Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build a NAS box from an old computer or buy one?

Options
  • 25-03-2014 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi i am a bit of a newbie to this so I thought i would ask on here.

I want to set up a home network. Currently I have 4 external hard drives which I use for storing videos, photos and backing up my computer. Every time I want to watch a movie or edit some photos I have to find the correct hard drive and plug it in which is a pain. What i want is to walk into by house, plug the laptop into the TV and be able to watch anything in my XBMC library or edit photos . From google I have discovered that NAS, Network Attached Storage is what i am looking for.

My question is do i buy a dedicated NAS Box or do I do it DIY?
    There are a lot of tutorials for turning an old computer into a NAS unit. I have an old Dell inspiron 6400 laptop, 2 gb Ram. Is this a plausable option. Do I just set it up as per the tutorials and attach the hard drives via the USB ports or are the tutorials aiming more at desktop computer towers. I am worried that leaving the laptop on 24/7 might be dangerous, will it overheat and burn out or cause a fire? Can i turn off the graphics processer or something so it wont use as much energy?

I am a complete newbie to this field so any advice would be very much apprecieated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

You've 4 USB ports on the Insp6400, if you're using powered enclosures you could run 4 drives. You could also replace the DVD drive with a hard disk caddy (like this) if you have an IDE 2.5 drive. If you give it a de-fluff, overheating shouldn't be an issue, it won't be doing much work. Connect to your router by cable, with a static IP address. You could also add USB ports with a ExpressCard34 adapter, for prob an extra 4 ports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭thenashlegend

If it was me, I'd just buy a dedicated NAS. Old Pc's are going to be power heavy when left on and they'll never be as economical as the newer NAS devices. Just something to keep in mind though, if you buy a 2GB NAS you really only get 1GB storage due to the RAID configuration. So whatever space you require you'll need a NAS of twice the size.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 milkjunkie90

Thanks for the tips lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you wanted to tinker I'd try it. Performance wont be great but itll cost next to nothing.

The Inspiron only has a 65W power brick, probably only draws 30ish watts at idle which is quite light, my ULV home server draws 55w.

You can disable wifi, set it so that you can close the lid to disable the screen without it shutting down, set a conservative power plan and it should run pretty cool and quiet. Leave the battery out, no need to have it trickle charging.

USB2.0 buses will bottleneck it but a few devices pulling from it should manage fine.

Advertisement