Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Camera Laws?

Options
  • 19-09-2014 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I am thinking of putting up a camera at my local surf spot just because it drives me crazy when I drive there and the surf is no good. I agreed with a local that I could put a camera from his house looking down at the beach. Firstly I have no idea how to even set this up, but what I was wondering was would I be breaking any laws by doing this?
    The camera is intended for waves but would probably have people in it too either surfing or walking around.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I'd guess if its a public place it would be legal. Maybe a courtesy sign would be nice? Maybe ask in the Legal Discussion forum.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Offhand such would likely fall under the dats protection laws. Issues would be if the video is being recorded, then would fall under the act. As mentioned a notice would be courteous.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭KpsCowley

Thanks for the comments guys.

Interesting what you were saying about recording. I wouldn't need to record, but could I share the link with friends?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Tentatively yes. In that it is a public locale and not invading the privacy rights of another, fairly similar to a typical webcam. Slightly OT but it is hardly likely ye'd be using the new facial recognition from FBI to spy on people, the purpose being to check the ocean instead.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭KpsCowley

Great, thank you for the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Tabnabs wrote: »

plus, the following is also relevant;

http://www.dataprotection.ie/viewdoc.asp?DocID=242

but note, the term recogniseable used in terms of incorporating CCTV into dataprotection as personal data.

If the camera is far enough away then it may not constitute personal data in so far as no one is recognisable - just the scene.

Best ring the data protection office for more formal advice.

Advertisement