Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Superthread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,506 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Oh, a new thread!!.

Morning all, just had a really bad dream...

Looking forward to the Swansea game on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I freakin loved Rio for winning the game today. Great send off for Fergie. It's crazy how much the club owes one man.

The other day I was convinced that Rooney wanting to go was linked to Moyes coming in, but now I'm not so sure. Rooney has been moved about a lot this season so it is believable that he was pissed off with that. And if that is the case I think that him asking to leave is fair enough - he wants to play striker and has had enough of years of being shifted around, nothing unreasonable about that. But now Fergie is leaving, that all changes. If Rooney and Moyes truly have patched up their differences then there's no reason for Rooney to leave now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Wouldnt be surprised to see Evans leave in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I'd dump Rooney. This is the second time that we know of that he has tried to either leave United or try to use it for a new contract. Both times were under the Mr Iron Fist himself Alex Ferguson. Nothing against David Moyes but nobody could possibly have a reign on Man Utd like Fergie. There is very little doubt that Rooney will act the bollix again when Moyes is around if he did it under Alex Ferguson.

If United buy Bale and Moyes wants to play RVP up front on his own, Rooney clearly won't fit. If he ain't happy at United now, he will definitely be a bad apple in the dressing room next season. He carries too much baggage for Moyes to risk in his first season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Wouldnt be surprised to see Evans leave in the summer.

Any basis for this whatsoever? I would have thought this summer of all summers would be one for all of our younger defenders to sick around in, as Rio, Vida and Evra don't have many seasons left in them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭barry194

Dieing to see who Moyes goes for. A CM has to be number 1. What's everyones thoughts on getting Fellaini? Not too keen on him tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

article-2323400-19BE8D07000005DC-972_964x756.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Any basis for this whatsoever? I would have thought this summer of all summers would be one for all of our younger defenders to sick around in, as Rio, Vida and Evra don't have many seasons left in them.

Just he has been playing his best football and still cant become first choice. Jones and Smalling seem to be the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Just he has been playing his best football and still cant become first choice. Jones and Smalling seem to be the future.

Jones and Smalling don't have the amount of starts he's made at centre half this season together. He's come through the ranks here as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Love Jones but he's still a bit too raw. Dives in a lot when he should stand off.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Is nobody else going to comment on Headshot's triumphant return to the United Super Thread???

Beat me to it!
    Headshot wrote: »
    I was very surprised I didnt get a parade or somthing

Welcome back. Nothings changed bar one more trophy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Ah yes. Welcome back Headshot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,338 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

As great a player he is, and it can be underrated just how good he has been for United, Rooney seems to have a fairly reprehensible character. This is something that could really effect Moyes' reign if Rooney is still there when he comes in. If possible to sell him to Real, Barca, Bayern or PSG I would. Get someone in return and if it's any of the above mentioned clubs there is plenty of targets for exchange that would limit the loss of Rooney. I think he is on a downward spiral atm, he's still a world class player but there are many world class players around these days that would improve United more than the loss of Rooney would hurt imo.

I really believe that Kagawa, RVP, Carrick, hopefully Nani and the right 2 players around them can provide a world class front 6 next season and there is some players rumoured to be on the move that could really push the club forward. If Sanchez and Di Maria are leaving La Liga they should be targets for Moyes. Either of them and Fellaini or another versatile centre mid would be the dream and surely Moyes and the club will look to make a statement in the transfer window and I'm looking forward to a season more than I have been in a while already.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭F.J.

I have seen player exchanges mentioned a lot lately.I dunno why cause it rarely ever happens.
    If Rooney is sold hopefully it is too a team in different league.The sooner it is done the better too.Don't need a summer long saga revolving around a player leaving.Sending him to PSG would be ideal.Get on to Beckham to have a word and tell him living abroad isn't all bad.
    If he is sold so be it and if he stays he needs to get his head in gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,338 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

F.J. wrote: »
    I have seen player exchanges mentioned a lot lately.I dunno why cause it rarely ever happens.
    If Rooney is sold hopefully it is too a team in different league.The sooner it is done the better too.Don't need a summer long saga revolving around a player leaving.Sending him to PSG would be ideal.Get on to Beckham to have a word and tell him living abroad isn't all bad.
    If he is sold so be it and if he stays he needs to get his head in gear.

He wont move to PSG I feel with the tax rate there. Exchanges happen far less than they should imo. I mean, Arsenal could have gotten a couple of decent players off United last season for RVP I reckon. Them with Nani or Chico could have really improved this season, they chose the money and while they brought in some good players it didn't make a huge difference to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Tbh, with Rooney, he's still a good player, so whilst it'd be grand selling him to someone like PSG, I think it'd be better to leave him sit out his contract rather than selling him to Chelsea or City.

Although if selling Rooney means we have money to bring back Ronaldo or sign Bale, then **** it, and just sell him to anyone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

titan18 wrote: »
    Tbh, with Rooney, he's still a good player, so whilst it'd be grand selling him to someone like PSG, I think it'd be better to leave him sit out his contract rather than selling him to Chelsea or City.

Although if selling Rooney means we have money to bring back Ronaldo or sign Bale, then **** it, and just sell him to anyone.

I find it very amusing that Utd fans think theirs a chance Ronaldo is going to come back, Are Utd gonna pay the £100Million he will cost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

De Gea's got a fair amount of compilations already. We're giving him plenty to do I suppose :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

I have always rated Rooney as a genuine brilliant player (much more than even some people had given him credit for), and i think he has such a massive impact in our team, but (in otherwords) he can go **** himself. What more does this this man what? He is already the highest payed PL player ATM and after winning a championship, but it has never surprised me that Wayne will always look for money. I love the guy and hope he stays, but I will not blink an eye if the United faithful boo him next year.

2 transfer requests? Not even the likes of Messi wouldn't get away with that. So your toys are out of the pram. To hell with him

I find it very amusing that Utd fans think theirs a chance Ronaldo is going to come back

Why, what's the word around Dundalk?
    Are Utd gonna pay the £100Million he will cost?

You know for sure that this is what it would take? Ah well, given the fact that we got £80 million for him before, £20 million isn't a bad net spend for one of the greatest genuine talents in world football, past and present.

Indeed, we're clowns to dream about it never mind think there could be even the smallest chance of it happening sometime in the future.

P.S. It's there's, short for 'there is', thanks also for making a grammar nazi out of me, you almost made me use the rolleyes smiley, and I hate that f*cking thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Jut watched the full Scholes interview there and I feel like we could be besties. He's such a funny man. :D

Just watched it myself too Baz, what a f*cking man. The class is just flowing out of him, as if he was a class machine from the quadrant Class. Would it be wrong for me to give a future son of mine 'Paul Scholes' as his first name?? Loved that bit....Neville: Like...this is irritating you isn't it! Scholes: Yes.

Gas listening to him talk about Wayne's transfer request and Sir Alex's retirement as a means for him to slip out under the radar. Great interview between 2 mates, wouldn't be surprised if he only gave the interview to Sky on the condition that Neville was the one asking the questions. He speaks quite honestly and candidly, if you haven't watched it do so now!

It's sad that he is going...again...of course, but the notion of him one day becoming a great manager is tantalising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

iV7dVcBlRainq.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Shane.C

Vidic is a mad man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Pro. F wrote: »
    I freakin loved Rio for winning the game today. Great send off for Fergie.

It's not getting enough love is Rio's winner.

A centre back, who hasn't scored all season sealing the deal late on in a match?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

The problem with keeping rooney is where will he fit in. I don't see moyes playing 2 up front and rvp has the main position now. When rooney played behind the striker he was hit and miss and that position might suit kagawa better. And rooney doesn't do as well when pushed out wide and he would hardly accept rotating with rvp where 1 gets a lot of bench time

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I honestly don't want Rooney at the club, and if we can get a solid fee from the likes of PSG or another non-English club, then I would get rid.

He handed in a transfer request, and then came out saying just how sorry he was and that it was the biggest mistake he has ever made. He stated we wanted assurances that the club was going in the right direction regarding transfers. We sign RVP the following year. He gets a fantastic contract.

Not even two years later, he wants out again. Thanks for the goals and performances Wayne, but I want someone in the number 10 shirt that, you know, actually wants to play for the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Oh btw what a fantastic speech from SAF. He made the club this big, it was his efforts and hard work but he barely talked about his success. He talked about what ManUtd is all about, thanked everyone from Staff to the players, congragulated players for winning the league and asked everyone to get behind our new manager. That was fantastic. The one best thing about SAF is he barely talks about the past and how many titles he has won. It's always forward thinking and talks about future.

That's how it should be instead of talking about his past success and mentioning that in every interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Rio On Twitter:
    Has anyone checked to see if the net needs first aid?! Boooooom!

:pac:

I also love how much it clearly meant to everyone:

Rio-Ferdinand-Manchester-United-goal-v-Swanse_2943531.jpg

I f*cking love Man United!! And I swear I didn't cry during the Fergie tributes...no sir ee bob - no tears were shed at all - definitely not twice! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,279 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

nuxxx wrote: »
    iV7dVcBlRainq.gif

JAYZUS - HE COULD HAVE DIED!

Ian Abrahams (@BroadcastMoose) is saying we are getting fabregas this summer. Would absolutely LOVE it, but think either he, or his source, is BSing.

The Moose is almost certainly bullshítting.

Oh, would someone please upload that Vidic gif as a boards attachment, it's the only way I can see anything like that.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

JAYZUS - HE COULD HAVE DIED!

Ian Abrahams (@BroadcastMoose)
    Who's he?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Who's he?

A moose, a moose loose about this hoose

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭pitythefool

"David Moyes has not mentioned Strootman since it was announced that he was to become Man Utd manager for the 2013/2014 season"

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056946849&page=13

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I also worry about the fact that Rooney, if he stayed, could pull this again next year. If Moyes doesn't have a successful first season (in terms of winning trophies and failing to get top two in the league), he'll need everyone to rally round him and support him. If Rooney were to drop a transfer again then, it would be a massive blow to his reign as manager and be a PR disaster.

People say we need Rooney due to the shifts he put in in midfield. That, to me, just signals we need a proper midfielder. If the money from Rooney was reinvested into the midfield, I really don't think the squad would be significantly weaker without him, but the morale might be far higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Who's he?

Ian Abrahams

Sounds like some Amish dude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Who's he?

A complete spoofer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Not really surprised about Rooney's decision really. Can't really blame him scored 30+ goals last season and then get's moved out of position. Selling him to Chelsea would be a disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,342 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Can't really blame him scored 30+ goals last season and then get's moved out of position.

he gets the ambition he was looking for.

he throws his toys out of the pram.

yes, you can, and you should, blame him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Not really surprised about Rooney's decision really. Can't really blame him scored 30+ goals last season and then get's moved out of position. Selling him to Chelsea would be a disaster.

He's played in mostly the same position as he did last season.

Okay, he's played a few games in CM and out wide to accommodate Hernandez at times but for the most part he's been a regular in the position he played all last season.

Regardless of his previous performances, he had a good season last year but United didn't. This season we won the premier league and he had to contribute a few different ways. The club is what matters the most. If he prefers to scores goals over winning medals then he can do that somewhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Was very disapointed with the Rooney has conducted himself , as mentioned he's the highest paid player in the division and stated he wants assurances on signings, we do that and now toys are out of the pram again. I think the truth is as much as he talks about his love for Utd and winning with the team it's becoming obvious the limelight is more important to him and money.

Remember.
    'Once a blue always a blue'

'Rooney signs deal with Manchester Utd'

Apparently Sir Alex said on his ommision yesturday that 'Wayne didn't really seem up for it' that is a disgrace , the thing's Manchester Utd have done for him and Sir Alex and he can't ev n bring himself to play in his final home game to thank him because he wants to push threw his transfer. In my opinion regardless of his ability he is no longer a Utd player. That is not the way great utd players carry on.

Sell him but try get him out of England and he can be replaced. Falco , Lewandowski both excellent replacements.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭pitythefool

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Was very disapointed with the Rooney has conducted himself , as mentioned he's the highest paid player in the division and stated he wants assurances on signings, we do that and now toys are out of the pram again. I think the truth is as much as he talks about his love for Utd and winning with the team it's becoming obvious the limelight is more important to him and money.

Remember.
    'Once a blue always a blue'

'Rooney signs deal with Manchester Utd'

Apparently Sir Alex said on his ommision yesturday that 'Wayne didn't really seem up for it' that is a disgrace , the thing's Manchester Utd have done for him and Sir Alex and he can't ev n bring himself to play in his final home game to thank him because he wants to push threw his transfer. In my opinion regardless of his ability he is no longer a Utd player. That is not the way great utd players carry on.

Sell him but try get him out of England and he can be replaced. Falco , Lewandowski both excellent replacements.

Fabergas, Ronaldo or Bale would be more like it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

To be honest the more I watch Kagawa play the less worried I am about loosing Rooney.

If he stays we retain a top player, who hopefully will finally bury these silly notions of moving and dedicate himself to doing what he does best and that's driving the forward line.

If he goes, its £30-40m that can be used to bolster the midfield and possibly another big striker. But either way I'm not too fussed, I don't think Rooney hit the heights that he should have, be that down to a physical limitation he can't control, or some whispers in his ears, he just hasn't scaled the heights I expected he would.

I'd imagine the sale of Rooney would be also extra funds. I'd imagine that money has been put aside over the previous few months for targets so I don't think that we are reliant on the sale for new blood. I'd imagine the sale if anything would allow a bonus signing.

Considering Moyes arival, I think the Glazers would do wise to allow him a big star signing to show their support, to show the fans the club means business and to show rivals that even though SAF is gone, United are still a dominating force.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭BrownBear11

I don't think there's an exact replacement for Rooney in world football at the minute. A player with that versatility and work rate who is capable of scoring 20-25 goals a season is an excellent asset in any team and I don't think it's replaceable, regardless of who's signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

From bigsoccer forum..

KbpJa.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

Fellani + Fabregas > Rooney.

In seriousness I don't think we have a chance of getting Cesc, although that would be dream stuff.

If Rooney does go, and at this point, it wouldn't bother me, as long as we strengthen the midfield with 2 high quality players, 1 hard working box to box guy and 1 creative vision player (I thought clev would work here), then Rooneys goals will simply be scored by someone else. I think we have a young Mexican fella on the books with an eye for the onion bag. Hernandez deserves to be playing week in week out, not to mention Welbeck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 755 ✭✭✭sea_monkey

I hope rooney stays, such a brilliant player. to suggest cesc would give more for this club is unbelievable to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,279 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

If Rooney goes - we simply play Kagawa in his prefered position and see how that goes. the guy is a little gem and with a bit of faith could be an absolute star for us. As I, and others, have said previously - we'd be better off going for a winger or midfielder to replace Rooney, if we sell him.

The only issue I could see is that we would still posibly need to add a striker to the team, as an injury could leave us quite short - but it depends on whether Henriquez is any use and capable of being our 4th choice striker.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement