso - Texieria
    Sterling - (Moses)

Suarez - Sturridge - Aspas - (Borini)

slingerz wrote: »
    For next season Liverpool could have a good squad once the loan players come back given their experiences on loan.

Mignolet - (Reina)

Skrtel - Toure
    Agger - Sakho - Ilori
    Enrique - (Cissokho)

Lucas - Gerrard
    Henderson - Allen
    Sterling - (Moses)

hmm we still need additions in CM and FB positions.

slingerz wrote: »

Mignolet - (Reina)

Skrtel - Toure
    Agger - Sakho - Ilori
    Enrique - (Cissokho)

Lucas - Gerrard
    Henderson - Allen
    Sterling - (Moses)

Wisdom and Robinson to come back aswell. I seriously doubt we will sign Moses permanently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭brevity

Does anyone think we'd have a shot of getting this fella Griezmann? Seems to be doing very well for himself at Real Sociedad.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

If we hadnt got that late peno it would have been a rough night, both goals we conceeded, comical stuff , Toure and Skrtyl
    With Spurs playing so well I hope we can stop the errors at the back soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,284 ✭✭✭✭rob316

We just gotta keep winning, we are 3 points ahead with a far superior goal difference so effectively 4 and they still have to come here.
    I'll admit Im not that confident yet, we need to drag Arsenal into a 3/4th place battle as Spurs always choke against them.

Every game is a cup final but IMO we have 5 big games left Southampton/United away and Spurs/Chelsea/City at home. If we can win those 4th is ours.

brevity wrote: »
    Does anyone think we'd have a shot of getting this fella Griezmann? Seems to be doing very well for himself at Real Sociedad.

Finish in the top 4, he'd be a possibility and an incredible signing.
    Finish outside the top 4 and no chance.

4th is still a long way off. A lot of great work done, and a lot of hard work still left. A slip or two and it's all gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,275 ✭✭✭slingerz

Reckon if Moses and Cissokho are cheap, then the club may look to bring them in as squad cover. I'm sure the club will want to prepare for the competitions that they may be in next season.

Centre Mid is an obvious area to improve as is the attacking wide area (Kono)

A lot will depend on the wages that some players are on whether they'll be moved or their competition.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement