Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A4 both windows stopped working

Options
  • 28-01-2015 12:22pm

Hi, looking for some advice..I have an Audi A4 2006, about 3 months ago the passenger window stopped working, it won't move. I pulled it up so its closed and when we use the electric window switch it makes a whirring noise and nothing happens..I was waiting until I had the cash to get it fixed but yesterday the driver window has stopped as well. I googled this and its seems to be a window regulator is gone on both..but would it go on both so soon and out of the blue.
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

Ya. The fact they both went so close together is just a coincidence.

The problem with leaving things and not fixing them is by the time you have the money to fix it something else can go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

Please check if you can get a 'fix-it' kit on ebay before you do anything, not familiar with said kits but I'm sure you can.
    My uncles window went the same way, he was about to fork out a couple hundred€€€ but thank God he got in contact with me first... I got him a kit on ebay, his car was opel zafira... It could be just the cable, plastic clip etc etc.. Your motor is obviously running.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

It's almost certainly the cables of window regulator. They both went on my Passat within a few months of each other. It's not a surprise; they will wear out eventually and need to be replaced.

You CAN do it yourself, if you're competent, but if you're like me you'll make every mistake in the book. See this thread for just how stupid one can get. :)

Check out youtube for some "How to" videos of how it's done. You might get one for your very model as it's a common type. There's quite a few for the Passat.

Although my passenger one was only replaced a year and a half ago, it went again recently. I think I know why and won't bore you with it. I just replaced it again and now I have a terrible fiddly electrical problem. The fuse which governs the windows and courtesy lights keeps blowing. Again, I think I know why and if I fix it I will post a warning of yet another pitfall that can lie in wait for the fuddle fingered.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

The do go it's wear and tear.

There are no fix it kits for these because as snickersman pointed out it's the cable that fails,either comes off the pulleys and/or snaps.

I replaced one in my A4 only 2 weeks ago, the genuine regulator from a dealer was cheaper than the spurious one on micksgarage (b5 A4)

If you are anyway competent with tools and patient it's an easy DIY job. you will need a drill to drill out the old rivets and 6 new rivets (a few cent from the dealer) to attach the regulator to the door frame, i'm pretty sure the set up is the same on both B5 and B6. Marking the position of the wedges on the door frame before removing is essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

This happened on my A4 a month ago - got it fixed for €90

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for the advice...ill send it to the garage and get it fixed as im not great at anything technical and it would mean stripping the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭brophy

Same thing happened as you describe to my A4 - needed a new drivers side regulator.

999alg-12084l-1.jpg

They look like this can be got for 45euro delivered took me about 2 hours to do it as watched the youtube video when doing it but all went okey dokey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭donnacha

This happened on my A4 a month ago - got it fixed for €90

My 2004 A4 drivers door window went yesterday. electrics still working. Went to my local garage (near bakers corner) and he is quoting me €330 for non genuine audi one of €390 for genuine one. Have looked at videos on youtube and would rather get a garage to do it as I'll only mess it up. I could do with price being closer to €100 for a fix - any chance you could PM me details where you got yours fixed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

donnacha wrote: »
    My 2004 A4 drivers door window went yesterday. electrics still working. Went to my local garage (near bakers corner) and he is quoting me €330 for non genuine audi one of €390 for genuine one. Have looked at videos on youtube and would rather get a garage to do it as I'll only mess it up. I could do with price being closer to €100 for a fix - any chance you could PM me details where you got yours fixed?

Probably best i dont, it went again a couple of weeks ago!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

tossy wrote: »
    I replaced one in my A4 only 2 weeks ago, the genuine regulator from a dealer was cheaper than the spurious one on micksgarage (b5 A4) .....

Mine went in my B5 a few weeks ago (cable has snapped) and Sheeys want €170 for the kit whereas I can get one on Micksgarage for €71. Where did you get your genuine one and how much did it cost?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

The wiring inside the drivers door harness (pic below) is known to deteriorate from constant opening and closing in audi a4's. I had the same problem with my a4 (windows not working) and had to resolder some cracked wiring inside the harness which fixed the problem. Might be worth checking..

http://img-2013.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/31/gezaruje.jpg

http://imagizer-cv.imageshack.us/a/img37/2610/20120917122250.jpg

Advertisement